Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner September 2016

Stuck for a ceremony venue - London

donkey86, 6 of November of 2015 at 11:58 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi guys - I wonder if anyone can help? We're a bit stuck for a ceremony venue. We've found a reception venue we really like - we're going for a boat on the Thames! (we were originally going for the Barbican but decided against it for various reasons). The boat is able to start from almost any of the piers in London, so we have a wide choice of areas, but are finding it hard to find somewhere to actually marry. The problem is that most places do receptions too, so don't want a booking for the ceremony only. My fiance is completely against the idea of a church so we're mainly looking at register offices. Ideally, we'd like about 80 people to be there, so that narrows the options further.

So far we've considered:

Islington Town Hall - this was our no 1 choice, but it's fully booked for our date (10 September 2016)
Shoreditch Town Hall - also booked up
Hackney town hall - closed for refurbishment
Marylebone Town Hall - closed for refurbishment
Asia House, Westminster's replacement for Marylebone - this looks good - we're waiting to hear back from them about availability. But I'm a bit concerned that there's very little space outside for photos (I realise beggars can't be choosers, maybe I shouldn't be so fussy!)
Lambeth Register Office - ugly (sorry, there I am being fussy again!)
Southwark Register Office - I had to register my Dad's death there so it has bad associations for me
Camden Town Hall - we're also waiting for a call back about availability on this one - if it's free we might go for it - the problem is, my fiance works there and so would like to avoid it if possible as it won't seem as special to him
Stoke Newington Town Hall - my fiance's sister got married there so we'd rather not copy them - also it's a long way from the river

Does anyone have any suggestions? Help appreciated! I'd especially like to hear if anyone has got married at Asia House - how was it?

5 replies

Latest activity by donkey86, 12 of November of 2015 at 21:27
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What about the Chelsea one I think it is. Supposed to be beautiful. Another post of here recently mentioned it.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

My friend got married at Orleans Gallery near Twickenham recently and it was beautiful, I'm not sure it would fit 80 though, I think she had about 60. She also had the reception on a boat, we all got a big red bus to Turks Head to board!

Dont know if that helps xx

• Minna Rossi Photography
    Minna Rossi Photography ·
    • Hide content

What about Wandsworth and Richmond registry offices? I've photographed weddings at both and they are beautiful x

• T
    Beginner April 2017
    TashAndOwl ·
    • Hide content

Just an idea- do any of the museums have private rooms suitable for ceremonies?

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about having a basic legal registration a few days earlier and then using an independent celebrant to create a ceremony for onboard your boat?

• D
    Beginner September 2016
    donkey86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Luckily Camden Town Hall had a slot left, so we've gone for that. Everything's falling into place!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics