Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2023 Merseyside

Stepfamilies and buttonholes/corsages

Amy, 1 of April of 2023 at 06:56 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 6
Hi,

Both my parents and H2Bs are divorced, with both my parents and H2Bs dads having other partners on the scene from our teen years. All are remarried and official ‘step’ parents.

H2Bs mum has recently acquired a boyfriend. There is an unpleasant back story here and he hasn’t done much to show us he has changed. Initially he wasn’t actually invited to the wedding being quite new however we’ve now invited him to keep MIL2B happy.
MIL2B is now asking about buttonholes for the two of them… Initially I was thinking just groom, best man, page boys and my dad who is giving me away for these and none for the women, however it seems both the mums are unhappy about this. How do I navigate this? Can we give the 7 biological and step parents something and not the new boyfriend? I barely know him and certainly don’t trust/like him so don’t want him being recognised as ‘important’ however that feels harsh. Or do we just give them to the men involved and upset both mums? Either way H2Bs mum will be upset as she understandably thinks her new man is great and would want him involved in the same way as the step parents who have been in our lives for many years.
To avoid all the politics there’s just me and H2B on top table also! Help! And thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by Emily, 6 of April of 2023 at 17:14
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

If you have decided not to give a buttonhole to your stepdad, when he has been around since you were a teenager, then I don't see why the new boyfriend that you don't like would get one.

You are only giving something to your Dad because he has a specific role, so it's not like you are picking and choosing which parents get flowers.Do you know why the Mums are unhappy about not getting a corsage/buttonhole? I know it's become trendy now to do this but I've personally never understood it.
  • A
    Beginner August 2023 Merseyside
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    I’m not sure re the mums - I think H2Bs mum has just assumed she will have something and my mum has been to a few weddings lately whereby all family have had them so likewise she has assumed. I just worry that by giving all 7 parents and step parents something but not the boyfriend it will cause problems with MIL2B but then the only solution is to leave everyone out except my dad and my mum get annoyed too…! Either way, the boyfriend isn’t getting anything and he won’t be in the family photos, just not sure whether it’s customary to extend button holes to stepdad, FIL2B and the mums etc?!
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could you explain to your Mum that it would be a lot of extra money if all parents got something, because your situation is larger than most? If you are clear with her that your Dad was going to be the only parent with a buttonhole so she will be in same position as your FMIL then she might be ok with that.

We didn't do personal flowers for anyone, only as decorations, but if we did it would only have been for my Dad, not inlaws, my Mum or Stepmum. I don't think it's customary to extend to those people and you don't need to follow the latest trend if it doesn't fit with the wedding you pictured.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The simplest way is probably to limit buttonholes to the wedding party - or even just your OH. While most people would understand the difference between a parent's marriage partner of many years and a new boyfriend/girlfriend, it sounds as if MILTB will kick off over this, so for the sake of keeping the peace, I'd go 'wedding party only' on this. If other family members want to provide their own buttonholes, they can do so.

• J
    Savvy April 2024 West London
    Joanna ·
    • Hide content
    Gosh. It's complicated. Everyone may have a view on all different type of things at a wedding. Keep it to what you want. You can always say you are sticking to budget and move on. I'm doing that
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    We didn't do buttonholes or corsages for anyone. If you choose this route, no one can be upset. If you decide to do buttonholes, I agree with your initial thoughts- just the few men.
    Good move on the sweetheart table too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics