Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jasmine
Curious August 2023 Norfolk

Stillwhite and dress sizing

Jasmine, 16 of January of 2022 at 16:28 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 9
Hello everyone,
So I have absolutely fallen in love with Madi Lane dresses. I probably could just about stretch to buy one new but I’d much rather try and find one second hand. I think I would feel guilty spending £1600 on a dress! I have seen quite a few on the website StillWhite. Has anyone used this before? Would you recommend?
Also, I’m thinking is it worth going to a bridal shop and trying on some Madi Lane dresses first to get a feel for style and sizing? Im only 5’1 so I know I’m going to have to have anything I buy massively shortened anyway but I have heard sometimes wedding dress sizing also runs small. Also I’m worried about feeling pressured to buy one in store or falling in love with one and turning it down in the hope of finding it cheaper second hand. Any advice much appreciated!

9 replies

Latest activity by Samuel, 20 of January of 2022 at 10:08
  • Jess
    Dedicated October 2022 Worcestershire
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    Wedding dress sizes run massively small. I said yes to the dress only yesterday and I’m currently a size 12 (hoping slim down!) and my waist was measured at an 18-20 on the basis of the designer of my dress!! Obviously that’s just a number and its so clearly wrong but it could make buying a dress online tricky!
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Definitely going try on, sizing is one thing but I tried on my dream dress and hated it, fell in love with something complelty unexpected so you must try before you buy something online. When you get there tell them you are not looking to buy today, they will likely scale back the experience, but that is ok, you really want to get a feel for the dress first and make out like you will be back. Good luck x
  • Jasmine
    Jasmine ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for your feedback. I have found a dress in a sample sale that I'm hoping to try on. Its still more than I could be spending if buying second hand but at least I will get the chance to try on first! And if I don't like it then I can at least try on their other ones too to get an idea.

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Ooh this is interesting - I am obsessed with Madi Lane too!! I have two designs I am torn between and have just today dropped a message to my local retailer asking about trying them on. I know alterations are a really common thing with dresses and typically you buy quite far in advance before having multiple fittings leading up to your date. So basically I guess I'm recommending trying on to see if something fits you like a glove. Personally I'd rather spend the money than feel disappointed or uncomfortable in an ill-fitting dress and then have that come through in all the photos... I've never heard of StillWhite though, might be worth asking them what they do in terms of recommendations?

(P.S. to Jess's comment on sizing - OMG that is absolute madness!!)

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Hey again Jasmine! I just had another look on Madi Lane today and noticed when you go on the detailed info when looking at a dress it specifically says their dresses are not available online and only in selected retailers... if StillWhite is second hand it might be okay but would hate for you to get scammed online so thought I'd mention!

• Alexa
    Beginner August 2023 Essex
    Alexa ·
    • Hide content

I also adore Madi Lane dresses. I was considering buying from StillWhite. I know on the listings the seller can put the exact measurements for Bust/Waist/Hips. If it's not listed you can always message the seller to find out.

I went into a bridal boutique to try on the particular Madi Lane dress I was wanting with the intention of just seeing if I did like it as much once wearing it. However, I ended up putting a deposit down on even though I didn't really want to commit to paying £1800 for a dress. Unfortunately I'm terrible at feeling pressured when it comes to sales people.

• Jasmine
    Jasmine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Chloe,

They’re gorgeous aren’t they! Since I’ve seen them no other dresses can compare! And stillwhite is a second hand resale wedding dress site. But I’m wary of buying one online anyway! I now have an appointment in February to try on some dresses and a few are in the sale so I may get lucky there! If not then at least I will have more of an idea of size and style ☺️
  • Jasmine
    Jasmine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Alexa,

I’m exactly the same. I now have an appointment to try some on and some are in their sample sale so hopefully I’ll get lucky. I just know I’m so easy to sell to! I just say yes! And I hope you’re happy with your dress! At least it’s peace of mind seeing it before you buy which you can’t get properly online
  • Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Completely with you - they've ruined all other dresses for me! You've inspired me to book in to try on soon too! Good luck shopping Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics