Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner September 2015

Storing dress before the big day

Future*mrsP, 26 of October of 2014 at 20:46 Posted on Planning 0 10

Not sure if this is a stupid question. I bought my dress home a couple of days ago (well actually its at my mums to stop me trying it on daily! ). We get married in Sept 2015. I bought a breathable gown bag from the shop and it is now hanging up, in the gown bag, in my mums spare room. Will it be ok in there for the next 10 months? Should i be doing anything else? Amy advice appreciated.

10 replies

Latest activity by halloweeny, 27 of October of 2014 at 12:11
  • Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

How come you have got it so early?

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its off the peg... first one i tried on, although i did try on others and very nearly bought another one. Never expected to find one so quickly but i couldn't have walked away from it!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I'mGetting married auguSt 2015 and got to pick my dress up by 6th November! Davids bridal don't store dresses unfortunately! So mines also going to be kept in my parents house until 6 weeks before the wedding when I have to take it back to the shop for alterations. I wasn't worried about storing it for so long......until now!! Lol

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Heathy2b ·
    • Hide content

I'm panicking now too! Lol. Picked mine up from David's 4 weeks ago, getting married May 2015. Think I'll phone the shop to confirm storage instructions.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I ordered mine in September, due to get it in Jan/feb time. I will be storing mine for 10 months also. I have the option of the shop keeping it for me but they charge a fee for this, so unsure now whether to just pay the fee. Other wise it will stay at my mums also up till six weeks before for alterations. In sure they just store it the same way as we are probably planning on doing. How different are they going to store it from us? Is it worth me paying the extra? Got me thinking now lol.

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress off the peg in October last year . I was able to take advantage of their installment scheme for 3 months but I paid it all by Christmas and took the dress home. I got married on the 17th October this year and my dress stayed in a gown bag hanging on my wardrobe door and I had no problems with it . The shop advised me to take it out of the plastic and put it in either a white duvet or a gown bag

• S
    soosiebloo ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry ladies. My dress was made by my Mum in 1980 I found it in a small cardboard box in my loft about 3/4 years ago (we have moved house once) I machine washed it and put it a vacuum sealed bag until a month ago when I hung it up it a linen clothes bag because my youngest daughter wants to use it for her wedding dress. I will be de-constructing it and making a completely different style (if it works) for her wedding.

If your dress is a bit creased you could steam it with a hand steamer very useful and not too expensive.

• L
    Beginner August 2015
    Lindsey-15 ·
    • Hide content

Mine arrived in August this year a few months earlier than expected but I don't get married until August 2015!

I emailed the designer of my dress to ask for advice on storage and they advised to leave it either hung in the bag provided (breathable dress bag) or to store it in a ph neutral wedding dress box.

I chose to store it in a dress box because I figured I'd need one anyway after the wedding and it was less hassle to have it hanging up in the spare bedroom as it was always in the way (wardrobe isn't big enough!) I keep checking on it and because it's wrapped in layers of tissue it's a job to wrap back up so I definately won't be trying it on! A few months before the wedding I'll get it out to hang out any creases which might have come and then it'll be altered and steamed before the wedding Smiley smile

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I had mine hung up for 10 months and it was fine. You'll be trying it on several times so it'll get moved about.

If you wanted to you could get a storage box, but i wouldn't bother.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics