Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2017

Strapless wedding dress in a Church of England wedding?

SomethingBlue11, 1 of March of 2017 at 08:31 Posted on Planning 0 9

really liking the look of a gown by Stone Cold Fox, the Market Gown (sorry can't post an image but you can google it) but wondering if it's wrong to wear a strapless dress in church? I'm not particularly religious but my fiancé is, which is why we are marrying in church. Plus it is a beautiful church that has meaning to us. Our vicar has been so relaxed and not mentioned dress code, should I ask him? I was originally looking at long sleeved dresses but saw this one and thought it was lovely. I am slim with very small boobs so no chance of cleavage sticking out! Thanks in advance xxx

9 replies

Latest activity by Ash953, 5 of March of 2017 at 10:36
  • laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I had a COE wedding last year and wore strapless, sweetheart neckline, no comments were made. To be honest I didn't even consider that it would be an issue, maybe that was my mistake! Our vicar was very relaxed too so I don't think it's an issue. I wouldn't worry about it if you love the dress Smiley smile

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure it will be fine. If there were many restrictions I think he would have mentioned it. If he does bring up restrictions have the dress you love and add a little bolero just for the church then take it off. X

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

What a beautiful dress!

I can't comment on the actual question unfortunately as I'm not particularly religious either so not sure what the 'etiquette' is!

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about it, its generally accepted that people these days wear strapless wedding dresses in church.

I had this same worry, because my mum always went on about not having bear shoulders in church ? I thought I would go for a dress with cap sleeves but in the end the style didn't suit me and I have gone for strapless with a sweetheart neckline.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I photograph quite a lot of church weddings. I don't think there is any reason to avoid a strapless dress. So long as your dress fits you and is flattering it should be fine!

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I'm not religious either but my husbands family is, we got married in a coe church, I bought a strapless dress without even thinking about the church.

After my mother in-law kept hinting that I couldn't have bare shoulders in church, so I wore a lace shrug which I took off as soon as we got to our reception. My bridal party really couldn’t understand why I had to cover up but I didn't mind.

Maybe ask your mother in-law. I don't think the priest would of cared but my mother in-law would of been disappointed.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    SomethingBlue11 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys this has made me feel a lot better! I might mention it to my mum to get another generations perspective and show her the dress. I don't really like the whole lace topper thing although I do think they look pretty, just not my thing. I feel like I want to just be in my dress as it's the first time guests will see me if that makes sense. Just asked my fiancé what he thinks of strapless and he thinks it's fine. Thanks all ☺️

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I got married in a CoE church the first time I got married. My dress was strapless, but as a compromise I made sure to choose a veil which covered my shoulders.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    SomethingBlue11 ·
    • Hide content

YEs I am inking with this dress I would need a nice veil although I wasn't originally planning on wearing one. I think it looks like there's not enough going on without one possibly.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

Roman Catholic churches sometimes require shoulders to be covered, but I am not aware of COE requiring this. COE tends to be a lot more relaxed than RC.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics