Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

judeclarke
Beginner October 2011

Superstitions? Rubbish...

judeclarke, 6 August, 2010 at 14:21 Posted on Planning 0 13

Am I the only person in the world who thinks wedding superstitions are a load of old nonsense?

I told my friend I was having a red wedding dress - she tutted and sucked air and said 'it's bad luck you know...'. I told her I don't believe in superstitions, and it's true, I don't. I put up umbrellers in my house, leave new shoes on the table and walk under ladders all the time - and I'm still here!

Ironically my mum, who is one of the worst I know for being superstitious, is supporting me in my 'throwing the rulebook away'. We're having the most untraditional wedding we can, ignoring convention and superstition, and doing what we want not what other people think we should do.

What other wedding superstitions are you sticking your fingers up at? Or are you 'sticking to the rules' just in case?

13 replies

Latest activity by rebecca2286, 6 August, 2010 at 17:57
  • 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I got married on April 1st the first time.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I will spending the night before the wedding with my OH and we will have breakfast together before going to different rooms to get ready. This is only because i want the first time he sees me in my dress to be when i walk in as he thinks he knows exactly what it is like and is 100% wrong.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Good on you xxxx

love the red wedding dresses!! I'm getting married in a handmade Cadbury Purple one..can't wait.!!

I do "greet" magpies..!! but rest of it don't pay any attention x

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Oooo also not something old etc for me, also not wearing a veil and i wont be throwing my bouquet (as we are going to go and lay it where my aunt's ashes were scattered after we are married). Have just had to look up what superstitions etc there are as have not relaly thought of either keeping them or breaking them but instead have just planned what i want regardless.

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I am quite superstitious but I think it's mainly due to have being brought up with things like not putting new shoes on a table, not doing clothes washing on New Years day etc.

I'm not having a veil, not throwing my bouquet as it's going on my grandfathers grave, not havinga father/daughter dance, not having a lucky sixpence in my shoe, not walking down the aisle first ahead of my BM's/PB's x

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Not at all superstitious - we are having peacock feathers which is dreadful bad luck at a wedding aparently, but hey we like them so what!! lol

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, well we're screwed then! There are actual live peacocks at our venue!! They're covered in peacock feathers.....lol!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ha ha that really made me laugh

• JellySweets
    Beginner September 2011
    JellySweets ·
    • Hide content

I cant say im over superaticious, i'll be spending the night before my wedding with my h2b and probably half of the day up until we need to go get ready. I dont want him to see my dress before we marry and he doesnt want to see it either, i wont be throwing my bouquet either.

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

I will be spending the night before the wedding without my h2b and also will probably try and do the whole something old something new, but it won't be the end of the world for me if i don't have everything.

I don't understand the whole new shoes on a table thing either. What is that all about? My h2b goes mad if i do it and i say to him what on earth could possibly happen because i have put new shoes on the table?

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I spent the night before my wedding with my OH, Had breakfast with him and our parents then split off to get ready.

I also wore pearls, which apparently is bad luck as it symbolises tears?

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

WHAT??!!! So, i have peacocks......AND pearls both on my dress, shoes and planned to wear a pearl necklace!! Oh dear! lol!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics