Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

chels1315
Beginner August 2015

String quartet?

chels1315, 26 of August of 2014 at 12:16 Posted on Planning 0 9

We are looking at booking a string quartet to play at our ceremony.

However they seem to be abit pricey for how long we need them for

now im not very musical tbh, we both have no rhythm and two left feet and just wondering whether there is a massive difference between a string quartet and a string duo?

9 replies

Latest activity by sarahmdonald, 2 of January of 2015 at 22:21
  • Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

We had a strong trio for our wedding, we got married in a fariyl small venue so seemed the beter choice (and were abit cheaper!). They played whilst guests arrived, played at certain points during the ceremony and then played during our drinks reception. They were fantadtic, i would definitely recommend going for a group if you can fit it in your budget. I would say the difference in soudn between two and 4 would be quite big, the difference between 3 and 4 musicians when we looked into it was just with 4 there was abit more depth to the music, i couldn't imagine just having two people playing though.

The group we used were called 'The Dotted Crotchets' they were really good, cost us £390, well worth it!

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

Ooo ill have a look at them thank you

• alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
    Rockstar November 2014
    alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I know it's not what you asked and probably pointless (sorry) but we're having a harpist and because it's just one person worked out a lot cheaper than the quartets. She's charging £280 x

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will have a listen to some harpist didn't think of that, thanks Smiley smile

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

Will have a look at them thank you, all the quotes I've had have been £600+

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

The difference will be in the number of harmonies and depth of the music. A quartet will give a fuller sound. In my opinion, there is quite a difference, but I did music at Uni and perform with orchestras fairly regularly. You say you're not very musical, so maybe it's worth having a listen to some quartets and duets on YouTube and decide whether you can hear a difference before you decide.

• chels1315
    Beginner August 2015
    chels1315 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks MadamRed, yeh i planned to do that but was looking for someone like who knows music to see if there was much difference in how it would sound

Going to try have a browse on youtube on my lunch break

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Agree with MadamRed - it will be a "fuller" sound the more people you have.

When you think about the price, it's not just their time on the day that you're paying for, it's their rehearsal time, sourcing the music, travelling to the venue, potentially hanging around etc.

• sarahmdonald
    Beginner November 2016
    sarahmdonald ·
    • Hide content

We have booked the dotted crotchets string quartet for our wedding too (www.thedottedcrotchets.co.uk). We first heard them at a friend's wedding and they were just fab - the guests were able to request songs during the drinks reception and the music during the ceremony was just beautiful. We're so excited about having them for our big day! They do also offer a string trio and we didn't notice a huge difference, but as the quartet was within budget we decided to go all out! I'm not sure a string duo would be as good though.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics