Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Suffolk/Essex barns help!

12 September, 2012 at 10:30 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hey everyone! We have seen a couple of venues so far but I am really keen on the barn idea....we saw Gatestreet Barn in Surrey but at £6k just for the venue on a Saturday I think it is going to be out of our budget! We have got viewings at Reid Rooms and Maidens Barn in Essex lined up for the end of Sept and we are also seeing Alpheton Hall Barns and Smeetham Hall in Suffolk in October...has anyone got any experiences of these places?! We definitely want somewhere where we can do our own thing with the caterers etc and don't want to pay corkage. We are lookign at Spring 2014 so still have a bit of time but any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Claire.xx

21 replies

Latest activity by artisanwedding.co.uk, 8 October, 2012 at 16:51
  • BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

Hi, somebody posted a thread very similar the other day so if you search for it you may find something useful.

I looked at Smeetham Hall, thought it was lovely and I know that you can use your own choice of cateres etc. Not sure about corkage though.

We also looked at Crabbs Barn in Essex, lovely barn and they do a good inclusive package. I am getting married at Haughley park Barn in Suffolk, not sure how far away to you that is but you can choose your own catere and their isnt a corkage fee. Lovely venue too.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Both the Reid Rooms and Maidens barn are lovely.

We've worked at both over the last month (and previously)

Maidens barn is probably "Prettier" if you want something "Barny" (sorry, I don't know how else to say that) but obviously that's subject to personal tastes and opinion. Although Reid rooms possibly has more variety in terms of photo locations and is a little more spaced out.

If you're planning to marry at each venue, Reid rooms ceremony room I remember being teeny tiny and quite dark, as is the dance floor area- in comparison to Maidens barn that is, which has a pretty huge dancefloor area and ceremony room. This may end up being a deciding factor, depending on how many guests you want and how many in the evening.

If you've got any specific questions about either, i'd be happy to try and help, just let me know!

*Edit* The photo with the really moody sky in my signature is the Reid rooms, back in July

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I've just had a quick look and it says they accommodate up to 100 in there, but i'm sure that can't be true, unless they're counting standing room?

I imagine they are, as there were not 100 guests seated at our last wedding there and that was full. I think they had 60ish

Given this photo, I would imagine they include standing room, definitely check this out.

Copyright Hazel Dupreez

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at Barrandov Opera in Needham Market, Suffolk (our venue). They say up to 120 but that is seating some guests on the balcony. Also don't charge corkage but do ask that you buy drink through them but their prices are good & the owner is a wine person so can get most things.

Also, Wantisden Valley also in Suffolk is good for large parties. No idea on corkage for that though.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I agree with viewing the Barandov, it's beautiful and the website doesn't do it justice at all. X

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

If you are looking for a caterer I can recommend Jam Tartz based in Sudbury - they are one of the preferred caterers at the Barrandov. Their food is fabulous & we've been quoted a very good price too.

• E
    Beginner September 2012
    EssexHels ·
    • Hide content

It's not a barn as such (although there is a beamed hall) but have a look at Priory Hall in Hadleigh, Suffolk. No corkage and you can choose your own caterer. We got married there recently and I had 3 phone calls the next day from guests asking for the details - it really is something. The website doesn't reflect how lovely it is so I'd suggest having a look :-)

• Beachbum
    Beachbum ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at Moreves Barn which is Suffolk/Essex border www.moreves.co.uk

You can get married upstairs in the barn, which seats 60, or you can have it outside in the old cow shed, not sure how many that holds though..There are a few caterers you can choose from (although this is a new arrangement, because when we booked their only caterer was Chimneys who we are using.. although no complaints from us as their food is delish!). Oh and there is no corkage fee at all!

Hope that helps!

• T
    Beginner December 2013
    tams82 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

Have you tried vaulty manor? We were looking for 200 and it was big enough. Though not sure about corkage or anything! Hope that helps!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at Vaulty Manor!!

Barn like venues we went to see

Vaulty Manor, Maldon

Maidens Barn, Chelmsford

Smetham Hall Barn, Bulmer

Crabbs Barn, Kelvedon

Marks Hall, Coggeshall

Blake Hall, Chipping Ongar

Crondon Park, Stock

All very lovely venues, but our favourite was Vaulty Manor! We made a big list of things to each score out of 10, added it up and gave each venue an average score... best score wins (although we just knew which one was winning!)

If you've got the blessing of time then see lots. i really loved it. happy hunting!!!! xxxxxxx

Beginner August 2013
    *PrincessMeMa* ·
    • Hide content

Not sure when picture was taken but the ceremony room at Reid Rooms was extended this year I think. Not sure how many it holds now though.

I'm getting married at sister venue Room in Rodings, and using a separate caterer so we can have hog roast for sit down.

• EPW Photography (HIB)
    EPW Photography (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I agree Vaulty Manor is really beautiful, the field right next to it makes it really unusual too, really lovely for photos. Good luck x

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

You could take a look at Vaulty Manor they're now hiring the barn out at very reasonable rates and you can choose from a range of caterers.

Pete

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics