Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner July 2014

Supermarket wedding cake

ptb13, 22 May, 2013 at 22:40 Posted on Planning 0 14

Our florist is decorating our cake for us and so we'll be going for a plain wedding cake from a supermarket. I've heard marks and spencer do a good one. Any body had experience of this type of thing? Are they nice and are there any other good supermarket cakes out there? Did anybody decorate their own plain wedding cake? Id love to see pics if you did! Thanks!

14 replies

Latest activity by Mrsdsoon, 23 May, 2013 at 15:15
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

M&S Is pretty decent (not had one my self but have eaten a few over the years) I don't believe the M&S cakes are particularly high so not the best for stacking (unless you use pillars) works well on tiered cake stands though.

Waitrose do some decent wedding cakes that you can order via their website.

• gippdeer
    Beginner February 2014
    gippdeer ·
    • Hide content

One of my best mates had a M&S wedding cake - It was a nice cake and I hear others say nice things about them as well

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

M&S cakes taste good... but I think I prefer Waitrose. I've not tried their wedding cake, but I like their other cakes better.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I have heard good things about the M&S cakes too, but never tried one myself.

Instead of using dowels for the cake, what about hiring a cake stan? I did this & it was so quick, & simple to put the cakes on the stand on the day. I dont have a pic, but depending on the stand & your theme, you can decorate as you like. I had ivy threaded around the metal of the stand with a few decorative butterflies & fresh orchids. You could also add ribbon, flowers or just leave the stand plain if you use one.

Asda sell a celebration cake which is a plain, iced cake. Its not showing on their website, but they come in 3 sizes for stacking or putting on a stiand. I think the medium size is only £10, so its cheap enough to buy one & see whats its like before commiting. You might have to pre-order in store, or go to a larger store if you wanted all 3 sized tiers.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

At one time M&S cakes were very popular on here so search for threads for pictures. They used to do special offers across the summer I don't know if they still do. the only comment against was that they are are not as deep but the quality is supposed to be excellent

• M
    Marilyn ·
    • Hide content

I have decorated a lot of supermarket cakes and am told they taste good.

M&S do a wide variety of styles which vary in depth, the basic one is the shallowest and would look very small if its stacked.

I would say don't use traditional pillars with supermarket cakes as they are not alwas even enough to get it to stand straight so hire or buy and re sell one of the metal stands or go for one that is designed to be stacked as they are deeper.

Some of the Waitrose ones come with supports already in so that you can fill the space with flowers

• louise fisher
    Beginner July 2014
    louise fisher ·
    • Hide content

Obviously,you should make sure your florist really can do a good job for decorating your cake.

If not,it is better for you to get one from cake store directly.

Or it may be a time consuming and tricky thing...

• sabina150
    sabina150 ·
    • Hide content

Waitrose and M&S are definitely your best bet.

• L
    Laura Radford Photography ·
    • Hide content

I was going to say Waitrose do lovely and cost effective wedding cakes - you even get a tiny one to take home and taste!!! mmmmmmmm

• H
    Beginner June 2014
    hannahgosney ·
    • Hide content

I tried an M & S sponge cake at a wedding fayre and personally I didn't like it. There wasn't much to it - it all tasted very processed. It reminded me of the cheap birthday cakes you get in Tescos

• F
    Beginner April 2013
    FutureMrsWilliams ·
    • Hide content

I had an M&S cake and it was sooooo good! I can particularly recommend the chocolate sponge - it was amazing and we are going to order a cutting bar just so we can eat it again for no reason Smiley smile . We had a 3 tiered cake with one layer of vanilla sponge and 2 of chocolate. Also had fruit cake cutting bars.

This was ours:

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    ptb13 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice! My florist is very good so I have every faith that they'll make the cake look beautiful. We'll not be going for anything too fussy anyway.

I'll check out M&S and Waitrose and see what they can offer. Thanks!

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    ptb13 ·
    • Hide content

That looks so lovely! Exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see Smiley smile

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a Waitrose cake which was yummy.

I've pretty much decided to go down this route as the prices are good but if I see somthing elsewhere for a similar price I might be persuaded.

• M
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrsdsoon ·
    • Hide content

As a bride to be but also as a cake maker/decorator i can't honestly agree...

Waitrose cakes for 3 tiers cost - £205 or at least that is what the website states.

You should be able to find a good cake maker in your area that would do you a simple wedding cake that your florist could decorate for much less than this, except it will be made with top ingredients, lots of love and much more care.

All my cakes are made with local ingredients and care and made to the bride & grooms requirements. Dont be afraid of cake designers, if you are honest with them about your budget and realistic about what you want they will often be more than willing to help.

I created this 3 tier cake for a bride & groom recently on a tight budget.

Ask around for a reputable cake maker that is easy to approach and you never know Smiley smile

Good luck

Claire x

-

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics