Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AllyDrew
Beginner May 2007

Suitable exercise for a person with knackered knees and ankles?

AllyDrew, 13 of March of 2009 at 09:15 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 2

Hello weight loss folks!

I'm trying to lose the hideous amounts of lard I managed to pile on during my recent pregnancy. I was hoping that all the fat would melt off with breastfeeding, but no such luck. 4 months post-baby and I'm still over a stone above my pre-preg weight and have a stomach like a stripy deflated balloon.

I'm really struggling with exercise at the moment. I go for long, brisk walks with the pram most days. I started doing davina exercise DVDs but my knees are utterly knackered from many, many old dancing injuries, and I managed about 3 weeks of exercising 4 times a week before I was in so much pain that I just couldn't continue.

Can anyone think of a form of exercise that

a) won't hurt my knackered knees and ankles

b) Can be done around a very demanding 4 month old baby who never sleeps and desn't much like being put down

c) is cheap - I'm on SMP and H has just been made redundant!

Thanks in advance.

2 replies

Latest activity by AllyDrew, 13 of March of 2009 at 13:11
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried your local council leisure centre? They'll almost certainly have concessionary rates, and might well be quite good - I joined mine recently in a bout of fed-up-ness with private gyms, and it is fabbity fab. It has a creche.

TBH though, walking with the buggy is excellent exercise and if you can keep that up I can't imagine there's be much that's better. I'm sure the ladies on BT will tell you it takes longer than just 4 months to shed the weight and if you've only got a stone still to go you're doing really well.

• D
    Beginner August 2003
    Dot. ·
    • Hide content

4 months? Will and Ruby are 3 and a half and 4 and a half and I'm still losing my pregnancy weight! Give yourself a bit of a break m'dear. Our bodies aren't made to shed the fat that quickly - it is there for a reason. You've got a very hectic, exhausting lifestyle at the moment. Just concentrate on getting through and spending time with your baby.

I believe 12 months is when the weight should start to come off a bit easier. I'd just stick with the walks for the benefit of the fresh air for now. Worry about that stone in 12 months time.

• AllyDrew
    Beginner May 2007
    AllyDrew ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the suggestions. A couple of my NCt friends have been to our local gym. It has a creche and they've happily left their babies there. It's def something I want to do in the future, but I'm not sure that Milly will go in the creche just yet, she's a total velcro-baby and is excl breastfed, so is difficult to leave for more than a very short time. I'd feel sorry for any poor sod i'd leave her with at the moment, the wee horror!

I know I need to chill out a bit about the weight loss. I've had an eating disorder since I was 14 (anorexia). I;ve been a normal weight since I was 26, but I've never been overweight before (my current BMI is 25.6). I'm finding it incredibly hard to cope with the utter disgust i feel at myself and my body. I really need to get down to a decent weight sooner rather than later for the sake of my own sanity. If only I was one of those women for whom the weight melted off as soon as the baby popped out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics