Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

freb2reh
Beginner July 2011

Supermarket wedding cake! any ideas?

freb2reh, 14 April, 2011 at 13:08 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas or experience of a good Supermarket wedding cake? Our budget has become incredibly tight, and this is one of the things I am happy to cut back on. I am not a big cake fan and to be honest I was at a wedding recently that had a beautiful cake but it barely got touched. So, I don't want to throw lot's of money at something which may well go half eaten. Assuming all the guests have a slice I would need approx 40 portions, however I am fairly confidant that they won't, so could probably drop down to 30 portions. It doesn't need to be multi layered, just one round chocolate cake would be the ideal but i would like it to be tasty - for those that do like cake. I was hoping to have a pavlova originally but our caterers are pretty pricey, so when they do get back with a quote I think it will be a rather inflated price and would love to find an alternative option. Any suggestions ideas welcome.

9 replies

Latest activity by AniaF, 14 April, 2011 at 14:08
  • Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

No supermarket suggestions Im afraid because I never buy stuff like that, would prefer to make it, do you hve any friends or rellies that could rustle you something up? Pavlovas are pretty easy to do so surely you could find someon to make you one? You can buy the meringues made or they are not difficult to make either, jamie oliver has a fab recipe

• Gothic_Bride2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Gothic_Bride2011 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting ours from M&S - they have a pretty good range on the website xx

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

WSS - M&S cakes look good x

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I am all about the cake so will not be of any help whatsoever - the cake is the thing I look forward to seeing most at a wedding, after the bride's dress of course ?

But I believe Waitrose do some wonderful wedding cakes.

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Naboo. I know what you mean but my cake baking skills are pretty pants to be honest. i am capable of making a Pavlova but my problem is preparing it freshly on the day and getting it to the venue. All my guests are from far afield and won't be arriving until the afternoon of the wedding and are staying in a Hotel (so no access to a kitchen) - it's a 5.15 ceremony. So, feeling slightly scuppered. Thankyou for your ideas though. I could make the pavlova myself and leave it to OH to decorate (he will be staying at our home), just not sure what the end result would look like?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We got ours from M&S, 3 tiers, plain sponge for £75.

Waitrose do cakes but they are a bit more expensive.

If you don't mind fruit cake, Tesco and ASDA both do them.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

WTS. M&S do lovely wedding cakes (that taste good too!) for very reasonable prices.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Ah, sounds like that could be difficult then! Do you have like a wedding planner type at the hotel? could you give them all the component parts and ask them to assemble? Although a supermarket cake sounds like much less hassle tbh!! where abouts are you from? local hitchers might be able to suggest local bakerys that will do a reasonable cake too!?!

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

The wedding is on board a ship in Portsmouth. I could possibly ask the caterers but unsure as to whether they would cooperate! However if anyone is aware of a Baker who would maybe do the Pavlova (as that is my real preferance cake wise) I would be very grateful to know. Thanks Naboo.

• A
    Beginner
    AniaF ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding wher there was a tesco wedding cake, and I thought it tasted great. I don't have fancy tastes in food though, I like things quite plain so I might not be the best judge. I looked at M&S cakes myself and I thought they were a bit large for what I wanted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics