Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner April 2016

Starter ideas needed, please help!!

MrsBtobe2016, 23 of January of 2016 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi all, Hoping someone can help, we had our tasting last night and cannot decide on a starter at all and it's stressing me out!! Our main is chicken on a bed of mushroom risotto with parmesan shavings, and dessert is a rich chocolate thing with mango sorbet. The two starter options we had for our tasting were a risotto cake, which I loved but we obviously can't have risotto and risotto, and the other one was goats cheese balls with sun-dried tomatoes and chorizo. We did like this, and love goats cheese, but the balls reminded me of those frozen brie portions you get in cheap restaurants, not the look I'm going for!! I hate pate/terrine etc, and don't want melon or soup or a cheese tart, so wondering if anyone can help me out with ideas which will complement the other courses please? Thank you!!! Smiley smile Smiley smile Smiley smile

11 replies

Latest activity by MrsLBtoB, 25 of January of 2016 at 11:38
  • S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

What about something light to start with? I would say with your main and desert being pretty rich/filling then something simple like a great salad might go down well. There are loads of nice salads which can be done, beetroot and goats cheese is one of my favorites. Another option is carpaccio of beef or carpaccio of vegetables (thinly sliced usually with a dressing and rocket).

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

How about sharing platters of antipasti? Parma ham, olives, cheeses, breads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar? Ties in with your Italian main, a very social way of eating to get guests talking and sharing, plus people can pick and choose what they like.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsBtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both, I think a salad might be a good option but although I love beef carpachio we have some fussy eaters coming and I'd be concerned they wouldn't like it! Smiley sad We love antipasti bit are having that for our evening food instead of a traditional buffet, so can't do it as a starter too. This is so difficult isn't it!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsBtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Do you think a spiced fish cake would be too much with the other courses? Also thinking of a bruschetta?! So confused!!!! ??

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Mmmmmm bruschetta would be nice, especially if it had some goats cheese on it!

• B
    Beginner March 2016
    BuryBride ·
    • Hide content

We've chosen crab cakes with a chilli and lime dip and salad. Might work for you too.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this too when I read the OP.

You could also do a simple tomato, mozarella, basil salad.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsBtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, we both like bruschetta but not sure if it's special enough for a wedding (it's what we have when we go to pizza express!!) and also is it too similar to the antipasti we're having in the evening? I've just ha a look at the menus and Thai fish cakes are an option, but not sure if this goes with our main course? Argghhhhh!!!

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

One of our options was pan-fried king prawns with chilli and lime on a bed of rocket. It was really popular with our guests (we had several options and guests pre-ordered).

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yummeeeee. This for me please!

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I'm not great at knowing what goes with what to be honest, but here are the options our venue gave us in case they give you any inspiration:

Chargrilled Local Asparagus with a deep fried poached egg & shaved pecorino
    Buffalo Mozzarella marinated in creme fraiche, pea & mint bruschetta & pea shoots
    Portland Crab with shaved fennel, celery & wild rocket, lemon aioli
    Pomodoro Soup with warm focaccia
    Trio of Crostini, chicken liver parfait, black olive tapenade & tomato, mozzarella & basil, with new season’s olive oil
    Tortellini stuffed with buffalo ricotta, lemon zest, chilli & pine nuts with marjoram butter & parmesan
    Ravioli of Jersey Royals, mascarpone & pancetta with sage butter & parmesan

We have gone for the first two and the crostini.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

Could they maybe do the starter you like but not the balls of goats cheese? could it be slices instead?

That way you get to keep the starter you like?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics