Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

amihohu
Beginner September 2013

Structural Movement...

amihohu, 10 of February of 2015 at 10:13 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Hey all,

Sorry, I realise this isn't a house buying/selling forum, but wanted to get your thoughts anyway! A house we are in the process of buying had the survey come back to say that it has some evidence of structural movement, a stair step crack (very thin) across about 10 bricks. We paid for a drain survey (recommendation from the surveyor) and that was fine, so it looks like it may have been cause by some large trees (which have since been cut down). However we are still concerned about it as A: it will likely impact on our buildings insurance and B:it could make the house difficult to resell. The surveyor and the valuation have said it's probably historic. The buildings insurance impact we could probably just about live with, but the reselling is a worry. Although it is meant to be a very long term future family home, we both work in a volatile industry (4 redundancies between us in 5 years), so we need to be sensible and have a house that won't be a problem to sell. Any thoughts? Would you steer clear of a house with evidence of structural movement, no matter how old? Or if it was historic, would it not bother you?

5 replies

Latest activity by pammy67, 10 of February of 2015 at 19:54
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I'd have done exactly what you did, got a survey and gone from there. If it moved that long ago and there's no evidence of it moving again it sounds like it'll be fine. I would find out about the insurance though.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Something similar came up in our survey too last year. I actually have the PDF on my PC here and it goes 'There are signs that the property has been affected by past structural movement as evidenced by hairline cracking to the bay window. So far as can been seen from this inspection the movement appears to be longstanding and does not appear to be progressive.' Sound familiar? It didn't put us off anyway. My understanding is that it's common to see something along those lines with an older house (ours is 1930s). We reassured ourselves that it survived the blitz, so it must be fairly sound!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I think you are right to be cautious but it's not necessarily a deal breaker. You are right that even historic movement often causes a problem with insurance. If I were you, I would probably think about checking out a few of the big names to see whether they would insure. You'll probably have to speak to them on the phone rather than online. I know NFU are often reported to be good at insuring properties with historical movement but sometimes even they are funny. I would ask the sellers what they do about insurance and who they're with. It may be possible to get a quote from the existing insurer or a continuation of the existing policy. At least you can then make a informed decision about whether to go ahead and the costs.

Ultimately some buyers will be put off by historical movement but the some buyers will be put off by a busy road, downstairs bathroom, no off road parking etc. What you have described does not seem dreadful and there are probably thousands of similar properties in the same boat. It's just that the occupants probably aren't aware or have not disclosed to insurers. A difficult situation if a claim needs to be made and movement is used to avoid paying on a claim.

Hope this helps!

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies all. I think we'd need to get yet another survey (structural engineer) to confirm it's historical and not a problem, for our knowledge and for the insurance, but that's going to be another £300 on top, and just not sure we wana be spending around £1500 on surveys for a house that has this problem....

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Just occurred to me, although you probably know this already, some sorts of structural problems make it extremely difficult to get a mortgage. If a lender is willing to lend on it, probably a good sign.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Just to add to the words of wisdom up above - you could ask the vondor to pay for the further survey and also was this picked up when they bougt the property. By law, they have to tell you. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics