Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2012

sunday wedding

AmandaDixon, 19 February, 2012 at 22:07 Posted on Planning 0 23

Me and my H2B are getting married on a sunday

And we have a few weird comments about it.

Im just wondering if anyone else is getting married on a sunday and did they get weird comments from guest about having it on a sunday

xxxx

23 replies

Latest activity by Vanilla Pod, 20 February, 2012 at 16:22
  • clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

We considered it, and even when we were considering it I had odd comments about 'Oh I'd have to leave really early' and 'my otherhalf wouldn't let their hair down as work the next day'.

In the end, our venue made no price reduction for days of the week so we are having it on a saturday. But it is your day and everyone should be happy for you and anyone who matters will make the effort!

What sort of comments have you had?

• purpletaff
    Beginner June 2012
    purpletaff ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married on a Sunday (25% off the food) but it is before a bank holiday Monday so haven'y really had any comments. The big discount means that e can invite more people so better for everyone I think!

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    lstoods ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Me and my other half are getting married on a sunday next year, and the first thing people say is 'i didn't know you could get married on a Sunday'

To be honest, until earlier this year i would have thought it was a bit weird too but we attended a sunday wedding and it made no difference at all. Ours is going to be a bank holiday so will feel like a saturday anyway. The cost of our venue was half the price for a sunday! Smiley smile

Good luck with your planning!x

• A
    Beginner August 2012
    AmandaDixon ·
    • Hide content

Same as you, cant have fun due to work next morning or you cant due to a traditional day of rest

Due to our numbers for the ceremony and sit down meall, we had a choice of a sunday wedding or a day during the week, but couldnt have a friday or saturday.

But we aint fussed about the day we're getting married on, we just happy we are getting married

just wondering if anyone else is on the same boat as us???

xxxxx

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sunday and honestly, sod anyone who can't be bothered to book the Monday off just so they can attend. In all honesty, if they wont make the effort they are MORE than welcome to sit at home.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Sunday because that was the only weekend date left in September, and it saved nearly £2000 for the venue hire compared to a Saturday during the peak season. I had one friend who couldn't make it because it was a good 5 hour round trip and she couldn't take the Monday off because she's a school teacher BUT I had other friends doing the same journey and they hadn't taken the Monday off - each to their own and IMO, she missed out. The majority of people left by 22:30 but there were enough of us left until the end to make the most of it.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

No disrespect to your friend but 5 hour round trip is not a lot at all. I have a friend who drives a 3 hour journey one way to see me for the weekend at 2 hours notice. Literally "You fancy coming over?" BAM!! 3 hours later she's here. You're right ...her loss. ?

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

We had a Sunday wedding, no one said anything. Saved us money too.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

We're not getting married on a sunday but on a friday. We have had a few comments to but tbh I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. It saved us a lot of money having it on a week day and we can make a long weekend of it!

• M
    Beginner July 2013
    MrsM2be ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding will be a sunday... It's cheaper for us. We haven't had any comments about it but it's our day so we figured people will come if they want too.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sunday too - mainly because it was one of the only free days in April at our venue and I had my heart set on April. We also could have gotten married on Good Friday which I preferred but our families are both Catholic and had a fit about it!

For my side - all traveling from the US - the day doesn't matter as they'll all be taking holidays around the wedding. For the rest, we figured, people often take off a day or two for weddings so what did it matter if they took Monday off rather than Friday?

No one has really said anything to us - I do think people are a bit surprised sometimes when we tell them but they seem to be fine. And it worked well for us being a bit cheaper too.

I have had a few wobbles about it being on a Sunday but it's two months away now and I am not too bothered at this point Smiley smile It is nice to hear of others having Sunday weddings though!

• michellethekiwi
    Beginner September 2013
    michellethekiwi ·
    • Hide content

We are get married on a sunday too, it was £2,000 cheaper and our minimum only had to be 60. We have most of our guests coming from NZ so it doesn't matter to them what day it is, and if any of our guests don't want to come on the Sunday due to not taking a day off on the Monday then sod them! We looked at a friday too but that meant people had to take the day off work, whilst they now have the option to take the Monday off or not. We are also going child free, we haven't let anyone know that yet as we know that is going to ruffle a few feathers!!

• F
    Beginner November 2012
    fryer83 ·
    • Hide content

It is generally cheaper to get married on a Sunday or any other week day. Our venue gives discount if you have a mid week or Sunday wedding. We went for a Saturday, basically because my work mates all wanted to come and they all couldn't come together if it was on a working day. Wouldn't be allowed for half the office to be off at once. Lol.

My OH's cousin got married on a Sunday last November but they just had a meal after the church, no disco Smiley sad They didn't have a honeymoon and the groom went back to work on the Monday morning...I was like WTF?? No disco, honeymoon and then back to work the day after the wedding. Just don't do that. Haha!

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

We're getting marrie don a friday & a few people arent coming because of work....which (rude as it is) kinda of why we did it. those people are coming for the evening and the most important people are there in the day. i'm a little sad that on e of my best friends wont take the day off but her choice.

as for the travelling...i use to travel 5.5 hrs round trip on a sunday to see the OH. thats love!

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

ImzadiColeoidea - my friend's other excuse was that she didn't want to be apart from her boyfriend (who only had an evening invite), when our other friends had husbands attending all day. At that point in time, I'd only ever met the boyfriend once at another evening reception and we couldn't afford to invite everyone + 1 to the whole day. I was secretly a bit disappointed because we're all adults, not like we're in our teens and joined at the hip to boyfriends, plus I'd do a mammoth journey to attend any friends special day. Anyway, apologies for going off on a tangent...WP is great fun but it's an eye opener too.

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

We re getting married on a bank holiday sunday next year. we ve had several comments too like evreyone else, some people were worried they would be working but i told them it was bank hols, so they re all excited they can make it (our manager is a bit mean and would deliberately not allow people the day off!) anyway, we ve alot of people travelling from cornwall, norway and oz, so some people will travel a few days before so we can extend the celebrations with everyone and have a damn good long weekend!!

if people dont want to come because they cant be bothered about taking time off for a monday, then im afraid its their loss!

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

Nik_Nak - I just watched some of your wedding video, you're beautiful! ?

I am considering the same option with a friend of mine. I am not sure whether to invite her boyfriend as I've met him once and did not like him in the slightest.

There are also other people from a group I'm part of who really don't deserve invites but sort of have to be there for various reasons. That is, if I don't crack and tell them all to shove it before hand ?

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sunday too, we wanted the 16th and it just happened to be a Sunday, didn't really think about it being odd - although when enquiring about bands a couple did say - were you aware thats a Sunday - did you mean that date!? lol

Our invites not out yet so dont know what people will think but I know my nearest and dearest will be happy to have the following day off - dont care about the others lol

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'd go to a Sunday wedding of a good friend or close family, but may have to decline for a not so close friend (but those are the people you're probably not bothered about!).

I have the minimum amount of annual leave and, having taken the time off for our wedding/honeymoon, I have 5 days left for the rest of the year. I ended up having to take 2.5 unexpectedly in January, so only have 2.5 to last me the whole year. So it isn't really a case of not being bothered or not making the effort to take a day off, I really and truly couldn't. Most teachers also wouldn't be able to take the day off.

We live miles away from anywhere, so it wouldn't be a case of being able to drive home, unless we just came to the day part and left early.

So just bear in mind that your RSVP rate might not be as high as it would be on a Saturday, but if you're happy with that, then go for it!

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

Back in the day when I was 18 I used to waitress at weddings. I did it for a year and that summer (it would have been 2003) the venue where I waitressed was booked for weddings every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from July to September so weddings definitely do occur on Sundays.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Aw thanks ImzadiColeoidea ? I'm not a short @rsed James Bond baddie really (ref my avatar). I have no regrets re: not inviting her boyf, the OH only gave some of his cousins evening invites, so it was only fair. My friend gets married next year and if she only gives the OH an evening invite, I'll still make the effort for her - we've been friends for 20+ years and I still value our friendship. AbbyGlos - we found that too, most suppliers were free on our day.

Anyway, good luck with the planning guys x

• J
    Beginner March 2013
    Jayne_3131 ·
    • Hide content

Were getting married on a Sunday in march, reason was the venue is a lot cheaper as its low season and on a Sunday. No one has made any comments yet! We have a small number for the ceremony and wedding breakfast (again to keep costs low). Our family and close friends aren’t bothered and they are the people we want there the most, anyone else that can make it then great. My sister is flying all the way from LA to be with us on our special day xx

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Sunday last year, it wasnt a bank holiday and it just happened to be the first Sunday in September so a lot of children were back at school the next day! (This wasnt on purpose!) We didnt get our venue any cheaper, ours is a big converted church bar/ restaurant which isnt actually a wedding venue but we loved the building and asked the owner if we could hire it for our reception. As its so busy the only day he could close and let us take it over was a Sunday. We got a few comments from people in the run up but only older people who are more traditional. We had a full catholic wedding mass and were married in church and then went to our venue and all our guests with the exception of a couple stayed and partied till 1am! I wouldnt worry at all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics