Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ali_G
Beginner October 2012

Suits without waistcoats

Ali_G, 18 October, 2011 at 09:42 Posted on Planning 0 9

I was watching Hollyoaks last night (how educated am I?) and noticed that the males involved in the wedding didn't have waistcoats on and it actually looked alright.

I'm not a massive fan of waistcoats and neither is OH, so we're thinking of doing this ourselves. Has anyone else done it? If so, what sort of tie do you go for? A skinny one?

9 replies

Latest activity by Ali_G, 18 October, 2011 at 12:07
  • Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I thought it looked really good to! I liked the whole look of the wedding! I think you can go normal or skinny ties - as long as skinny works on the men, I find some men can't pull it off (my boy included)

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to have waistcoasts. Me, best man, ringbearer and father of the bride had matching ones (only because we ordered mine the wrong size and it fitted her dad so we kept it rather than sent it back) but the ushers and other men of the bridal party didn't have waistcoasts - just matching ties.

Either option are perfectly acceptable IMO.

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    marrygirls ·
    • Hide content

All of us bear witness to the dissolution of our piece of creation. Only the novelist can restore to us, in the miracle of ink that pours itself like blood onto paper, the lineaments of our lost worlds, alive.

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

There certainly is nothing wrong with wearing a two piece suit (a slim tie is better in my opinion but it depends on the guys figures).

There are a few things to be aware of though. If and when the guys decide to take off their jackets, it does look rather un-tidy. Shirts becoming un-tucked whilst dancing etc.

Also some of the guys may wear suits for work. In which case they are not going to feel very special or "wedding-y"

There is also a danger that the Grooms party will blend in with other guests and not look very different or special. They may even look under-dressed in comparison to some guests who have gone down the 3.piece suit option.

I know alot of people are not keen on the whole wedding waistcoat option (colored/patterns/swirly designs) but a 3.piece suit with a matching waistcoat could be a compromise.

Obviously all of that is dependant on your type of wedding.

I hope that helps some,

Marc

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

None of our wedding party had waistcoats. Just lounge suits and regular ties:

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

IMO - have to be waistcoats, I wouldnt want that 'at work' feel, its my wedding day and with the bride looking as lovely as she will, I want to make every effort as well !

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to wear just jackets, if it's a smart suit it will look lovely anyway.

My OH is actually thinking that he will have the waistcoat and no suit jacket, it'll probably be too warm for a jacket though.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on what type of suit they're wearing. To me, a morning suit needs a waistcoat, but a lounge suit doesn't.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrswebb2b ·
    • Hide content

My OH is wearing a 3 piece suit, having the waist coat matching the jacket and trousers instead of the usual coloured waistcoat as he really doesnt like that look.

We cant really afford to pay for suits for the Ushers though so we are going to ask them to wear their own suits and get them a tie to match the bridal party

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like this idea!

I'm thinking, 3-piece matching suits for groom, best man and father of the bride. Then normal 2-piece suits for the ushers with matching ties!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics