Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner June 2012

Suppliers not turning up on the day?

Jlo84, 14 of July of 2011 at 22:23 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all, One of my main concerns is the suppliers not turning up on the day. I have looked through all of the wedding insurers recommended my Hitched but none seem to cover this. Is anyone else worried about this or am I being silly?? Jenna x

9 replies

Latest activity by Jason Clark DJ, 15 of July of 2011 at 22:17
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'm not, we've done our research, met them, organised meetings etc to make sure they deliver and can execute themselves on a timely basis etc.

I believe our insurer does cover this, although as I said, It's not our main concern/reason for booking the insurance so i've not delved into the T&Cs - it's Voyager dreamsaver.

• J
    Beginner June 2012
    Jlo84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi I have just look through the one you are with and they don't seem to either. They all cover financial loss of a supplier which is bankruptcy or liquidation but not failure to show up :-(

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Which suppliers are you especially concerned about? And what exactly do you want covered? Eg: They aren't going to cover me to have my whole wedding again because my cake lady doesn't show, but might do for our TOG for example.

We are covered for photography:

"You are covered up to the amount stated in the Benefits Schedule to reimburse You for unforeseen expenses necessarily incurred to take/re-take Wedding photographs or videos or refund any non-recoverable amount which You originally contracted to pay as a direct and necessary consequence of
    a. non-appearance for any reason of the professional photographer or professional video operator contracted for the Wedding"

And transport

"You are covered up to the amount stated in the Benefits Schedule to reimburse You for unforeseen additional costs to arrange alternative transport if the private hire firm or individual with whom the transport arrangements have been made fails to meet its/their contractual obligation(s) following non-appearance, breakdown or accident. Cover under this Section commences from the date the premium is paid, and applies until completion of Wedding and Reception or a claim being made under this Section of the policy, whichever occurs first."

The only other issue we may have is cake lady/florist which TBH, if they didn't show, I could cope with (I wouldn't like it, but it wouldn't ruin my day).

Reception venue can't go anywhere, and our DJ/chair covers etc are all supplied by the venue.

In addition, you could try and negotiate into the written T&Cs you have with each supplier.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

If you are nervous about it all make a list of the companies you have booked and a week before hand just give them a quick call. All you need to check is confirmation and to make sure everything is still on track.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Jlo84...you're perfectly normal!

A lot of what I do is to put the brides mind at rest such as phone calls the week of the wedding, text the day before etc. I see it as perfectly normal to worry about these things as it is the most important day of your life. Thats why its essential to meet up and have total confidence in each of your suppliers.

I can only talk in terms of DJs.... but when you have a meeting with your DJ, ask them what their contingency plan is if something untoward happens and they can't make it (and don't accept that nothing will go wrong because they've never not made it before as none of us know whats round the corner). My backup plan has already been tested. I got caught up in the ash cloud. I had a booking that Saturday and was struggling to get back. I had a replacement ready to stand in.... but after a manic drive in a hire car, a ferry crossing and hugely expensive taxi ride...I made it.

Now....unfortunately there are some DJs that do let people down. To ensure against this .... choose wisely. Look for professionalism. Always insist on a contract. If correspondance is poor...drop them like a hot brick. Keep in dialogue with them...have a meeting, speak to them by phone or text on the lead up to the wedding.

A lot of DJs are members of organisations. This means that they are part of a network which will support them. All the organisations understand the importance of not letting a client down so pull out the stops if something major happens.

Hotels supplying a DJ..... something you might not know.... most hotels sub contract out and they don't actually employ the DJ. Hence, they say they supply the DJ, but they have to book one just like everyone else. They often have one they use regularly....but if he's unavailable.... they ring round and get any odd bod to fill the slot. Here's an example.... I had a phone call from a hotel who had actually forgotten to book the DJ for that night. It was 8 in the evening, could I get there quickly....and could I apologise and say it was my fault because I got caught in traffic.

Hope that wee ramble helps.

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    Sara-Jane ·
    • Hide content

No! I am concerned about this too! Not just dodgy companies but what if (heaven forbid) something happens to one of the suppliers on the way to the venue even flat tier, something thats out of there control - I have gone through my list and have back ups for each thing. Like our band not turning up! we have put together a play list on our i pod which we will bring for emergencies, Hubby to be has a good camera he has just invested so we will bring that and get some one to take pics if the photographer doesn't turn up - I am bring my curling tongs and make up to the hotel incase hairdresser or make up artist don't turn up.... well you get the pic anyway I am prepared for the worst! Smiley surprise) makes me feel better, even if I am a freak!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I worry about this too. Luckily I am in charge of the cake, make-up, hair, decorating the venue, etc (I'm a tiny bit of a control freak) so I know none of that can go wrong. With everything else I have organised a back-up plan in case something goes wrong: if the tog can't come there is a back-up they can call; if the band can't come the dj will start earlier; if the dj can't come then he has a back-up to fill in for him.

It really helps if you know exactly what would happen if someone couldn't turn up. But remember its very unlikely!

• B
    Bev Downie ·
    • Hide content

I really wouldn't worry about this if you have done your research and booked reputable suppliers. The vast majority would bust a gut to be there for your wedding and would have a backup in place should anything go wrong. I was stuck on the M1 on my way to a wedding last week as it was closed due to an accident, a two hour journey took me five hours. As it was I had left enough time but while I was travelling I had arranged for another photographer on standby to get to the venue if I needed them.

If you have anything unusual, it is worth making sure they have a plan. A recent wedding in central London had booked a horse and carriage and the company didn't figure out in advance where to park and unload the horse. They didn't show up at all but the clients will be entitled to a full refund and possibly compensation as the company had not used any initiative to work out a plan in advance.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I looked through our insurance specifically for that and mine does cover it. It's with E&L, tier 2 at £33.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

There are a few sides to this;

1. Supplier not turning up because they are unprofessional.

As with many DJ's, I do get the odd call from people who have been let down by their DJ. The common factor is lack of paperwork, contact details, and often a very low rate.

Sometimes, I've managed to help them out - either personally, or by calling providing a list of good DJs in my area.

If you've met the photographer and viewed the venue, try and treat other suppliers the same way - so florists/caterers and entertainment.

2. Supplier not turning up due to unforseen circumstances.

This can also be due to being unprofessional. I know other DJ's in the area. If I was a band/florist etc, I'd make sure I also knew my fellow business owners.

If something serious happens, that means I would be unable to attend (Sandys ash cloud is a very good example), then asking another business to step in should be the next step.

This would be at my own cost (so if they required a higher fee, then I would need to pay this, losing money on the night).

My advice, keep in regular contact with your suppliers. Ensure you have a booking confirmation (email or paper), and ensure you have contact leading up to the big day.

If you're paying well below the market rate for a service - find out why (the supplier could be new, or looking to create a portfolio etc). These are valid reasons, but if they are simply offering a very low price to get work, then would they honour existing bookings if they get a higher paying enquiry?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics