Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BowlingBride
Beginner September 2012

strengths and weaknesses for a job interview

BowlingBride, 2 of August of 2013 at 20:42 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I'm all about the help me posts today it seems, i have an interview monday. this is the question i hate how do i answer the weakness bit without sounding like a prat. All advice welcome

14 replies

Latest activity by *Teabag*, 5 of August of 2013 at 20:58
  • Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Good luck with the interview. I'm always pretty honest and job specific if I get asked this (and to be honest I don't think I did in my most recent one, and I've done some interview recently where this wasn't asked). So for example, I talk about something I have lots of experience in and am very confident at for strengths and then pick an element of the job that I have less experience or knowledge of as my weakness, and explain that's part of what drew me to the role, the fact I can develop those skills while being able to perform highly in other areas. If it's relevant I also talk about why I want to learn more/develop that weakness.

Hope this helps!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

What's the role? May be able to help

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, that does. One interview i went to wanted 3 strengths and weaknesses i blathered on and it was horrendous. Some of the suggestions i've seen such as i'm to much of a perfectionist seem so fake.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

You sometimes find it difficult to delegate, due to an overwhelming sense of responsibility and an inability to switch off from the important jobs.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I always say weakness as chocolate and biscuits, just to lighten tone! And it's true, I'm terrible for being the biggest biscuit eater in any office!

As then I will say things like I get so focused I sometimes forget to take breaks or good at multitasking but that means my desk is normally awash with paperwork! Or very chatty which means sometimes you someyimes get distracted, but it does mean you know everyone you work with and therefore you're good at communicating important stuff. That make sense?

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

it's a trainee management accountant role, great suggestions thanks ladies . actually i just did a 28hour weekend because i don't like splitting work up poor at delegation is a great way to put that.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I hate admitting to weakness so usually try to make them sound almost positive. Like FTLOMB's example about not switching off and delegating because I like to take ownership of a task or being too quick to offer help to a colleague who is snowed under without thinking about my own workload and the pressure I'm under.

For me the worst question is "what has been your biggest achievement?". I don't feel like I'm an under-achiever but I can't think of anything to wow a prospective employer and usually end up rambling about being able to hold down a fast-paced, high-pressure job while being a mother of 3. Then I usually apologise for being boring!

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can add not switching off to the list, my current role involves reviewing account and i've just looked up theirs as a bit of research and i'm resisting the urge to write a report on my findings as i've seen loads with a quick glance. ( i shall not for fear of coming across as a nutter which my current job has clearly turned me into, my first peeve is they have spelt cash flow as one word).

My biggest working acheivement is passing those professional exams i have passed so far by teaching myself from a text book, they are blummin hard and the text books are a beast.

Thanks ladies that was my main panic question but i'm feeling better about it.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

A weakness should always be something to the job but then turned into a strength e.g. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with this particular computer system as listed in the job advert but I have used multiple systems in the past (use examples) and therefore I feel that ill be easily able to adapt.

Strength - again make sure its related to the job.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Or identify training needs..."I'd really like to know more about x because that would help me do Y better"

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Saw this today and thought I should add it to this thread...

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! Good luck for tomorrow BowlingBride! I hope that it goes well X

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Good luck tomorrow!

in my interview for my current job I said my biggest weakness was that I tend to try to do too much myself and have trouble delegating or asking for help. I think the key is that whatever you choose, you're aware of it being a weakness and you let them know what you're doing to try to overcome said weakness.

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice. I think it went well they only wanted one weakness and I went with delegation and my potential manager said that is his too. I was apparently answering questions before they got round to asking them. I was the first interview so I may not hear until next week so fingers and toes crossing time.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

Great news, I'm glad that it went well - fingers crossed for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics