Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alison
Beginner August 2024 East Sussex

Suits for the men

Alison, 4 of October of 2023 at 18:58 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 7
What did everyone do regarding suits. It’s a second marriage and not sure if we want to go all matching or have something special for the groom and then ask other men to wear their own suits with a white shirt and we supply the tie so all matching. What are peoples thoughts? I don’t want to come across as tight but looking for ways to save a little.

7 replies

Latest activity by GrantAndOSullivan, 12 of April of 2024 at 14:20
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Are they likely to have their own suits? If so, then it makes sense just to ask them to wear their own and have matching ties. Not just cheaper but better for the environment not to buy a load of suits they may never wear again.

• A
    Beginner July 2026 Lancashire
    Alfonso ·
    • Hide content

This is a mistake

• GrantAndOSullivan
    South West London
    GrantAndOSullivan ·
    • Hide content

In my experience it's most common that the Groom has his suit specially made and the grooms will either have something similar off the peg, or pay for their own suits to be made but conforming to the theme of the wedding/grooms suits.

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Since you are a bespoke tailor, it's unsurprising that 'in your experience' the groom has his suit specially made. But for the majority of people, the groom will hire or buy an off-the-peg suit.

• GrantAndOSullivan
    South West London
    GrantAndOSullivan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's not my experience and I've tailored for hundreds of weddings. Whilst it's true many grooms will be buying off the peg, many are also having suits made for them - it's a once in a lifetime event and many grooms want something unique.

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Precisely - you are a tailor, so therefore every groom who comes to you is going to be wearing a tailored suit. This doesn't mean that every groom who ever gets married does the same thing. Please stop pretending that a bespoke suit is some kind of standard thing you have to have, just because it boosts your own business.

• GrantAndOSullivan
    South West London
    GrantAndOSullivan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Interesting responses from you, if you look at my other posts on the forum I've recommended the best off the rack suit options. I also sell off the rack & hire suits.

In any case, I'll put you down on the "doesn't want a suit" list.

Have a pleasant weekend.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics