Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SillyWrong
Beginner October 2014

Strangers as witnesses

SillyWrong, 25 of March of 2014 at 13:33 Posted on Planning 0 12

So we've all heard about people who pull strangers off the street as witnesses - what do you think about it? We're planning on doing it - but I'm worried now that we won't be able to find anyone, or that people will think we're bonkers, or, worst case scenario, we'll end up with some homophobes shouting us down ... really, I just need you to tell me that it will be OK!!

12 replies

Latest activity by Ddpunk, 25 of March of 2014 at 17:27
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you'll have any problems at all. I can think of nothing nicer than being approached out of the blue like that. But, there's nowt as strange as folk so you will have to make a bit of a judgement call when you're scouting for folk I guess. Ask the registrar if they have staff who are allowed? Or rather than total strangers - you could place a wanted add in the local paper which could be fun. All depends how keen you are for total strangers.

I don't know if anyone/s never found someone to do it so I'm sure you'll be fine.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I may well haunt the streets of Manchester when it's your wedding SW!!! I'd loooove to be grabbed to be someone's witness! I think most people would feel this way and I doubt very much you'll grab a lunatic or a homophobe. Good luck!!!

• Lady V
    Beginner November 2015
    Lady V ·
    • Hide content

Personally if i got approached to do this i would happily IF i had a spare half hour, and these days people are so short of time that you might find that it's not necessarily finding people that are willing that's a problem but those that are able...the ad in the paper thing might be a good idea. If you do want to literally get strangers off the street i would make sure you give yourself plenty of time to find people.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all - Bekki - you're welcome to come be our stranger! ha ha - we were talking about it yesterday and I asked OH if I should just put an ad on hitched!!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

It never occured to me to volunteer, I could totally do it! But then would it take away some of the excitement of asking strangers...?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant! It's in Stockport on a weekday morning - I'm actually not keen on asking strangers, OH is excited about it so I would have to make sure she was up for hitchers!

She was saying about getting there early to find someone, but if we get there an hour before, then find someone, then they'd have to wait an hour with us!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

If I was asked I'd totally do it. Our witnesses will be strangers but we don't have to find them, the hotel provides them, but I'd quite enjoy going on a witness hunt!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Let me know when - unless something really important is happening at work on that day I'd be happy to Smiley smile

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Oh i'd kill for this to happen to me! i'd LOVE to do it. when we went to give notice at the registry office, i went in my work clothes on the off chance someone may be witness hunting (talk about your long shots eh? lol) so i'd look smart and approachable lol

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Yes i AM a total sad-case lol

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Thanks InkedDoll!! I'll give you a shout closer to the time (1st Oct) Smiley smile

And thanks everyone for chucking an extra bit of confidence my way!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I have this theory that every hitched bride should have at least one other hitcher at their wedding - I think we should start a trend ?

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I'm in manchester and would love to help if you get stuck! I've even been practicing my caligraphy for my signature Smiley winking ha.

OH and I thought we were going to be in the same situ (marrying in NYC) but somehow we have 4 guests now!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics