Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2015

String quartet - what to do during hymns?

Purplecake, 7 of May of 2015 at 15:17 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi all,

We have a string quartet booked for the church ceremony. They will play whilst guests are seated, both ways walking down the aisle, and signing of register. However we also have to have 2 hymns in our ceremony. I've emailed the quartet to ask about hymns (as we're paying them a lot of money, so wanted to see if it was a possibility), and they said the organist usually does it but they have Jerusalem and Lord of the Dance in their repertoire which they can play additionally at no extra charge.

I also spoke to the organist, who can come in to play the 2 hymns, but it will still cost the full organist fee. So, is it unusual for a quartet to play hymns? We would probably be choosing hymns like the two above anyway since they are popular and most people know the words to attempt to sing. But would the guests know to sing along rather than 'this is another little interlude by the quartets to just listen to'? But on the flip side, if no one sings, at least it is an interlude by nice string quartet, rather than big organ which quite clearly needs people to sing along.

Do you think it's strange if a quartet does the hymns? Or would you just book the organist also? (the organist fee isn't terribly huge compared to quartet, but it is still £80!)

7 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBlueCakes703, 8 of November of 2016 at 12:26
  • M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

As someone who plays in a brass band I don't see it at all odd if you want the strings to play throughout the ceremony. When I have played at a wedding this is what I have done!

One thing you need to make sure of though (from a musicians perspective), is that the group are made are to keep strict tempo on the hymns.

Sounds weird I know, but singing drags the tempo horrifically! (Usually a good half a beat behind!) If a band or pianist of any type are not used to this, they will slow down to match the singers....

Then the singers slow down more,,,, and the band does,,,, until it becomes painful.

I'd make your band work and get your money out of them - I think its a nice change personally :-)

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

I cancelled our organist (it was. A keyboard organ rather than a great big one) when I decided to book a string quartet-they're going to play the hymns we've chosen, and they'll even sing along at the start to kind of show when to come in if anyone's not sure. It's only a little church really so their sound should still fill the church nicely. Our organist wasn't expensive either but a) I just didn't think it was necessary to have both b) they've not played together before n I didn't want there to be any issues (I'm sure there wouldn't have been but...) and c) I'm not sure the organist would have played one of our choices anyway which technically isn't a hymn, so nope, I don't think it'd be strange to just have the quartet. Also Don't worry about no one realising to sing, if they're obviously hymns and you've got the lyrics listed in an order of service, everybody will realise!

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I’ve booked a string quartet for our ceremony as was dead set on the song I wanted to walk into being played by a quartet. The church then imformed us that we would have to pay the organists fee (£100) whether we used him or not! So I’ve decided to have the string quartet for my entrance, register signing and exit and the organist for the hymns (may as well use them if we have to pay for them anyway!). I’m not fancying having both quartet and organist playing for the hymns as can’t imagine the timing being great if they haven’t played together before!

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think we may go for the organist as well as quartet; i'm sure the 2 hymns would sound lovely if quart played them but i would be worried about the singing along - and I can totally see the tempo slowing as mentioned if they're not used to it! At least the organist knows what he's doing with regards to audience participation. Ah well, i've added the extra £80 to the budget..thanks again!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Your celebrant (priest, vicar, whatever depending on your denomination) will announce the hymns with some along the lines of "Let us stand to sing our next hymn [X]", so it should be fairly clear to your congregation that they should be singing. If not, the celebrant (together with you and your OH) will definitely start them off. If you're concerned, you could ask your wedding party to make sure that they kick-start the singing.

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

Mr C is an organist so I am in the organists' corner! Would a string quartet actually be loud enough to accompany the congregation? They're well-known hymns, but some people only ever go to church for weddings and often don't feel comfortable singing - although this depends on the size of the church too, and obviously I don't know your guests! The organist will probably be used to this and will play nice and loudly to compensate and to encourage people.

As a previous poster said, the vicar will announce the hymns and invite people to stand (plus surely the words will be in your order of service?), so I can't imagine there would be any confusion there.

• S
    Beginner March 2019
    SunnyBlueCakes703 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure about what music I'll have yet but I think we'll def go for a church ceremony so will probably have hymns. I like the idea of having the organist playing at some point but also want to have a quartet and don't want to swaste money on booking a quartet that doesn't play the whole time ? Do you think it's cheeky to ask them to play for all the hymns and the signing, processional and exit as well? I've only just got engaged so just putting ideas together really. Found this article about ceremony music which has really helped but at the same time I've got to persuade the hubby to be and that's a whole different matter ?? XOXO

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics