Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

Stupid questions people have asked about you wedding?

Erin8, 27 of June of 2014 at 09:00

Posted on Planning 107

The best questions l got were; Is the marriage legally blinding? Clearly yes otherwise why would l be doing it?! Is your Dad coming? He has been dead for over a year so probably not How am l getting to your wedding party? How should l know

The best questions l got were;

Is the marriage legally blinding? Clearly yes otherwise why would l be doing it?!

Is your Dad coming? He has been dead for over a year so probably not

How am l getting to your wedding party? How should l know

107 replies

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Today,from fmil. ..."how am I getting there?" Mmm maybe that big metal thing in your garage could be used to solve this problem. She then askd if my h2b could drive her,knowing full well is unable to drive for medical reasons.

• P
    Beginner November 2014
    pattio86 ·
    • Hide content

OH gran asked me (In a dubious tone) so will it be a white wedding?

Really!!

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsRoughToBe ·
    • Hide content

So at least i know that its not just my h2b who is silly enough not to understand the wedding breakfast ha ha!

However, it seems that everyones favourite question to ask me, is if i am pregnant???

Apparently I can't get married if I love someone enough, I have to be up the duff with their child first!

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Is it only your second wedding? Asked by my hairdresser.

To me this implies that she thinks I either have a load of secret exhusbands,possibly under the patio,or this wedding is the second of many.

Either way,it will be my FIRST and hopefully only wedding. I know I am knocking on a bit and already have children but I have known her for well over 10 years and have never mentioned a husband.

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OH Nanan keeps asking me "Are you slimming yet love?" In a patronising voice with the eyebrows and everything. I just keep telling her no. And then asking FMIL to pass the biscuits!!

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsACF ·
    • Hide content

We eloped. Common questions were along the lines of

"But your mum and dad are going though?" erm nope. "what no-one?" err no.

"Who is going to be your witnesses?! the hotel staff "can't you just take a couple of people with you?"

Well I could - but then it would be a small wedding, not an elopement

"is that allowed?"

......this convo went on for around 10 mins with at least 6 different people.

I actually found it hillarious Smiley smile

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Y
    Beginner October 2014
    Yell0wsnow ·
    • Hide content

"Is it going to be a religious wedding...."

"Well What do you think, when we are marrying in a Church as per your invite"

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd completely forgotten that my dad asked me this. Or rather he phrased it as "Is there any particular reason why you want to get married?" (no 'have', just 'want', which was more polite). He definitely meant this, as when my response was "no, I'm not pregnant", he then tried to talk me out of it.

Not that he didn't like my husband, he just has a lot of financial knowledge and started running through house purchase and tax reasons against it, LOL. Such a romantic.

(I'm guessing that if I had been pregnant, then he would have had a lot more tax deductions and child benefit calculations to add into the scenario before giving his opinion on a potential wedding).

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Not stupid but annoying question asked by a couple of guests 3 days before the wedding was for taxi numbers - annoying because we mentioned several taxi numbers on the invitations and wedding website and there's this website called google...

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

'Is your dad giving you away?' Ummm no I haven't so much as seen him since I was 4 years old.

I have also had the free bar question. I have also had people asking for an invite and trying to bribe me with 'amazing wedding gifts'. No thanks mate.

I've had loads, will have to return to this thread after some more thinking!!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

'Is your dad giving you away?' Ummm no I haven't so much as seen him since I was 4 years old.

I have also had the free bar question. I have also had people asking for an invite and trying to bribe me with 'amazing wedding gifts'. No thanks mate.

I've had loads, will have to return to this thread after some more thinking!!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

This isn't really a stupid question, but we've literally been asked hundreds of times "So, who's going to do your photos then?"

It's lovely that people are interested, but after already being engaged for 18 months (and with 14 still to go) we've completely run out of witty responses. The old self timer joke is wearing a little thin now!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

This. We usually reply with dead pan faces "No we're wearing top hat and tails."

ETA: Sorry - I thought I'd quoted someone else who was asked if they were going to wear a wedding dress!!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I guess in this case they're basing it on limited experience, like say Ellen or Jane Lynch. Not that that's any excuse to make assumptions.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Are you going to be wearing your nose stud?

Yeah it's sort of part of me.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

I am literally laughing my head off!

The only thing I can think of is my MIL2B regularly asks me details about my wedding dress and what I'll be wearing underneath it- I personally think this is weird

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

*figuratively*

Soz, had to. Love you really ❤️

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Someone asked me "can we flush the toilets in the marquee?" I replied yes why wouldn't you be able to... She said "I didn't know if they would be real toilets or not!!

Also I was asked "we're travelling quiet a distance and not staying over, can we come to yours to freshen up before!!" Erm no me 6 bm's and my mum will be slightly busy!!! Xx

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and my MIL asked when l was converting religions. Not sure why as l am not even slightly religious?!

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

"Are your girls going to be bridesmaids?" No, I thought that we would leave them at home for the day and save the money from their outfit!

One of the worst comments that I heard was someone saying that because we have been together for so long, we're just doing this for show!

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

'I guess you've got to get married really, I mean he's got you pregnant what twice now?'

Yes we have a child and another due in 7 days (AGRHHHHHH), how nice of you to forget how many kids I have.

And obviously I'm only marrying him for those reasons, not that I love him or anything Smiley smile

Beginner March 2015
    *Mrs*T*to*Be ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha , I love this thread.

I haven't had anything too bad yet apart from MILTB asking if I am going to put the address of the venue on the invitations, no I'm going to expect everyone to consult their crystal ball....

• hjc87
    Beginner September 2015
    hjc87 ·
    • Hide content

Haha, love this thread!

I've also had comments when talking about the Wedding Breakfast... "What, how early are you getting married?! How early do I have to get up?!" *facepalm* !!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Basing on limited experience, also commonly known as stereotyping (which totally doesn't work in this case as neither OH nor I fall in to the typical stereotype which why it makes the question absurd!) Stereotyping isn't really cool.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

No, you're right, it is not. I didn't mean it is, just in case it seemed like I did!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Lol since no one knows we are planning I havnt had any but I have had some of these in general

with piercings people seem amazed by it, I have had it for 10 years stop being shocked by it (I feel 'floppy' if I take it out lol) the other day a school kid stared at me like a rabbit in the headlights pointed at me and said 'whats that' pointing at me - seriously you cant of never seen a piercing before kid but I had to just smile and after the 3rd time he asked I just said it was an earring

I have also heard loads that its 'a show' if you have been together a while... sorry I didn't realize you had to be married within the first 3 years, I always get the 'well you dont need to get married now as you already have kids, must you always do everything backwards'

the child one isnt that odd to me as my kids wont be page boys or flower girls as I hate page boys and flower girls, my son will be at the top table in between me and OH and sit front row and center with my mum but I just cringe when I see awkward kids acting up in the aisles or crying or doing silly thing to holding up the timing, its not cute its bloody annoying lol if I had older daughters like 8+ then I would ask them to be bridesmaids though (but since I dont have any daughters I doubt that will happen)

• P
    Beginner August 2014
    Purplemunchkin ·
    • Hide content

The only one's I've had are from my sister:

When told that the only people invited to the ceremony were my parents (sister is from Mum's first marriage), his parents and his kids she asked if I would be having her granddaughter as a bridesmaid. Er, no she's not coming to the wedding at all. Sister's response was, "well she could come with me". No, you're not coming either!

She also asked if I wanted her youngest son to go to the wedding so OH's son doesn't get bored.

Finally she asked if I would be staying with my parents' house the night before the wedding. I said no, I would be with OH and his son. She asked why and I explained that a) I want to and b) since my parents now live in the house I used to own with my ex-husband it would just be weird. She said I should stay with her, which I declined.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear, are people walking on egg shells after my inappropriate throwing my rattle out of the pram yesterday!?

(joke .. by the way ?)

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

Nothing really silly yet as we've only just begun planning. We sent save the dates out last week and when my Auntie received hers she got straight on the phone to my Dad to ask him "What's the point of a save the date card? It says invitation to follow - what's that all about...?"

Oh these new fangled things, eh?!?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe a tad Smiley winking

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh god this all over!! This sort of thing is the tip of the iceberg with my MILTB...

Are you going to put on the invitations that dogs are welcome (no, only you would ever want to know that!)

Are you going to put on the invitations what the menu choices are (no I thought it would give the kitchen a laugh if people decided on the day!)

Are you aware that gypsophila is a filler flower so you can't have it on it's own in a bouquet (speechless here...)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics