Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Sunburn

Holey, 3 of June of 2013 at 15:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 1 13

I am sunburnt, badly from the top of my knees to my ankles. What can I do to relieve the pain? I can barely walk it kills! I've resorted to ibuprofen to try and take the edge off and am applying moisturiser as often as I can (bearing in mind i'm at work)but its awful. I did it yesterday in the garden so when will I start feeling better?

Please be assured that this never happens to me, I'm fair so I practically bathe in suncream but for whatever reason yesterday I had a sun cream fail,I think I may have scratched it off because the rest of me isn't burnt. I am annoyed at myself for not realising I was burning. I have never been burnt before so had no idea it hurts this much

13 replies

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Have you got any sudocrem at home? If you have I would smother that on once you get home. You probably wouldn't want it on when you're out and about as it would look a bit odd! Make sure you stay hydrated too, so plenty of water.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ouchy.

It should start to feel a bit better from tomorrow. In a few days it should be bearable.

The cream you're using - what is it?

How bad is it? Have you blistered?

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

Aloe vera is meant to be good too but the main thing is to keep your skin hydrated. As said previously sudocrem gets rid of lots of things and you need to be drinking lots too

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Sunburn-Fast

https://tipnut.com/sunburn-relief-home-remedies-over-50-soothing-treatments/

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I used some soap and glory stuff yesterday to slap on and I've been using savlon and then at lunchtime I bought some aloe vera stuff you keep in the fridge so will try that when I get home.

Mrs imp the only thing I can think about sudocrem us that its quite hard to rub in so thinking it might aggravate my skin more?

Am also trying to drink loads of water.

I don't think its blistered thankfully but my legs are a bit swollen. Is that normal?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Try not to use any perfumed stuff such as soap and glory. That Aloe Vera stuff should be good.

Swelling is normal for severe sunburn.

If the skin isn't broken at all you can also try some hydrocortisone cream which should reduce the swelling.

As others have said - drink lots of water and carry on taking painkillers. Ibrupofen is best.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys.

Also thanks for not lecturing me, I know I'm stupid but definitely won't be repeating this mistake!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm in no place to lecture - pot, kettle, black (or red!) and all that!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Natural Yogurt is good at taking the sting out of sunburn - take it from me who's fair and freckly.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Ooh it's a horrible thing. H got really badly burnt on holiday once and he had to go and see the nurse to get some sort of medicated cream. The aloe vera gel that you put in the fridge was a god send though. The first night he kept waking me up in the night every couple of hours to put it on!

I'd stay away from your Soap & Glory stuff and stick with the aloe vera. Plenty of water, loose clothing and ibuprofen.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Hows it feeling now? Its easy to burn when its not that hot like yesterday, the cool breeze tricks you into thinking the sun isnt that strong.

The best thing to do initially is to ice it. You need to get the heat out of the burn - 10 mins minimum with a bag of peas on each leg then apply your creams - I agree with using hydracortisone and aloe creams and drink lots of water.

Hope you feel better soon

• John
    Beginner July 2022 East Central London
    John ·
    • Hide content

Aloe vera with a topical analgesic (pain killer). Paracetamol may help too but beyond that I think it's just time.

• R
    Florida
    ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear about your painful sunburn. Sunburn can indeed be incredibly uncomfortable, especially when it covers a large area like your knees to ankles. It's important to take immediate steps to relieve the pain and promote healing. Here are some suggestions:

1. Cool compresses: Apply cool, damp compresses to the sunburned area. You can use a clean towel soaked in cool water or take cool showers to help soothe the skin and reduce inflammation.

2. Moisturize: Continue applying moisturizer frequently, as it can help hydrate the skin and provide some relief. Look for products that contain aloe vera or other soothing ingredients to further alleviate the discomfort.

3. Over-the-counter pain relief: Ibuprofen can help reduce both pain and inflammation, so continue using it as directed to help alleviate the pain. Consult a pharmacist if you have any concerns or questions about the dosage.

4. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration and support the healing process. Sunburn can cause fluid loss from the skin, so replenishing your body with fluids is essential.

5. Loose clothing: Wear loose, breathable clothing to minimize friction and irritation on the sunburned skin. Tight clothing can exacerbate the pain and discomfort.

6. Avoid further sun exposure: Protect the sunburned area from further sun exposure. If you need to go outside, cover it with loose clothing or use a wide-brimmed hat and seek shade whenever possible.

7. Patience and healing time: Sunburns can take several days to heal, and the pain and redness may worsen before they improve. Be patient and continue to care for your skin by following the suggestions above. The healing process varies for each individual, but typically, you should start feeling some relief within a few days.

Remember, if the pain intensifies, blisters develop, or you experience other concerning symptoms, it's advisable to consult a healthcare professional for further evaluation and guidance. Take this experience as a lesson to be extra cautious in the future and make sun protection a top priority. I hope you feel better soon and recover from your sunburn quickly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics