Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner

Struggling with affordable wedding ideas

LuxuriousYellowConfetti847, 5 of June of 2017 at 18:03 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi,

I recently got engaged to my boyfriend of 8 years Smiley laugh We're really excited to get married but we're struggling with what to do for the wedding. We don't have much money to spend but also really don't want to spend a lot. We're in our mid twenties and have saved really hard for the money we have so don't want to lose it all in one go. Equally, we don't want to wait and save up because the same thing will still apply.

I'm actually finding this first step of the planning process - pick a venue and IDEA really stressful. We have about 65 people that we would like to invite. And to be honest it would be difficult to cut this list down as it would mean cutting out people we care about and having to keep people that aren't so special but family etc so have to be invited.

I'm not worried about any of the extra stuff money wise - flowers, dress, decor etc. I know we can do that cheaply and I will LOVE sorting all that on a budget.

But venues are so horribly expensive. We're not religious at all so its either a registry office (and we have some rather unpleasant ones in the three locations we're happy to get married) or at least £1000 or a ceremony elsewhere when you include registrar fees. That's before the reception venue (cheapest we've found is a village hall for 950). And then obviously food. This at the most basic level takes us over the total amount we're comfortable spending Smiley sad

We're also not at all into the typical wedding 'evening' either. We don't plan on having speeches or a first dance (or in fact a dancefloor at all). Just want to have some drinks, games and laughs with our nearest and dearest. But most places you pay for these things we wouldn't even want.

A few other options we've been considering are:

- Later ceremony so we only have to feed people once (does'n't really save much money at all).

- Earlier ceremony with afternoon tea instead of meal - but we'd like it to go into the evening so bit stuck here.

- Cutting the guest list to 20 meaning we literally have the bridal party and grandparents. Part of me wants to do this but lets be honest, lots of people will be passive aggressively offended to have been 'snubbed' and we'd have to cut out some people I really want there (family friends that can't be invited if family aren't!!).

So basically I'm just wondering what other people have done in a similar situation? I've googled so much and I'm just getting more and more down about something that should be great fun!

6 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBlueDecor836, 20 of July of 2017 at 15:13
  • Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried pubs/social clubs? An awful lot of them have free function rooms you can use (although some have a minimum bar spend). Pretty much all my family weddings growing up were in a bar/pub/club with various relatives who each brought in a platter of food to cater. Although my family all drink so we easily met the bar tab.

Or you can often find council owned buildings which you can get for cheap, they can look tired and a bit ropey, but some of them tend to be very old and can look nice enough!

Are you somewhere with chance of good weather? A member of my craft class paid to get married in a local stately home, then went outside and sat on the lawn on blankets and ate sandwiches/cakes from tesco.

Also have you looked inside the registry office? As the one in our town is really really awfully 1970s concrete bunker style on the outside, but inside the actual bit for the ceremony was modern, with lots of frosted glass, flowers and draping.

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I'd have to say registry office, outdoors or see if you can get a package deal.

My venue includes ceremony room, red carpet, table linens wedding breakfast, wine and bubbly for the toast, and just the room for the evening (no food) and a hotel room for us to sleep in on the night. All in for 40 people is £2000.

Cost can come down if you go mid week rather than weekend too.

• MrsStanleyToBe
    Beginner January 2019
    MrsStanleyToBe ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement ?

We had the same problem, we don't want to have to spend loads, I've been married before and my OH isn't really into a lot of fuss. We've decided on just having 20 for our ceremony and meal and then from around 5ish have a big party, we're lucky that we've finally found a venue that can do this for us. We searched for over a year, all the places we looked at were too big or didn't have much history which is what we wanted. so we've got a lovely little room for the ceremony and meal and then the double doors open out into a bigger room ready for the party. When talking to our venue about the evening food a buffet was £11 pp or sausage and bacon baps £9 pp immediately my OH said the baps to save money, but the more I thought about it, I didn't want the people coming in the evening to be stuck with just that. So instead we're hiring a pizza van, they're doing us 50 pizzas, garlic bread, salads and olives for £780 and I'm going to get lots of sweet platters from M&S!

I do feel bad about not inviting everyone to the whole day, but I'm also saving myself the stress of the seating plan, favours, decorations, speeches etc. I just hope that people will understand and still want to party with us, I just need to work out how to word the invites that they wont be getting a 3 course meal ?

We're also having a winter wedding which works out cheaper

Bacchant, the stately home picnic idea, how lovely and romantic ❤️

I hope that you sort it out soon and start to enjoy the planning x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

What location are you searching in?

Contact the main registry office and ask for a list of ALL the licensed premises in the area. Look up the pubs and smaller hotels to see what is on offer.

I photographed a wedding at a central Leeds pub recently - to my amazement it even has a lovely garden, patio and a conservatory for the ceremony. Sometimes you find big chains are cheap on a weekday, eg Britannia Hotels usually have amazing offers.

• L
    Beginner
    LuxuriousYellowConfetti847 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys Smiley smile

I've worked my way through most of the approved premises list for the various locations - main ones are bath/bristol and cardiff.

Bath/bristol is great for village halls but lacking in places that will let you do the ceremony only and the registry offices are in the middle of the city so usually a way to any of the halls. And I found a couple of ceremony only options in cardiff but theres a lack of village halls/cheap reception venues there! Typical.

Pub function rooms is a good idea, I'll start looking into that. My issue with registry offices is what the actual rooms look like, I'm not fussed about the outside of the building but the classic city hall look with old paintings and red carpets with dated curtains is so not us - they also tend to be on the small side. I'd be okay with a neutral room - I went to a lovely wedding elsewhere in a registry office that was neutral and pretty.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried working mens clubs? Most of ours around here are free hire, I don't know if you'd find any that are the same.

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SunnyBlueDecor836 ·
    • Hide content

If you're open to the idea you could get married at registry office ( just the two of toy and two witnesses, in my area that costs about £28). Then hire a working man's club function room and good a ceremony with someone close to toy 'marrying' the two of you at the beginning of the after party.

To save further money you could ask guests to bring food instead of wedding presents.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics