Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

fizzypop
Beginner July 2011

Sunday Weddings...opinions?

fizzypop, 28 July, 2009 at 16:02 Posted on Planning 0 29

Hi, we've got to the stage where we are going to book our venue very soon. I have fallen in love with the Turkey Mill in Maidstone, after going to a wedding there recently, but they are all booked up in Summer 2011 on Fridays (which we originally planned). They do have Sundays available, which I have no problem with, but I wondered if anyone had any experience of a Sunday wedding? Do people leave early, or not come at all? I think I'm worrying too much, but this venue is more expensive than our entire wedding was meant to be so I guess I'm just feeling a bit daunted by the whole thing!

Thanks in advance!

29 replies

Latest activity by fizzypop, 1 August, 2009 at 12:32
  • ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

It would be brilliant if it were a Bank Holiday weekend.

OH and I have to go to a wedding on Monday and we have to leave at 9:00, to get home for 1:00 in the morning, so that OH can go to work on the Tuesday, as he couldn't book it off, so that may also be an issue for you.

Just make sure you send the invites out in good time!

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

Hi bridetobe1987

We are getting married on a Sunday, 25th July next year. At first we wanted a Saturday, but would you believe it - in May 2008 there were no summer Saturdays available at our venue! So after thinking about it long and hard we decided to go for Sunday - the way I think of it is the majority of people don't work on a Sunday (well, this is true of our guests, could be different with others!) and where we have chosen to get married is not too far from where most of our family and friends live. If people want to be able to have a drink they will be able to either get a cab back or book the Monday off work and stay over - IF they want to.

I've never personally been to a Sunday wedding but I think if you give people enough notice they can decide what they want to do. I know it won't really make a difference to those who are closest to us and if some people want to leave early then that's up to them, we won't be offended.

Hope that helps a bit!

• S
    Beginner October 2010
    spinspinsugar ·
    • Hide content

Hi ?

I'm having my wedding on a Sunday, Halloween 2010! in a hotel up in the Lake District. I live in Liverpool, as do most of my family and friends, so everyone who is coming to the wedding will be staying over in the hotel we're getting married in. I've given everybody 15 months notice and they all seem happy to take the monday off and make the most of a weekend up in the Lakes.

However I did go to a wedding last year on a Sunday, it was fantastic and my fiance and I stayed quite late but I did notice a lot of people leave early as the wedding didn't take place too far from home for people so I guess a lot of people left as they had work the next day.

I guess it depends on your guests, family and friends, location etc... I'm not having a big wedding so it's mostly just our nearest and dearest coming, and like I said there's been plenty of notice given and our guests are happy to take time off to stay with us which is lovely ?

HTH xx

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

OLL my H2B is a teacher so he'll be off at that time anyway

I will be sending out Save the Date magnets, so that should give people plenty of time. It's just we've had a couple of negative comments about picking a Friday already, so I don't want people now commenting on it being a Sunday (if it is), even though it is two years away!

Thanks for the replies x

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol....I meant for guests...I know that your OH isn't going to leave early from your wedding....lol ?

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Oh yeah haha! God, I must be tired. Ignore me ?

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

I think a sunday wedding is fine, the important people will always make the effort to go and really taking a monday off vs taking a friday off is no different in my opionion.

(we are having a friday wedding and I paniced initally about people not coming but then realised the important ones will).

As long as I was given enough notice I think a Sunday would be lovely

x

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooh la la is right. one of my friends got married on one of the bank holiday sunday's in may this year (the one with the glooooorious weather, lucky thing!) and it was great, as i was off on monday so had that day to recover from my hangover sore feet from all the dancing.

if it's NOT a bank hol weekend, it might prove more difficult. i would be more inclined to leave earlier than i would a wedding on a saturday (or a friday for that matter) because of work the next morning.

• S
    Beginner October 2010
    spinspinsugar ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely! That's what I say about my Sunday wedding too x

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

Forgot to add - the 1 thing that disappointed me about a Sunday was that our reception has to finish earlier than on any other day. The last orders are 11pm and then everyone has to leave by 11.30pm. For me this is really early and I would like it to be more like 1am!! But after weighing it up, it just wasn't enough for us to not go with that venue and that day.

Seriously if people want to moan they will moan, regardless of whether you get married on a Saturday, Friday, Tuesday etc. You won't ever please everyone and in my opinion if there are people who want to moan they can, or they can leave early or not come, doesn't matter to us ?

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Drifter, I though that about taking days off, as they would have already been taking a day's holiday. And also a lot of people work Saturdays anyway so not much different, I just never really considered having it on a Sunday until that became the only way we could possibly have theTurkey Mill.

Although, the wedding would finish at midnight so it's not too late I guess.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm starting to realise that, I think I need to stop worrying so much about what others think. But it can be hard when all you ever get is people telling you what you should do!

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

My Aunt got married on a Sunday last year. I booked the Monday off but h2b went to work and to be honest it wasn't a big problem at all. It was nice to have the Saturday to do stuff, like go have a spray tan etc. I prefer it to a Friday, where you are forced to take the day off whether you want to or not.

• cotteesgirl
    Beginner September 2009
    cotteesgirl ·
    • Hide content

We are having ours on a Sunday and all the day people are attending and some are taking the next day off, and some are not - which is amazing as most of them live miles away and are still making the effort to drive up and drive back in one day!.. we expect not so many to turn up for the evening though but thats cool as someone said the most important friends are there for the day. People are really accommodating as long as they have plenty of notice, and i must admit not one person has turned round and said oooh how strange youre having it on a sunday.

my advice girlie is go for it!!!!! x

• Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

I think a Sunday wedding would be lovely.

Plus, remember, not everyone works Mon-Fri 9 till 5pm. Loads of my friends and family work shifts, funny hours and funny days and tbh a Sunday wedding would suit far better than a Saturday one.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies, I feel better about it now. And as some of you have said, the most important people will be with us all day so it won't make too much difference.

• millymolly83
    Beginner August 2010
    millymolly83 ·
    • Hide content

Ooo we looked at turkey mill! But decided to go somewhere else instead, but very very gorgeous venue!

We are getting Married on a Sunday, Sunday 22nd August 2010.

The bar closes at 12 so worst case, people can still go to work the following day.

And as someone else said, If people want to attend they will, regardless the day!!!!!!

Go for it!!

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what everyone has said, that the people who want to share the day with you will make the effort to be there. Plus, they'd have had to take a Friday off if you'd gone for the Friday wedding, so it's kind of irrelevant whether they need to take the Monday off instead.

• M
    missrsvp ·
    • Hide content

I think that given enough notice anyone who really is important to you will be able to make it. Just make sure you give plenty of notice x

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

I say go for it! I've been to a couple of Friday weddings where I've had to take the day before off too for travel. And also to a Monday wedding where I needed the Tuesday off to travel again. There is the possibility some people won't be able to make it but that is true regardless of which day you have your wedding.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, we are seeing the venue on Friday so hopefully we can book it and then I can relax a little ?

• hapibride2be
    Beginner November 2014
    hapibride2be ·
    • Hide content

Sunday wedding is not that bad, well this isoften a greta day foe a wedding, people will not be too much busy at this day foe as we all know sunday is a family day. Don't worry too much everything will be hust fine as how you planned it.

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

Our friends got married on a Sunday & most of the guests had booked the following day off work.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a Sunday and I think most of the 'important people' that I want there will be taking the Monday off work anyway. We also went for August so that the children are all off school anyway so no problems there either.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

This year I've seen a massive increase of weddings on days other than a Saturday, mid week and Sunday. They have all been equally as good as a Saturday wedding. As someone rightly said, if people have enough notice, they will make arrangements to be there. Go for it.

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sunday, our venue charged less for Sun-Thurs weddings so we went for a Sunday right from the start. Neither of us are originally from the place where we live now (and where we're getting married) so most of our guests will have to travel anyway - we figured that whatever way we sliced it people will need days off work, as if we'd chosen a Saturday, guests would probably travel on the Friday.

Two of my cousins got married on Sundays too, I don't think they had any problems with people not being able to come as a result. One of them did choose a Bank Holiday Sunday but I noticed when we were looking at venues that a lot of places just charge their Saturday rate for the whole of Bank Holiday weekends so that might not help with your costs.

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

we're getting married on Easter Sunday, which is great as guests will have friday and monday off anyway and will have time to travel. also that gives us 2 extra days off work without taking them as holiday, and the rates were like any other sunday - muhhhch cheeper then a Sat!

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for replying. We went to see the venue on Friday and we loved it, so have provisionally booked it! All we have to do is send our cheque to them and it's a done deal. So excited! 31st July, 2011 here we come ?

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

Wooo, exciting! We can plan together as mine is May 2011, it seems so far away though and I am impatient!

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Me too! I keep being told it goes quick, but at the moment it feels like ages! I think my next task will be finding a photgrapher and to do the Save the Date magnets. Have you got far with your planning?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics