Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2010

supermarket cake

MillyMollie, 23 March, 2010 at 19:49 Posted on Planning 0 10

My sister in law to be makes amazing cakes and was intending to make our wedding cake, however since she lives in Jersey it is turning out to be far too much hassle to transport. We have decided to go for a supermarket cake. ASDA do cheap simple white square cakes which I thought I could just stack and decorate. Has anyone done this and have pics/advice. Probably just going to put some nice ribbon around and buy a nice topper but looking for ideas. Also do I need to support the tiers or can I just stack them?

10 replies

Latest activity by emsa1, 27 March, 2010 at 16:19
  • L
    Beginner February 2011
    Lucy137 ·
    • Hide content

Not really sure, but i think a few people have had/will be having M and S cakes. i think you wil need some kind of supports to stack them. probably not much help... im sure someone will come along with a more helpful answer soon!

• KristaltippsHall
    Beginner February 2011
    KristaltippsHall ·
    • Hide content

I thought you meant you wanted a cake designed like a supermarket! ? I was thinking wow thats one I've not heard before!

Sorry, no good with the cake decorating stuff, not very DIY at all me, someone will be along with an answer soon. good luck. x

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    MillyMollie ·
    • Hide content

Thanks will keep waiting

• GEMINIBEBE
    Beginner August 2010
    GEMINIBEBE ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, I am having a cake from M&S but when enquiring about it, they said the one that I want comes ready assembled.

I looked into stacking three tiers and decorating with flowers previously and I was advised to definately use dowels(?) through the middle of the tiers to support the one on top if you know what I mean. Else the whole lot could collapse (I have heard of this happening)OMG!! Be aware also that fruit cake is MUCH heavier than sponge cake, so if you are having fruit, either have it as the bottom tier or make sure it is well supported internally!!

There is another thread about M&S cakes that I posted on earlier which has some info too. Have you asked instore at Asda?

?

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

We're making our own cakes & I was confused by the dowels so I've bought a 3 tiered cake stand so each cake will go on a different tier & I don't need to worry about our DIY cake collapsing!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I was originally going to have an M & S cake, but after pricing it up I found it to be just as expensive as having a cake made. In the end we found a lady in our area who made cakes more as a hobby than for a business, and we had a three tiered cake for £125.

Thats not much help really, but maybe you could see if there was anybody similar in your area?

I don't like cake so didn't want to pay hundreds of pounds for one. I wouldn't have been fussed if we didnt have one at all, at one point I was looking into having a huge jam doughnut instead ?

• GEMINIBEBE
    Beginner August 2010
    GEMINIBEBE ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, it would be great to find a local business to make the same cake for me for less, and also for the piece of mind side too - I have images of my cake being chucked on the back of an M&S lorry and getting all squashed.....

I enquired at a shop thats got a good reputation in my town via email, I sent them a pic of the M&S one, and they quoted me £200 - £350!!!!!!!! The cake is priced at £199!!!

I would much rather have somebody make it but am not paying more than £200!!

• Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey
    Beginner December 2008
    Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I reckon that most cake makers (us included) would make a better cake for you at £250, which includes decoration, dowelling, stacking, delivery and most of all, peace of mind !

• L
    Beginner May 2011
    Lucylou27 ·
    • Hide content

What about using something like these separaters with your Asda cake? I found them on

http://www.myperfectweddingshop.co.uk

Theres quite a few different ones on there?

• emsa1
    Beginner May 2011
    emsa1 ·
    • Hide content

GEMINIBEBE have you thought about contacting your local W.I? they always have amazing cake makers and would probably charge you very little

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics