Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Panjita
Beginner May 2011
Panjita, 12 of May of 2014 at 14:40

Posted on Off Topic Posts 50

I've not used a sunbed in three years... I'm getting the urge to have some before I go on holiday. What are your opinions on them? Do you use them?

I've not used a sunbed in three years... I'm getting the urge to have some before I go on holiday. What are your opinions on them? Do you use them?

50 replies

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

No I don't. I am extremeley pale and I don't think a bit of sunburn is worth leathery skin and possibly cancer. I used to have the odd one when I was 16, as I was so conscious of my pale skin but soon wised up to fake tanning.

I am not one to bake in the sun either but I think the difference is, when people sunbathe they put SPF on. You don't on a sunbe do you? You just burn yourself. Sorry for sounding preachy, just my cabbage.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I don't usually, but I will be doing 3x3 minutes a week for 8 weeks before my wedding, and wearing spf on my face while I do so to protect from leathery wrinkly skin!

I sometimes wear fake tan (the moisturiser kind) but it's not good enough for the wedding day, there's usually some kind of evidence of fake tannage somewhere because of my skin type.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Never been on a sunbed, and I don't sunbathe either (can't think of anything more dull to do tbh).

I like the pale and interesting look, plus, the sun would trash my tattoos.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

No, never...pointless risk IMO.

Also, the desensitising theory is a lot of crap...it's been proven that it weakens your skins natural defences, making skin damage more likely when out in the actual sun.

I think many people forget that a tan is still skin damage, and is capable of causing cancer...for some reason we as a nation seem to think that only burning is dangerous, when the reality is that tanning is burning too.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

No. I like being pale and interesting. it took me many years to realise I am who I am and I should celebrate the fact that I look a little different and it makes me look interesting. Used to get people calling me ghost etc at school as so pale!

Saying that I do love having my freckles coming out....

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    loves-young-dream ·
    • Hide content

I know they're bad but I really want to use them for the run up to my wedding, I've never used one before and I'm quite pale, I know everyone's different but how long did it take for you to see results? I never tan on holidays Smiley sad

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2014-05-14/mps-ban-unmanned-tanning-salons/

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I think this thread has raised an interesting debate on the use of sun beds.

Agree with those who say drinking and smoking excessively is bad for you also, but I don't partake in those activities either. I think it comes down to personal opinion, and what level of risk you are willing to take. I like to looked tanned, becuase with my skin colour when I am not tanned I look a bit ill, but sunbeds and sunbathing I no longer consider appropriate ways to get some colour. I will have spray tans, or use moisturiser tan to give me the colour I am after. It doesnt look orange, but maybe it doesnt look quite real. I am happy though to not put myself in that risk catergory.

Wicky Wack I was so sad to read your post. Hugs.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I find it interesting that Queen Elizabeth hundreds of years ago used to use powder to make herself paler as that was the fashion and now the fashion is the TOWIE tan look.

Did anyone see Angelina Jolie on recent red carpet appearances? She was covered in white powder, so you think she is trying to appear paler?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Actually H2B and I were discussing that the other day. He must have seen an orange lady in the street and asked me why it was fashionable. Turns out that in the 1920s Coco Chanel accidentally tanned herself while on holiday, and when pictures appeared of her in the media, people thought it was deliberate and must be the new fashion and so started copying her.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I also think I look ill without a tan. I think if you are naturally quite pale, then it suits you and you shouldn't try to be something else. I feel like I am an import to the cold weather and my skin needs sunshine to look healthy. I feel like I look ill without a tan (I only occasionally use fake tan at the moment and haven't used a sunbed for 3 years). I don't like fake tan. It looks fake. It stinks. It gives me spots.

I think I should move to Italy or Greece...

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

As someone who was diagnosed with malignant melanoma skin cancer last year, they are a massive no no in my books. Im 29 and the last I used a sunbed was in my teens but apparently the damage can take 10 years to appear. Mine didnt grow from a mole, malignant melanoma just grew on my skin.

I am seen by my plastic surgeon consultant and dermatologist every 3 months for 5 years.

I fell pregnant the month of the surgery (conceived before obviously as I was in a great deal of pain). The baby will need blood tests and my placenta tested to check if cancer spread through placenta. Any child of mine now also has double the risk.

I too look awful without some colour but its not worth dying over.

I use cocoa brown dark one hour tan - good colour, coverage, wears off well and no stinky bed sheets as it only takes an hour to develop.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my god!!! SaSaSi, that's awful. I think I am convinced to steer clear.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Oh SaSaSi that's terrible. My dad's had a few "cancer bits" as my mum calls them on his back over the last few years that he's had removed. Thankfully none of it has spread. This is from use of sunbeds years ago. He does still like to sunbathe on holiday though, although he does use sun cream.

I will never use a sunbed again. I like to have a tan but I'll only ever try and tan on holiday or if we get a few nice weekend days in this country. I always use sun cream. I managed to get a brilliant tan on honeymoon in Mauritius while wearing factor 30 cream and sitting in the shade most of the time!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics