Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2016

Supermarket flowers for the reception?

marie75, 12 of July of 2015 at 12:17 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all,

I was just wondering has anyone used flowers from any supermarket for their reception space? I've seen some beautiful arrangements in various supermarkets and even with factoring in buying vases they would work out well under half the cost of the florist. My idea would be to buy them one or two days in advance then just unwrap and place I'm the vases when we are setting up the venue? My regular supermarket said they can pre order me what I want.

just wanted to know if anyone had done this?

10 replies

Latest activity by Scottish_Sarah, 15 of July of 2015 at 12:55
  • BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

I think its a great idea. It would only be a problem if you want a 'proper' arrangement. If you're going natural / rustic it should look lovely.

We're going for live flowering plants that we can take away after - supermarket / garden centre - in nice pots.

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    marie75 ·
    • Hide content

I've got distressed zinc buckets with blackboard labels on the side so just want something to fill those and the rustic kind of look suits me absolutely fine. Although I do love your idea BumbleBees of flowering plants. Just don't want to spend a bomb on the floral arrangement kind of centrepieces from a florist x

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea however only thing I would wonder about is whether the ones you want aren't in stock so I think you would need to be casual about the ones you want but Deffo yes especially if you have a bit of a artistic flare I wonder if a family member would be willing to help you out and be in charge of dealing with getting them on the day/day before to keep them as fresh as possible especially if your just putting them in vases

• J
    Beginner March 2015
    JLLS ·
    • Hide content

We didn't buy from a supermarket but we did but directly from a flower wholesaler. We did flowers and pew ends for the church and then put gypsophilia and roses in little milk bottles wrapped in ribbon for the tables and dotted around the venue. This cost us £170 for all the flowers and we had an abundance of gyp left over. The flowers we had lasted for ages - we still had the gyp and roses table decs weeks after the wedding. The quality of some supermarket flowers can not be so good which is the only thing I would be wary of.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

I think it is an excellent idea if you don't want fancy flower arrangements. It is good that your regular supermarket can order you what you want and put it aside, that must be a great help.

• B
    Beginner July 2016
    bananacatdance ·
    • Hide content

Our friends did this and did it very simply but it looked lovely - they had a thin stem glass and put one of two flowers in each on each table. I think we'll be doing something similar as you can spend hundreds on flowers otherwise!

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    marie75 ·
    • Hide content

The lady I asked at the supermarket said the best thing to do was to go in the week before to see what they are stocking and then pre order from that. She also said as wedding not till next August keep an eye out this August then that will give me some idea of what types of flowers etc are available. I understand what's been said about the flowers not being such high quality but if I'm only buying them the day before I think they'll still look their best except for possibly a few rogue ones which I can just remove.

thank you for all your comments, it's given me the confidence to do this and save a fortune xx

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Would only echo what's already been said apart from one most important point which is have you tested your zinc bucket to see if it's watertight? A lot of them aren't - most of the ones sold in wholesalers are labelled as non-watertight so the best way to find out is to fill it full of water and leave it in the sink overnight to see if there any leakages.

Also to add is when you have bought your flowers, unwrap them them all, cut the stems at a sharp angle and use the flower food provided to prolong their life. Oh, and keep them out of draughts and the sun/heat.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea, maybe just have a practice before to see how it looks.

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    marie75 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou for this overtherainbow, I did think about the buckets and if they'd be watertight, I need to dig them out and test and I'd there's leakage think about containers to go inside them.

thanks for the tips about storing them too.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We did a mix of flowers from the garden with some from the supermarket - not an arrangement as such just bunches then separated out. It worked really well we had a rustic theme.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics