Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner

Suffolk reception in a field / unusual marquee / hog roast

1katieh, 4 January, 2011 at 12:00 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi there,
I got engaged in October last year and are now hoping to set our wedding date for September 2012. I wondered if anyone knows of an inexpensive wedding venue in Suffolk please? I'm thinking a farmer's field, or unusual venue such as old school or something where there is power and running water and where we could set up a funky marquee or have use of a barn. I'm thinking hog roast or bbq, trestle tables, bunting, outside firepit, live band - almost a mini festival type feel. I have done a fair bit of internet surfing thus far but have only unearthed venues which are really out of our price range. Budget is around £7k all in - and I have a HUGE family to cater for.
Any suggestions would be very welcome!
Kx

8 replies

Latest activity by crafty em, 4 January, 2011 at 18:34
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Hi!! CONGRATS firstly!!!where abouts in suffolk are u thinking? i live in ipswich but grew up Stowmarket way so have a wide area knowledge!!

Have u tried Jimmys Farm!?!?!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Marquees can turn out to be really really expensive, as you hire a big tent, and then you have to hire everything else - chairs, tables, linens, toilets, bar, fridges.... The only marquee reception i have gone to was my cousins but they owned the farm with a camping site so had generators and toilets, they had the young farmers running a bar. Oh and it took ages the next day with a hangover to clear up the field! DO you know anyone with land? A more budget friendly alternative is village halls...

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Oooooooooo lovley girl justmentioned something that got me thinking............its not a village hall but its on a farm ..Dove Barn Suffolk ............

https://www.dovebarn.com/

and heres jimmys farm link

https://jimmysfarm.com/index.cfm/fa/event.list/Category_ID/13

Beginner
    1katieh ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both! I will certainly look at those. I have had reservations about marquees because they feel rather weather dependent! And also agree, when you add the costs of all the decorations etc. it can all add up.

Going to have a little browse on those sites now....

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katie

Another suffolk hitcher here, what about

http://www.wantisden.co.uk

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Em, we looked at Wantisden! Too far out for some people tho (i know, its just up the road right lol)

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we looked at it too, but really wanted somewhere with accommodation Smiley smile

Beginner
    1katieh ·
    • Hide content

Hi Em, that's a great website - thank you! I am having all sorts of brainstorming ideas today...my head is whirring!

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

You're welcome ? i remember that feeling well, lol x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics