Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laura
Beginner April 2024 North Yorkshire

Supplements

Laura, 7 of June of 2022 at 06:29 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone.

With our wedding package we get only one main course option, prior to paying the deposit and booking the date I confirmed with the venue that they would offer two main course options which I would pre order by a set deadline. At this point they said it was no issue and more of a faff for me. Now they want £12 supplement, I am assuming per head.... can anyone help with a way around this or any suggestions? I really begrudge handing over £1200 when the options are from the same menu list and will be ordered in advance.

Thank you

Laura x

4 replies

Latest activity by Laura, 17 of July of 2022 at 09:56
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    It does seem a bit cheeky if it has not been mentioned before. And did you get anything in writing? I ask that as when we booked with our venue in Jan 2021 for a July 2022 wedding, we were given prices for room hire and when it came to this year and our first meeting with the venue, the prices had gone up and the guy we booked with had left! Luckily I had emails and the venue honoured the lower prices we were quoted all those months ago.
    We don’t have a choice of menu, there will only be one course plus any dietary requirements although they have been very accommodating as my mum and sister wont like the starter and dessert so they are making separate ones.

Why would they say it was more of a faff for you though- that suggests they can’t be bothered! However having to ask all your guests about choices can be time consuming and you will likely have to chase people for late responses. I would have a face to face meeting with the venue and get it down in writing if you think you agreed something and they are going back on it. Good luck
  • Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for your reply.

I think it's another example of it being a license to print money isn't it.
    I didn't get it in writing as it was a face to face meeting but the wedding planner went away with my queries and came back saying that. Either way they have to feed 100 people so what difference does it make whether it is 50 chicken and 50 beef....
    I hate the word supplement x
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

We had the same and the reason for the supplement is more about staff costs, as they would need another chef to prep different meals and the service would be different to just serving the same thing and also, some items are cheaper/more expensive so if you chose chicken for example this is cheaper than say beef so overall they take a loss on some items but the cost evens out on the cheaper one. but £12 seems high, ours was £5 a head and we had 3 options for each course to choose from and we then had to give final choices 2 weeks before, so they could ensure they could order the food, but again there is cost associated with ordering different items, so I do see why they heed to charge more. If it is not explicitly in the contract you can have options then you wont have a legal recourse, but if it was verbally discussed then you could try and negotiate them on the price, is always worth an ask. If you cannot agree a cheaper fee or don't have the budget to, so need to stick to the one option choose something that wont be controversial, we went to a wedding where Salmon was the main course and half the guests didn't eat it. i know is boring, but Chicken is a safe option as most people will eat it.

• Laura
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what they said to me, about the staffing. I have decided not to go for the two options and to spend the £1200+ that it would cost on things I want instead. It totally is a license to print money when you say the work wedding isn't it - good thing I love a good party and am willing to pay :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics