Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mr JK
Beginner

Studio Ghibli question

Mr JK, 27 June, 2009 at 09:16 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

OK, so I've got a MovieMail voucher that's about to expire, and they're doing a Studio Ghibli sale that means I can probably snap two DVDs up for virtually no actual cash...

...so which of their films would be best for a six- and four-year-old?

I'm trying to broaden Lexi and Rowan's animation horizons away from Disney and Pixar (not that I have anything against them, only their ubiquity), and we recently had a huge hit with Michel Ocelot's films Kirikou and the Sorcerer and Azur and Asmar: The Prince's Quest, so I think the time's ripe for trying something from even further afield. (Not that France is especially far afield, but Ocelot's films are inspired by African and Arabian art).

19 replies

Latest activity by Katamari, 14 July, 2009 at 19:15
  • S
    Beginner January 2006
    seraphina ·
    • Hide content

No idea whether a 4 or 6 yo would like it, bu I love Kiki's Delivery Service. And also Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, they're probably my two favourites

• Katamari
    Beginner August 2008
    Katamari ·
    • Hide content

We love 'My Neighbour Totoro' - it's just a nice, family film. Nothing much happens, but it's just a lovely story, which you don't seem to see much of these days.

Bratski's ultimate favourites are 'Porco Rosso', 'Princess Mononokee' and 'Nausicaa - Valley of the Winds'. They have a bit more action in them which now he is 5, he appreciates. We have the entire collection though and he has been watching them since he was about 3. They makes a fab, refreshing change from Cartoon Network/Disney.

I know Princess Mononokee has several scenes which are bit gruesome for youngsters, but they are literally seconds long. However if they are easily scared then I wouldn't recommend it as it does get rather mystical.

We love them, especially spotting who does the voiceovers!

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content

My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service seem to be the winners on my Facebook survey too.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm I'm not sure what sort of thing is really suitable for children. Are they likely to get upset at the idea of parents being turned into pigs or an older sister searching for her little sister? If not then maybe Spirited away and My neighbour Totoro. Kiki's Delivery Service is also a good one (and a reviewer on amazon says children of 5-8 would kile it ?) Oh and Howl's moving castle.

where's the sale? I could do with some more Ghibli

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content

Here - they're going for £7.99 each.

• M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content

Out of the ones I've got Howl's Moving Castle could be a good one for kids, and My Neighbour Totoro is lovely, and of course, Spirited Away is a classic.

I'm assuming they are young children? If so, I'd steer clear of Princess Mononoke as it could be quite scary for them (lots of battles involving big bitey growly wolves)

• Katamari
    Beginner August 2008
    Katamari ·
    • Hide content

Howls Moving Castle is fantastic. Just don't spoil it afterwards by reading the book!? (Which was a very good book, it just took some of the shine off the film for me!)

'Castle of Cagliostro' is another good one - very early Ghibli animation, so it's not as smooth as later films, but has a great story.

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, four and six. They're actually pretty robust when it comes to scary stuff, but I really don't want to put them off Japanese animation right from the start by badly misjudging their first film!

• S
    Beginner
    safetyzone ·
    • Hide content

Totoro is skewed very young so I thought that would be great. Kiki's also very sweet. My favourite is Laputa and it's a perfect pre-teen boy fantasy (about flying) but I'm not sure if the storyline might be difficult to follow (and it has some fighting in it).

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, I've gone ahead and ordered them - thanks for the recommendations.

And unlike the Michel Ocelot titles, where there are two more, but only available in French (or "the silly version", as Rowan disdainfully told me when I experimentally tried showing them Kirikou in the original with subtitles), there are loads more to explore if they turn out to be a hit. So fingers crossed...

• conanetta
    Beginner
    conanetta ·
    • Hide content

Ooh yes, I'd have said My Neighbour Totoro, too. I also love Pom Poko. I love all the Ghibli films though.

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE My Neighbour Totoro - good choice! Kiki is also great. Another one they might like at a later date is The Cat Returns. That's a good one too!

• Missus Jolly
    Beginner October 2004
    Missus Jolly ·
    • Hide content

Our kids (9 and 8) have loved Spirited Away (their fave), Howls Moving Castle and Princess Monanoko (or something like that). They probably saw spirited away a couple of years ago whe they were about 7 and 6. We enjoyed them too. HTH

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content

Well, My Neighbour Totoro turned up in yesterday's post, and the kids are halfway through their fifth viewing. ?

So it's safe to say it's a rock-solid hit - which is just as well, as Kiki's Delivery Service is on its way.

Thanks for the recommendations.

• Katamari
    Beginner August 2008
    Katamari ·
    • Hide content

Have you found the theme tune worming its way into your head yet? ?

This post last week prompted me to ask Bratski which his favourite was. He thought about it very seriously and we have sat through all of our collection over the past week at his request, even 'The Norse Prince' which is subtitled. And he still won't pick one!

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content

...and Kiki's Delivery Service has gone down a storm too, so I'm just about to order three or four more.

Spirited Away will definitely be one (Rowan's already seen it at JK's mum's) - any others I should look out for?

• M
    Beginner
    Mwnci ·
    • Hide content

Definitely buy Howl's Moving Castle, it's a film I can watch and watch. In fact I can see it on the shelf now and I'm tempted.

It's a bit more complex than My Neighbour Totoro, more on a par with Spirited Away, but a wonderful wonderful film and story. (The fact that in the book Howl is Welsh and really called Howell is just a bonus!)

I absolutely adore Studio Ghibli films although I do tend to prefer the Hayao Miyazaki ones.

• Boxof BaldKittens
    Boxof BaldKittens ·
    • Hide content

Spirited Away is my absolute favorite and keeps my kids transfixed, even though were viewing it from different levels. And dont be surprised if the kids stand looking at a tree waiting for the cat bus?

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that - I've just ordered Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

• Katamari
    Beginner August 2008
    Katamari ·
    • Hide content

And after those - Porco Rosso. Honestly its fab!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics