Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jokaty82
Beginner May 2012

St Albans vs. Watford Bridal Shops

Jokaty82, 22 of February of 2011 at 10:05 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hello All,

I am pretty sure I have found my dress, but I am quite impulsive so to be sure, I am having 2 more days of appointments at Bridal Shops to be sure. As have messed up one time already, so dont want to do it again.

I have one day of appointments all booked and sorted. Now to sort the second. Only thing is I cant decide whether to go to St Albans or Watford.

In St Albans there is - Satin Bow Bridal, Anns Bridal and Impression Bridal

Watford - Avica Bridal, Young Bride & Groom and Brides 2 Be.

Has anyone been to any of the above and experienced any of them????

Then there is also All Things Bride & Beautiful in either Aylesbury or Buckingham. Aylesbury is slightly closer, but cant find any others close by to that so will be an expensive journey just to go to one shop xxx

13 replies

Latest activity by babybay24, 25 of February of 2011 at 11:25
  • O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

I bought mine in Berketex Watford but it looked like a jumble sale ! Satin Bow in St Albans said their dresses started at £2000 - £2500 so I didn't bother even though it is closer to me. Younss Bride and groom had alot of selection. The best service I got by far was at mignoinette The Chapel in Slip end and they had the most varied selection. They also had all the right corsetry and accessories.

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about brides2b in the st Albans road, Watford? It's run by a friend of mine and every bride I have ever worked on who got their dress from there raves about the service they received. Juliet

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to base my answer on the fact that Watford is just such a pain to get to, park and toget out again. I really don't like Watford the Road and Traffic are just awful sometimes.

St Albans would win it for me. But in the local areaa you have 2 nice shops in Berkhamsted, and there is an OK one in Hemel Hempstead. I've also heard of another really nice one, but I've not visited it in King Langley.

Not sure where you are basd, but we also have a couple of nice ones here in Welwyn.

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    Sara-Jane ·
    • Hide content

I went to most of these shops, I really liked Young Bride & Groom they had some beautiful dresses and were really helpful and fun! I found the dresses in there much more to my taste I found loads I liked. I also went to Avica Bridal, they were also very nice - a family run place - so much more flexible, let me take photos etc but there selection was much smaller. With the St Albans ones I did make an enquiry with Satin Box but she was due some new stock in at the end of Feb and said it would be best to wait till then (but i ve already bought my dress now). I went to Impressions again very nice people but I found there dresses a little old fashioned but thats just my taste. My favorite was Young Bride & Groom and there is also Berketex next door. Good Luck xx

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Youngs Bride and Groom and Berketex are next door to each other and at the other end of the high st to the Hrlequin so parking in the Sainsburys there is easy and a 2 min walk then. I think alot of these are so different it would depend on your budget and what you are after. Why not ring them all and ask their starting and average price if you are on a budget and then decide ?

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    LolaBelle ·
    • Hide content

I have got my dress from Ann Bridal in St Albans, I have found the ladies in the shop to very helpful and honest (in a good way!) Nothing but praise for them

• F
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I went to Young Bride and Groom the lady there was very helpful.. I parked in the Sainsbury's and walked over no issue really..

I didn't buy my dress from her but they were by far the nicest dress experience I had.. Also there was a nice shop in Northwood (i think) I went to..

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

There's also Losners in St Albans, although they rename their dresses so you can't find them elsewhere so take a good peek at the name of the designer.

I went bridesmaid dress shopping in Watford and it was terrible compared to St Albans. Young bride and groom had four dresses!

• paddyandlin
    Beginner May 2011
    paddyandlin ·
    • Hide content

We did watford for dresses we found Young Bride was good and Browns Watford was great for Bridesmaid and Bride dressess

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I would never shop in browns out of principle. I went in there once years ago looking for a BM dress for myself. My daughter was 3 months old and I was still breastfeeding. I was looking at a dress and an assistant appeared and said to me 'I wouldn't look at that dress as it has no support for a lady as big as you' - how rude!!! I came out of there in tears :-(

• paddyandlin
    Beginner May 2011
    paddyandlin ·
    • Hide content

Isn't funny how people get diffrent services we found Browns really helpful, where as B2B i had awful trouble with the woman calling me back to arrange an appointmnet gave up in the end.

• Gabbance
    Beginner February 2012
    Gabbance ·
    • Hide content

I went to Avica Bridal. The people in there were nice but very small selection of dresses (I want something lacy and they had nothing!!) and I also felt quite rushed in there compared to another shop I went to (in Bishops Stortford). I also really felt like they were trying to sell the dresses without actually caring what they looked like on!!

If you are happy to travel a bit I would really recommend The White Boutique in Bishops Stortford. They had a really nice selection of dresses and a really big changing room that was all closed off so you were just in there with whoever you took, and the people in there were really nice as well - were helpful and honest without trying to sell you anything!! You could also take pictures which is really helpful.

I'm off to Youngs in Watford in a couple of weeks so will report back!! x

• B
    Beginner
    babybay24 ·
    • Hide content

I used to work at a wedding dress shop in Watford and we always had people coming in complaining how rude Browns were. It seemed they were nice if you were a size 12 and looked like you had money. We heard some people were refused service as their weddings were too far away! I wouldn't even step in the door of a shop like that!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics