Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kjay
Beginner August 2013

Sunday Roast / What is for tea?

Kjay, 9 of February of 2014 at 17:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 31

As it is just boyo and I we rarely have a proper roast dinner at home as in the past we always make far too much ( I say we I mean him, all I do is peel and chop as instructed)

So as a sort of compromise today tea is ahhh bisto toad in the hole with veg and mash and gravy. Very much looking forward to it.

Do you do roast dinners with all the trimmings? Is anyone else having a bit of a cheat tea / dinner today?

31 replies

Latest activity by Muppet, 11 of February of 2014 at 10:41
  • leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Yup I did chicken dinner with the works and some of those pigs in blanket mum made for me xmas time, so had those too. then just had jelly & custard for pudding.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We have a roast dinner every so often but not all the time, usually a quorn roast or nut roast with roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings & lots of veggies.

Today I can't be bothered though and just shoved in some wedges and a macaroni pie with beans haha!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Ohh MM3 I love a nut roast!! ehe I hepled mum make one at Christmas and it was very tasty.

EF that sounds delicious tho I have no idea what bulghar is?!

Can't go wrong with pigs in blankets leni, any pudding left?!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We had roast chicken with all the trimmings and it was yummy ?

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

H & I rarely have roast dinner. He's working tonight so I'm having chilli that I batch cooked and froze last week. An easy meal!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

erm nope sorry, the cat finished of the leftover custard ?

EF you going to have to take a pic a nd flash us your dinner, im intrigued to see what it is Smiley smile

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Ef that sounds amazing!

We almost always have a roast dinner on Sundays as we love them, although we had friends round this weekend so we went out for a roast dinner earlier today. We've swapped it round and we're having a fried breakfast for dinner (I feel like a bit of a pig!) I went for a run this afternoon to make myself feel better and the diet will be back on track tomorrow.

If we make too much roast dinner we eat any leftover potatoes cold or make bubble & squeak out of leftover potatoes and mash. Left over meat either becomes a stir fry for Monday's dinner or we make BBQ pulled pork (thanks to Rod's recipe) if we have pork.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

We rarely have roast dinners either - too much of a faff for me!

Tonight we are having roasted spiced veg (although I appear to have enough veg to feed a small army) with chicken stuffed with cream cheese. I sort of made it up, so hoping it tastes ok...

Kjay - not ignoring you I promise, just keep forgetting to reply to your text! ?

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

We don't have roast very often either. Tonight it is homemade pizza and homemade wedges with salad. Not my favourite, but nice enough.

Everyone elses sounds much more interesting!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

We rarely have a roast, as you say it's too much of a faff for the 2 of us.

To finish off our lovely weekend we've just had a curry delivered, it was lush!

• Meltdown
    Dedicated September 2021
    Meltdown ·
    • Hide content

I will sometimes do a roast but OH is not a huge fan.

He cooked tonight, Fish Chowder with rice rather than potatoes. It was fantastic. We have left overs for tomorrow. yum tum

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Epic dinner fail

Was meant to be toad in the hole

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Aww cookie!! That's why I let aunt bessie / bisto do ours!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

It's Ok I'm drinking wine to make up for it

• Gracey
    Beginner February 2012
    Gracey ·
    • Hide content

Yep we had a yummy roast beef, really enjoyed it - I seem to have mastered the art of Yorkshire puddings (finally, only taken about 10 years!) and we often use up the leftovers on the day after in a curry or some simple dish, but it's never quite the same.

• Twiga
    Beginner April 2012
    Twiga ·
    • Hide content

Oh yea... love a roast dinner in the twiga household. Have just said cheerio to some friends after H did an EPIC leg of lamb for us (Moroccan stylie, with all the usual trimmings). Wowsers.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I love a roast, but normally can't be bothered as it's a lot of faff for two people. We only really have one if the family gets together.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We never do a roast just for the two of us, but do quite often if we have family round/are visiting elsewhere. Last Sunday roast I had was the weekend after I passed my exam, H took me to Hawksmoor and it was awesome.

Today we had bread, Spanish ham, smoked salmon and salad for lunch, and fishcakes and veg for tea.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I love a good roast! Today was a lazy dinner as l was tied up painting spindles and building wardrobes. So we had pasta and beef in a tomato and spinach sauce with mange tout and baby sweetcorn, If we have roast then it is normally chicken or beef.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I used to think that a roast dinner was too much faff for the two of us, but recently since getting a slow cooker it's become a lot easier. I have a crap oven and it was too much trying to juggle all the trays of stuff I needed in there. So the slow cooker is perfect, and makes the best meat! I never do roast chicken though as I hate having to pick meat off all the bones, and seeing the carcass, but I hate wasting food so feel I have to use it all and pick off the meat ?.

Yesterday I did a leg of lamb in the slow cooker, was so tender and lovely. I then had roast parsnips, carrots and onions and roast potatoes cooked in the fat that had come out of grilling the sausage and bacon in the morning, delish. My Yorkshire puddings were a fail though, which was very sad, they are usually lush - this time however I tried to do it the James Martin way and used a muffin tin, they didn't rise! Will just stick to what I know!

I think it's a pretty healthy meal if I use oil spray to cook my veg and skip the yorkies! I usually prep my veg for it whilst I'm making dinner on the Saturday night so less work on the Sunday. I've also got plenty lamb left over to make stovies with tonight YUM ? , and if I'm a bit stingy with it I may also be able to eek it out into something for Tuesday too!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

All your dinners sound brilliant, making me hungry-i was on the last minute this morning and only had an apple Smiley sad

ATB, we have a slow cooker, should make more us off it really.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's so good for roasts - then means you already have leftovers for the next meal cooked. I am still very much at the experimenting stage with it. I got it so I didn't have to cook so much when I got home from work, but my first attempt at leaving it all day 7-5 was a total fail - did pork chops and they were disgusting. I don't know why I thought they would be ok for 10 hours when a whole joint only took 5 hours to cook!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

I cook a roast every Sunday and yesterday's menu was roast pork with the most perfect crackling :-) Honeyed leeks, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli cheese, peas, stuffing, roasties, boiled pots and a cheeky Aunt Bessie Yorkshire pud!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

I cook a roast every Sunday and yesterday's menu was roast pork with the most perfect crackling :-) Honeyed leeks, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli cheese, peas, stuffing, roasties, boiled pots and a cheeky Aunt Bessie Yorkshire pud!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

I usually do a roast but this weekend there were only 4 of us and we'd had a really busy Saturday so I went for a lower effort option: barbecue ribs. As they take over 3 hours to cook (and I didn't decide what to cook until 11 o'clock when we got back from a wedding breakfast) they had them in the evening.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This sounds amazing!

• V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

I love roast dinners, cooking and eating them - but rarely bother for just the 2 of us, so once a month or so I tend to invite friends/family around to make it more worthwhile cooking!

Last night we had smoked haddock and runner bean risotto and it was bloody lovely even if I do say so myself!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

I make a roast dinner every Sunday without fail, I have my mum and OH mum and sister too. But I often have 10 or 11 people for dinner. I find it easier cooking for large amounts then for 4 of us. Just can't get the portions right but I blame my mum for that. She's a feeder. Then come 8pm someone always mentions just eat. Haha.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I hate roasts! I only have them at Christmas. Sunday is easy dinner day, so, fish fingers or something equally grown up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics