Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2013

Supplier's website has disappeared!! STRESSED

LC to be, 24 of September of 2012 at 12:24 Posted on Planning 0 35

Well I went to send my wedding venue decorator an email today to confirm some information (we were meant to meet to run through where I wanted everything) and the email bounced back.

Their website has also been closed and they're not answering their phone.

I'm very worried now that we've paid them a deposit and now they've just disappeared. We have got wedding insurance but it's prob not worth claiming after take off excess from the deposit.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone on here has also used them or know where they have vanished to? The last email I had off them was mid August

I'm not sure if we're allowed to name names on here - if we're not I'll delete this post, but am very nervous I will now be left without any chair covers or drapes.

They're called Wow Venue Styling and were based in Pontypridd, South Wales

35 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 17 of July of 2021 at 12:59
  • HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Eeek, that doesn't sound very good. I hope they've not done a runner...

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

It may seem obvious, so sorry if you have already tried, but do they have any social network pages- Facebook, Twitter etc?

If so, have you checked those out and tried to contact via Direct messaging on there?

Also check and see if they are listed on other sites like hitched, local directories. Usually you can message through those too.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Sometimes these things can be genuine and they may just be swapping web hosts etc. We've had website and email down in the past when we swapped over & updated, but we did keep our Facebook page up to date and let everyone know this would happen a week or so in advance. Check it out and let us know how you get on

x

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Really sorry to hear about your stress. I did a quick Google search and found this:

http://www.weddingsuncovered.co.uk/reviewview.asp?CategoryID=20&CompanyID=552

Obviously they may have loads of happy customers too who don't go to the effort of posting reviews... but this doesn't look too good.

Let us know how you get on.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

Yeh, they're Facebook and Twitter accounts have closed.

Based on what kingfisher1923 has found, maybe this isn't first time they've 'disappeared' and set up a new company.

Before I booked them looked on that weddingsuncovered website and they had a 5* review under WOW venue styling...maybe was a fake review.

☹️

• misselle
    Beginner July 2013
    misselle ·
    • Hide content

LC maybe contact your local trading standards about them and see if they have had any dealings with them? I think they may have heard of them if they have done it before to brides.

It always makes me sick to hear this sort of story and I feel horrid for any brides having to go through this. I suppose the only good you can take from it is, that you have only paid the deposit and have found out now rather than when they don't turn up on the wedding day after you have paid the full amount.

Do you have the address they are supposedly trading out of? Maybe call the police as to be honest they have taken your money under false pretenses. It sounds like they have done it to many other brides. If they have taken money with no intention of supplying the service then its fraud and the police should be taking action.

If you do manage to get hold of them i'd demand a cash refund and not a cheque to ensure it doesn't bounce.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those reviews are terrible. I don't know how you could live with yourself knowing you've ruined, or potentially ruined someones wedding Smiley sad

I hope you manage to get this sorted out OP and haven't spent too much money with them so far.

The wedding industry really needs to be regulated properly to help stop this kind of thing happening

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

On that Weddings Uncovered link there is a message from the supplier saying that Wow and SimplyCharming events aren't the same company, so take those with a pinch of salt.

I don't know if it's any good, but it might be worth emailing the administrators of the website - ***************.***@****************.*** to ask if the company has gone bust. They won't be able to help you any more than that, I shouldn't imagine, but they may be able to confirm either way. Unfortunately there are no other contact details in the registration details of the website so that doesn't help.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

Don't waste time, honey. Call the police and trading standards and deal with someone with a well known reputation. Don't let it ruin your day.

• K
    Beginner November 2012
    Kerryd1175 ·
    • Hide content

Hi just a thought but did you pay on a credit card? I had a similar problem (non wedding related matter) and I just rang the credit card company, explained the company had 'disappeared' and they said they would chase them for it and reimbursed me more or less immediately... Worth a try maybe...

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content

Hi LC To Be

I'm sorry to hear what has happened, it is really annoying that people can do this - you're planning the happiest day of your life and they take advantage.

I do have some information on the company:

It was set up by Kristi Jane Baker and Lloyd Paul Baker in 2010 - the address used is the one shown on weddingsuncovered.

The Agent that set the business up is called "Companies Made Cimple Ltd", 145-157 St John Street, London - they may still exist...?

In November 2010 two more Directors were appointed - Richard Jones and Angela Jones, the address listed for them is Unit 2 Business Park, Bristol, BS16 1EJ

In December 2011 they applied to get the business struck off. The application has been rejected, I'm not sure why, normally it is because a business owes money to a creditor.

You can report them to Trading Standard and Companies House (quoting their company registration number of ****)

Kerryd1175 is right re credit card, it is certainly worth a try.

I hope you manage to get things sorted. more importantly I hope you can get back to planning your wedding day extravaganza xxx

ps, pologies for spelling, I'm in a rush! x

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

Wow good investigation Ampy, thanks!!

• Polkadots_and_Pincurls
    Beginner June 2015
    Polkadots_and_Pincurls ·
    • Hide content

Hey hunni, just so you know I just searched her, and Kirsti Baker (married to Lloyd Baker, living in Wales, her profile pic is of two kids) is on facebook. I wouldn't advise you to 'friend' her as she may get suspicious and disappear, but keep an eye on her and let the police know? HTH, I'm so sorry this is happening to you, it's disgusting. xxx

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks lol

I can't imagine how upset you were (are). Hopefully they will get what is coming to them.

xx

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Deleted

• I
    info@everything-covered.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Oh really sorry I wasn't aware, I thought as I had an account on here it was allowed. Apologies!

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    may2012bride ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We used Wow Venue Styling for our wedding in May. We booked through Simply Charming Events originally but got a letter out of the blue to say that Wow Venue Styling had taken over the booking. They wouldn't tell me why the original company couldn't do it anymore and I was very worried. They did turn up and did a good job of the chair covers in the end though - it was a youngish man that came to do them. I have an address in Bridgend for them where I sent my final balance too if that is any help?

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You also need to change your user name unless you register as a supplier please

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

I hope you get in touch with someone who can help

• TheCakeNinja
    TheCakeNinja ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I had a bride in last week that was originally booked with them and was unhappy with the Service and price so came to us. I havent heard that theyve closed/gone bust etc but I will ask for you.

Andrea

• TheCakeNinja
    TheCakeNinja ·
    • Hide content

I have just spoken to my husband who took a booking with a lady that was booked with them for an October date and they didnt turn up at the venue for a meeting and havent returned emails or answered the phone so it seems they are taking deposits still ?

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    shell3896 ·
    • Hide content

Hi LC, sorry to tell you this but they are robbing little *****. They have done the exact same to me, what you need to do is contact CAB and Trading standards and log your enqiery, then you need to write a letter to them stating they have 14 days to refund your money or you are taking them to court. I have sent my letter to them. They have alot of court orders against them and they owe a hell of alot of money out. Write the letter but make sure you send it by recorded delivery and have a copy of the letter for yourself. Sorry to hear they have done the same to you as they did to me, hope you have found someone else who can do your decor.

P.S- I have a number which rings, you could try use that, they tried fobbing me off saying they wasnt wow but when it went to voicemail it clearly says they are. let me know if you want it.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

Hi shell, sorry you're in the same situation as me! I will definately do that! I hope they don't just change their name and do this again to other people, as it seems from other posts that they have done this before!

If I could have the no that would be great!

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    shell3896 ·
    • Hide content

No problem i will email to you now, let us no how u get on.

• Sarah-March-2013
    Beginner March 2013
    Sarah-March-2013 ·
    • Hide content

Wow thats shocking! Hope u get it sorted soon x

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    shell3896 ·
    • Hide content

Hi LC did you have any luck with that number i gave you?

• C
    cat@maiwillowevents.com ·
    • Hide content

Hi

So sorry to hear you're having such a bad time with this company; we were in touch with them a couple of years ago as we were going to buy a franchise off them!! We decided to go it ourselves in the end and it seems we had a lucky escape!! So glad my name isn't associated with such awful service.

Not sure it it'll be helpful or not, but when i was in touch with them, the number I had for Kirsti was ****- worth a try if you haven't already!

Hope anyone associated with them manages to get themselves sorted; and good luck for your special days!!

Cat (Maiwillow Events) xx

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    shell3896 ·
    • Hide content

Hi. thanks for the reply. no the number doesnt work. they keep changing numbers so people cant get hold of them. i was lucky to find a company who could do the decs after what WOW did. hope everyone else can. they actually havent gone bust yetm court has refused until they pay of there debts

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

The best solution if you owe debt is to go bankrupt, not steal.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    LC to be ·
    • Hide content

I've found someone who can do the decor instead for us now ? - we were tempted to go with them initially but went with WOW as they were cheaper. Shame we didn't just go with them in the start. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Are you sure they haven't gone bankrupt or into liquidation? Does anyone know how to find out this info?

I still want my deposit back and insurance will only pay out if I can prove they have gone bankrupt or into liquidation.

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    shell3896 ·
    • Hide content

Hi LC

They haven't officially gone bankrupt or into liquidation. The applied to be struck off, which basically means close as a company, but because they have so many debts and outstanding court orders it got rejected. They have been taking people's money to pay off people. Did you use that number i passed you?

I contacted the police, bank, CAB, u name it i have contacted them and the only way you will get your money back is too wait after your wedding day to send them a letter basically saying i paid you a deposit and you failed to get into contact with me (have proof you tried to contact them) or provide any decor at the wedding. Therefore i am writing this letter in order to give you 14 days for the date of this letter to refund my money or i shall be taking you to the small claims court. I have so much info on them its unreal so if you need any just let me know.

Btw when you send the letter make sure you send it on the day you write it as if you send them a letter with the 14th on and they dont get it till the 21st you have to give them another 14 days. Make sure you send it first class recorded as well. All i did was write the letter at the night time and put the following days date on. Include a return address and phone number in case they do actually get in contact with you.

Hope this help.

• M
    Beginner November 2012
    moonhare ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, this has happened to me too. 16 days til my wedding and they have disappeared with all my money and I don't have the time/money to find replacements :-( So upset right now. Shell3896 can you email me/private message me on here with any details you have please?x

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

There is also another company with a similar name that may be linked as there are a number of Brides on FB looking for them too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics