Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cookiekat
Beginner August 2012

Subsidence

cookiekat, 5 November, 2012 at 11:46 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

Anyone know anything about it?

Whilst decorating the spare room Ive discovered some massive cracks along the roof, and either side of the bay window.

12 replies

Latest activity by porkchop, 5 November, 2012 at 19:26
  • cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Part of the original building - I know you live around here somewhere - it's one of the masses of 1930's semi's in Caversham.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

I'm a building surveyor. It could be many things, I need a bit more info, some photos? You could PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Are there any drains near by? Have you removed any large trees? Are there large trees near? How wide are the cracks? Are they bigger/smaller at top or bottom or consistant all the way down? Are they visible outside and inside?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

side wall about 6mm at the top runs about 1.5m in length

under the bay about 2mm runs down about 1m

roof above bay crack varies from 6m to 3mil runs about 2m across

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I think I can see a crack outside but not sure house is pebble dashed so cant really tell and I dont have a big ladder

no drains or trees, there is the neighbours down pipe for guttering goininto the soil next to the house

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, popped out for lunch.

Its so hard trying to give advice this way! If its just the bay, and its happened all of a sudden my thought would be that the bay is somehow pulling away from the house or dropping. Are you sure there are no drains? As a broken drain washing the soil away from under the soil is normally the primary cause of these things. You may not be able to see a manhole but there may be a run nearby. You could ask your water authority to look at it firstly? or get a CCTV survey carried out of the drains in the area. The house has been there so long it's unlikely to be something fundementally wrong with the construction, more caused by something new.

Not sure if thats any help at all!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both.

I've called the building insurance and they will send a surveyor out to take a look (free) and then if work is needed they cover it.

I looked for drains but the closest one is 5m to the side of the house (10m away from the bay) and it runs straight down the drive and doesn't really go near that part of the house at all.?

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Seems like you have good house insurance, I wouldnt even have thought of going down that route! Dont tell my clients ?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I thought all buildings insurance would cover it ? I'm with Direct Line.

Covers fire, lightning, storm or flood (excluding fences and gates), theft, explosion, escape of water or oil, vandalism and subsidence

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, I meant I wouldnt have thought of getting them to verify it. I would have suggested you get it verified first, then phone them to tell them you have it, cos you dont know you do yet! If that makes sense??

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I called their subsidence hotline ? (they really do have a hotline! ) They said they would send some one out to check for me I thought they would tell be to bugger off and come back when I know for sure.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Thumbs up for their customer service!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics