Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2015

sunday weddings

suzannelewington, 1 of June of 2014 at 20:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hello ladies. I have seen a number of threads on here recently about midweek weddings etc. We are getting married on a sunday. I was just wondering if anyone had been to a wedding on a sunday and what the evening reception was like. Did people leave early as they didn't want to take the next day off work or was there a party going on quite late? Just had a horrible thought the evening may end at 10??? X

14 replies

Latest activity by suzannelewington, 2 of June of 2014 at 21:16
  • ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Personal order of preference; Sat, Sun, Fri, Thurs in that order.

Sunday means a leisurely morning preparation getting dressed for the wedding, and hopefully a nice relaxed mind after having Saturday off work. Prefer it to Fridays as I work Mon-Fri, so a Sunday wedding means not trying to beg for annual leave. Plus, I can usually wrangle a 10am start time on Monday after a special event at the weekend, so I'd stay til 11.30 or midnight, which is the typical end time of any wedding.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sunday. Most of my family (me included!) are teachers/work in schools and our Sunday is during school holidays so that's not a problem. The rest of my family, with the exception of my brother, are retired. Fiance's family will have to travel for the wedding and are therefore taking the Monday off. Some already have it booked as part of their Christmas leave.

You may find there's the odd person who leaves earlier because they're going to work on the Monday but it won't cause the end of the party, I'm sure.

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

Thanks claiee. We aren't getting married till 3pm. I think most of our guests will take the monday off but after seeing other posts ive suddenly had a panic lots of people will leave early x

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sunday too. Most, if not all of our guests are staying over and the plan is to have a big breakfast on the Monday before going our separate ways.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

My first wedding was on a Sunday and it was fine, most people stayed till at least 11pm and those who had taken the Monday off stayed later

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

As a photographer I regularly shoot weddings on Sundays. I've never noticed loads of people leaving early or any other issues.

Don't let it put you off. I'm sure people will just book the Monday off work.

I've only ever done one wedding where the guests left early and that was due to a terrible dj!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I've only been to one Sunday wedding, which we did leave early, but that was because the bride and groom were knackered and had left to go to bed at 9.30!

If the wedding was far away, I'd try to take the Monday off and stay overnight, but if it was nearby I might just leave at a sensible-ish time. To be honest, if all your guests have had a fab day and a good dance in the evening, I don't think it matters too much if things wind down by 10.30-11ish. You may well be exhausted by then!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think l have ever been to a wedding on a Sunday? Because of the way my shifts work out, if l wasn't that working that weekend then l would be working on the Monday from 7.30am so l would be tempted to book it off work if it was a close friend or family member.

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mellypoos ·
    • Hide content

We are having a Sunday wedding but as most people are coming from out of town, early leaving shouldnt be a problem as they are staying until the Monday anyway. It's coincidentally fallen on a local holiday too and as I work for the government, those coming from my work will have a long weekend anyway so no issues with them getting annual leave.

I have planned my evening to finish at 11pm anyway so i'm hoping that will give people a reason to stay till the end

• M
    Beginner December 2015
    MrsW2b2016 ·
    • Hide content

My friend got married on a Sunday and it was fine. I stayed over and took the Monday as leave but as I remember it (I was rather drunk!) there were still loads of people there at the end.

We're debati getting married on a Sunday but have a lot of kids in our family so are worried they'll leave early as there is will have school the next day. Any opinions in this too? Xxx

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I get married this Sunday. Growing up I only ever attended weddings on Sunday due to the fact I grew up Adventist and Saturdays are our day of worship.

ive been to a few weddings on a Saturday and to be honest they are no different we party just as late and just has hard...

i normally just book the Monday of work.

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a bank holiday Monday and most of our friends/family have booked the following day off work to stay in the hotel with us but for those that can't, the party ends at midnight anyway so it's not that late x

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I have personally left a sunday wedding early (if 10.30pm counts as early) but i'm boring and old and had young school children with me.

i'd still leave early nowadays because i'm even more boring, even older and in teacher training.

HOWEVER i'm not your guest so it doesn't matter! honestly i think you'll be fine. i've been to quite a few saturday weddings recently where people have been leaving as early as 7pm, and many around the 9.30pm-10pm mark, so really and truly it would seem it doesn't matter what day you marry, people leave when THEY'RE ready to.

mr winters mum, dad and brother left our wedding at 7.30pm because she was on chemo and tired. his godparents left at 5pm! his garndparents (also on chemo) left at 4pm.

we went to a wedding last sat and left at 11.15pm because our son was tired and i had a headache. we went to another friends wedding in nov on a sat and were the last guests to leave at well gone midnight.

swings and roundabouts my lovely but come the day, you honestly won't notice or care. just dance your own ass off and enjoy it! Smiley winking

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

We're marrying on a Friday and I'm nervous about that but I thought more people would be likely to be allowed the day off for the wedding rather than the Monday for being hungover. Also h2b is a sportsman so games are usually on a Saturday so more people are likely to be able to come.

end of the day it is your big day and your closest family and friends will be there to stay with you all day and night and that is all that matters. Most weddings end at 11/12 anyway and those that go on longer... Fair play I would be exhausted! I have worked over 30 weddings and due to the venue it all has to stop at 11. Believe me that was late enough as so many drunk people and exhausted bride and groom. Do not worry people will be with you until the end. Sunday seems to be the new Saturday!

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. You have all put my mind at rest. Think I was havin a bit of an imsecure moment yesterday. Your all completely right, it will be a great day no matter what ;-) and im pretty sure ill be exhausted come the evening xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics