Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nutella
Beginner March 2013

Stepping off the property ladder. Would you?

Nutella, 13 April, 2013 at 11:41 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

Bear with me...

So about a year ago, I took a job which requires me to commute from west london to north hampshire, it's about an 1/1.5hrs each way and involves a painful section of the M25. This decision was taken because we have decided to move after the wedding to Berkshire, which our desired area would leave me only 20mins from work. We were both in full time employment and I have an existing mortgage on our 1 bed flat so obtaining a larger joint mortgage wouldn't be too difficult.

Since I took the job, my H's own job situation has changed and he is now essentially self employed for the last 6months. It would appear this is going to make getting a new mortgage rather more difficult than we thought. We are now married and quite frankly, desperate to move. My commute is starting to take it's toll and despite not necesarily wanting a baby right now, we would like to know we're in a position to be able to once we are ready, ie having a house big enough. We'd also like to be able to enjoy life a bit more which for us means getting a dog, being able to have people round for dinner, have bbqs in the summer etc.

If we sold the flat, and moved into a slightly bigger place (but not as big as we want to buy), we'd end up paying about the same per month by the time we factor in how much we would save on fuel.

But is it stupid to consider stepping off the property ladder? Or actually is it sensible to be realistic?

WWYD?

ETA - we have an appt at the end of the month with the mortgage advisor at the bank I have my current mortgage with to see where we might stand but I am not hopeful and trying to think through plan b just in case. H is in denial and is insistant that his income won't be an issue which is why I want a professional to advise us as hopefully even if it is bad news, he will actually listen from them better than from me!

4 replies

Latest activity by Kjay, 13 April, 2013 at 20:14
  • Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I must admit my instinct is no, although I completely understand where you are coming from. Would renting out your place while you living and renting elsewhere be an option? I'd be looking at this first.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I thought that too but I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to rent out under the terms of my mortgage, happy to be proved wrong though! I'd also be worried about being tied into a rental agreement myself and then my tenant moving out and being left with both rent and mortgage to pay.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I would keep hold of your flat until you would be ready to buy together Nuts. Nothing wrong with letting it out and renting elsewhere. It would also mean you could rent somewhere a bit bigger (small house with outside space perhaps) and nearer work, and so hopefully still be able to save a bit more. Then when you are ready to buy, you can get something a little more futureproof.

If you need a mortgage adviser, let me know. My friend, who is cabin crew, just got a mortgage, and it's notoriously difficult for cabin crew to get mortgages, due to their pay structure.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Bods this mortgage advisor, are they in berkshire? If so then details would be awesome please. ?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I agree with t'others.

Slightly different but my big bro has moved in with his girlyfriend and put his house on to a buy to let mortgage.

If I was desperado I would rent elsewhere but keep my place rented out even if it meant more paper work etc I always remember my dad saying money is best kept on bricks and mortar- or something to that effect.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics