Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner September 2015

Surname announcement?

illumine, 16 of March of 2015 at 17:27 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm planning to keep my last name (though I'm not sure if we will both hyphenate), I was just wondering for those of you that haven't automatically taken your partner's name, did you announce it prior to the actual wedding? I know a lot of people use the bride and groom's entrance at the reception as an opportunity to indicate the surname situation but I'm currently working on the design of our invitations and just wondered if I'm meant to give some indication on the extra information card that we'll be having? So far it is only really my immediate family that know I want to keep my name and they have known for years so it really isn't common knowledge. Or is it as simple as just spreading the word informally amongst guests?

Not sure if I'm overthinking it but I'm the only person I know of that hasn't changed their name upon marriage so have no idea how to go about letting people know!

8 replies

Latest activity by LittleMissPanda, 18 of March of 2015 at 13:42
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I've never announced it as such, but it's pretty well known in our families now.

I've had the some what inevitable "not long now until you're mrs *surname*" comments, and each time someones said it, i've just said that actually, i'm keeping my own name.

By the time it came to invitations going out for us, everyone knew really, but I still put a reminder on our wedding website just in case people were wondering for cards/gifts. It just said something like "please note that we will remain as Sam *surname* and Louise *surname* after the wedding as Louise will be keeping her name"

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Well, we didn't have an entry announcement type situation but the minister did include a "I give to you the new Mr and Mrs" line in his standard ceremony. He was very clear that we could exclude or change bits to suit us (I also requested the " who gives this woman" part to be left out as I didn't want to be given away), so I just mentioned to him that my H was taking my name so that was how we'd like to be referred to. People will soon get the message - you really don't need to put stuff like that on invitations. Two of my H's friends referred to me as "Mrs [his old surname]" on Facebook shortly after the wedding (before he had signed the deed poll to take my name), and we soon put them right! Smiley smile

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I don't feel the need to explain it to anyone, it's our right to keep our names so if anyone assumes I am taking my husband's name then they will just have to feel slightly foolish when they realise they assumed incorrectly. We are being announced into the reception room as 'the bride and groom.'

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I think so Smiley smile I don't think I know anyone else IRL who's done it. A few people seemed quite surprised, but all positive. We decided we'd do it that way round pretty much as soon as we got engaged, and it's one of the things I was most excited about!

• S
    Beginner November 2015
    sarah_1983 ·
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are going double-barrelled. Do we have to do anything other than inform the minister? Does my fella need to change his by deed pole? Many thanks!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with I Go By Many Names. I do not see why this would be touched upon in the invitations or information.

I kept my surname, and I only had one person ask me about it.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

My OH is going to take my name, we've asked if we can be introduced to our guests as "The new Mr & Mrs T" so that everyone knows.
    The only people that know at the moment are my parents, and they only know because OH asked my dad if it would be ok

I wouldn't worry about including it on the invites, we didn't. People will soon realise Smiley smile

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics