Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner September 2015

Suit hire vs buying

Fairycake135, 7 of July of 2014 at 16:52 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi everyone,

We are trying to decide if it would be better to hire suits for the men (5 in total incl. 2 ushers) or buy them...it would be really nice for the men to keep their suits, but that would come down to how much the difference is in cost. Would you mind sharing your thoughts on this? We prefer a normal, slim fit suit as opposed to a morning suit with tails, etc. Something simple but with waistcoats as we think they look really smart. If we did buy the suits, a thought we would consider is asking the 2 ushers to wear their own suits (we know they both have some pretty smart suits) but they would still get a buttonhole. How much did your suits cost?

Thanks in advance x

7 replies

Latest activity by MRS RB, 7 of July of 2014 at 20:10
  • daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

We are hiring 6 suits in total. The total price is £350 for the hire. This is for a slim fit suit, waistcoat, cravat, shirt and standard cufflinks. So for each person it works out at about £60. I really don't think we could've bought 6 suits all the same for less/the same as that.

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

We have decided to hire ours as none of the boys will have any use for a suit afterwards and the cost to buy a decent suit doesn't compare. We paid about £360 for four suits including waistcoats, shirts, ties and pocket hankies. This cost also included H2B having his shirt specially made because he's a funny shape!! I looked at buying the cheap M&S/Next suits available but the quality was nowhere near as good as these.

These are the ones we went for.......navy slim fit and no tails! I HATE tails!

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairycake135 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Daisymoo and Emabee - can i ask where you hired your suits from? The prices sound quite competitive, and I love the pic Emabee, they look super smart.

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content
  • F
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairycake135 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ? x

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

This is going to sound really nasty, but the only way we could afford groomsmen was to have them buy the suits, and it was £75 per suit from materlan, grey slim fit almost matching the grooms just OH's has 1 small bit of detail extra on the jacket and OH has a waist coat.

I know if we went down the hire path they wouldn't of agreed to pay for them but as they got to keep them it was no problem. My sister (MOH) got her own dress and I only got my BM's because I owe her money and felt bad asking her to pay for it.

So all in all it worked out fair for everyone to pay their way for the outfit they get to keep.

• bamboo
    Beginner September 2014
    bamboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where did you hire the suits from? A lot of places we've been to say they do slim fit but they still look boxy and unflattering.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

We are buying-H2B wore a hired suit for his bro's wedding and they were grubby and the night before the wedding H2B had to stand and iron all the shirts. I was disgusted as they had paid £90 a suit!! When we initially decided to buy I knew that I wanted all the extras and this would cost but the bridesmaids are having everything paid for so thought it best we treat the groomsmen the same. H2B and I have discussed gifts and he has said they are getting their outfits so he doesn't plan to buy them a thank you gift (his choice- I have bought my Bridesmaids a few gifts).

Thought I'd give you an idea on what we are spending- hope it helps

H2B is having a bespoke suit that he will order nearer the time

2 best men and 3 dads are having these with black trousers. I got the jackets in M&S sale so worked out £55 each (with staff discount). The black trousers will come from M&S and the ones I like are £25 a pair (before discount)

The 2 ushers will be wearing black suits (that I hope to get in the sales in September).

Snowflake cufflinks on line= £3

Black shoes from M&S on a 20% off menswear day plus staff discount= £16

Ties- again M&S on a 20% off day plus staff discount= £4.80

Belts- Gap (Florida)= about £6

Socks- CK (Florida)= about £6

Shirts; planning to buy from M&S nearer the time- they are buy one get one 1/2 price so with discount work out about £24

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics