Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Justkeepswimming
Beginner July 2016

Suit etiquette, who wears them?

Justkeepswimming, 2 of February of 2016 at 19:35 Posted on Planning 0 6

We are about to embark on suit shopping. Just wanted some advice on what is the norm regarding who wears the same suits. Obviously groom and best man (or men in our case), and ushers? And father of the bride? Is that it? And is it usually the case that we would pay for all of those? presumably they just sort out their own shoes? Apologies for the stupid questions!

thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by Pooba, 3 of February of 2016 at 10:54
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And if you have them also the Grooms Dad.

Or just go for None (by that I don't mean nek-ed ? - but non hired suits)

or just groom

or just Groom and best man

But as most things wedding there is no set rules, its your day

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

We are having:

best man and 2 grooms men matching each other

3 bridesmaids matching each other

3 witnesses matching each other

me and fiance in something completely different and unique from the others

never understood why grooms are expected to dress the same as everyone else, its their day too

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

We bought 2 suits the same one for my dad and groom. We offered h2b's dad but he didn't want. There's a best woman not a best man so she's having the same dress as bridesmaids but a different colour.

But groom is going to end up in a different suit due to the original one not fitting and we will put his teenage son in his original suit so son and my dad will match.

Do whatever suits you best.

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

We are doing Groom, 2 Best Men & both dads! We don't have any Ushers just 2 best men, 5 in total - we are hiring from Slaters and you get one free when you buy 5 so we've only paid for 4. We are paying for them all, just asking them to wear brown shoes!

Like others have said do whatever you want xx

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

It's entirely up to you. We hired suits for the groom, best man, ushers and both dads - 8 altogether. The rental included shirt, jacket, waistcoat, trousers, cufflinks, cravat and the bit that goes in the breast pocket, so it was actually pretty good value and they looked wonderful. Everyone sorted their own shoes.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

We have groom in blue.

2 best men, 2 ushers and 2 dads all in grey, but all different.

We are buying for best men and ushers but not dads. Would have paid for dads but both sets of parents wanted to cover that themselves. We aren't paying for anyones shoes (or specifying which ones they need to buy, just the colour).

We are buying ties and pocketsquares that match in pairs.

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

We have 5 suits all matching - OH, best man, my brother (unofficial usher and witness), my dad, his dad. We've asked for them to pay for their own suits, which they're happy to do - all will use them going forward.

They can wear what they want on their feet, but I think consensus will be black.

That said, this was all kind of pushed by the parents. I remember having this discussion with laurafish a while back about matching/non-matching suits and we all came to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't have been fussed if they came in multicoloured suits - or even smart jeans! As long as they're there! Smiley tongue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics