Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WickyWack
Beginner July 2013

Stairs bulkhead/box in spare room *flash*

WickyWack, 11 of September of 2014 at 11:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

Not really sure what you call it but we have this box in our smallest bedroom which is for the headroom of the stairs IYKWIF..

This is a picture stolen off Zoopla of another house in the street who have gotten rid of the box and are just left with the slope - its such a weird and difficult thing to work with!

Any suggestions? I'm assured that a lot of 1930's/early semi's have these but I wonder how everyone else makes better use of it.

Before

after

13 replies

Latest activity by laurafish, 12 of September of 2014 at 12:40
  • *RMD*
    Beginner April 2015
    *RMD* ·
    • Hide content

Why would you want a slope in your bedroom? that's odd to me!

I would use it for storage shelf or find drawers that fit on top of it maybe?

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

We have a bookcase sat on ours atm, along with about 5 boxes of books!!

Next door said there's was made into a wardrobe but looked to big and oppressive. Thing I'll just make ours into shelving I reckon

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

The slope is totally weird - what a waste of the space!

I think your 'box' is fine! ? Ok - not perhaps ideal but it's only in your spare room. I'd put shelving above it then use the top as the bottom shelf sort of idea, then it's useful.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Built in bed (Child's) over the top of it, with storage in the remaining under-bed space.

Or built in wardrobe on the top (no good for ballgowns of course, but enough hanging space for shirts)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Like AC suggests, when we bought our house the lady had a small bed for her grandson built right up to it and then used the box bit as a shelf for his TV/games thingy. I think a shelf/box shape is far more useful than a slope.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

My old room at my Mums was the box room. I used the "box" as a desk. Was perfect for when I was doing my art homework.

When I moved out, my Dad built a bed over it, for my son. It meant there is lots of storage underneath, and more floor space to play with.

The slope is a total waste of space.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I had this in my other house in the box room, its much better boxed off rather than slant, which mine was and was a complete waste of space

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I have one of these. It currently stores all my office & printer stuff but is currently very messy.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I have one in my bathroom - it is used as a very large and annoying shelf. And a place to bang your knee while you wee.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

We have one and like others have said, we have a bed built over it.

Agree with the rest, the slope is much more pointless, at least you can put things on a box!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'm surprised that so many of you have them - I've never seen one before now!

On a similar note - I looked at a house in my area on rightmove that was exactly the same layout as my cousin's - obviously from the same 'kit' and it was very weird!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

We have this in our main bedroom, but ours is huge. I have a trunk thingy on ours. And I also use it as a dumping space, where I dump my clothes over the duration of the week, haha. Ideally, I'd like to box it in and put shelves in there, but then we'd have nowhere for the TV and H would not be happy about that.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Just to add, found a photo on my work computer that explains what I (and probably everyone else) mean:

This is before we moved in, we were renting it out. As you can see the tenant wasn't really making use of the room for what it's meant for, but you can get the idea hopefully. So the white bit sticking out is the stair box, and then everything from the stair box to the wall is now storage - the wood part is doors.

The only other place a bed could have fit in that room is to come out in front of the radiator so this made sense - my OH actually built this as he used to live in our house with his parents, many years ago Smiley smile

Hope that helps to see it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics