Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2017

Strangers on the evening guest list

lucyjo, 10 of March of 2017 at 15:51 Posted on Planning 0 5

I've just done a final headcount of guests for our evening party and am now having a bit of a freak-out about how literally half of the whole list will be complete and utter strangers to me! They're mostly OH's friends, some of whom I've met, but I've never met their plus ones and neither has he. I was hoping for a lovely relaxed day surrounded by all our nearest and dearest (and the day part of the wedding will be just like this as I know every single person bar one - phew). But now I'm worrying that I'm going to feel really out of my depth at my own evening party and won't be able to relax and enjoy myself! I've also heard a couple of horror stories from friends about plus ones who got roaring drunk or were really disrespectful. Please tell me I'm being irrational and that it won't matter a bit Smiley smile Do you really have time to notice strangers? Surely you're too busy having fun with the people you do know?

Just under three months to go and I think the crazy is setting in, lol.
x

5 replies

Latest activity by StarCRM, 18 of March of 2017 at 00:22
  • D
    Beginner May 2017
    DreamcatcherVN ·
    • Hide content

Ah it's probably not what you want to hear but I actually don't think this is all that irrational as I would be the same. However I've personally never been to a wedding where the plus 1s are the ones causing any trouble... it's usually a drunk uncle or family members already in a bit of a rift if anything!

Is there any way you could arrange a get together with some of the people you don't know? Might be nice for them too to meet you and other people at the wedding!

Sorry I'm not much help!

• D
    Beginner May 2017
    DreamcatcherVN ·
    • Hide content

Also if you're worried about drunkeness you could ask the venue not to serve doubles/jaegar bombs etc? Or if you're paying for the bar you could limit it to beer/wine/pimms/prosecco and people will have to buy their own spirits and may be less inclined to go crazy?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Like someone else said, why don't you have an informal gathering beforehand so you can meet people's plus ones? That might alleviate your fears somewhat. As for drunkenness, most people don't usually cause trouble, don't let some horror stories scare you. At my wedding my OH is fairly likely to be the problem causing drunk!

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol, MetalBride!

Thanks guys, it's so good to get these crazy thoughts out and hear other people's thoughts on them. Hopefully everything will be OK, and if anything happens hopefully I'll be too distracted having fun to notice, lol!

• L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

If it makes you feel any better i have never met OH mum, sister or brother!!!

And his mum is sat on the top table!!

The rest of his family and friends i have only met a few and they are all invited to the day as well!!!

• S
    Beginner November 2016
    StarCRM ·
    • Hide content

My experience from my own wedding is that you'll be having such a great day and you'll be so busy that you won't even notice the strangers in the evening.

If you have an opportunity to meet some of the plus ones, then a get together in advance sounds like a nice idea, but honestly if it doesn't happen, don't worry about it. It will be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics