Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Savvy November 2021 Lancashire

Surname help!

Jess, 16 of October of 2021 at 18:26 Posted on Planning 0 4
Hello! I have decided I don’t want to take my oh surname for several reasons but he isn’t sure over taking mine. He has admitted he prefers my surname but I think he’s concerned over what his family will say . He doesn’t like the idea of a double barrel name either but I don’t want to forced Into taking his name because it’s a tradition!

4 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 17 of October of 2021 at 13:04
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

"He has admitted he prefers my surname but I think he’s concerned over what his family will say"

So taking your name works best for you and for him, but he doesn't want to do it because of what his family might say.

Is he planning on making other decisions based on 'what his family might say' in future? You need to have a serious conversation about this right now - I've seen way too many couples end up going through all kinds of stress because one of them was letting their parents control decisions that should only be made by the couple. You don't want to end up being pressured to make certain choices about where you live or when you start a family based on what his parents want!

• J
    Savvy November 2021 Lancashire
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely! I didn’t think of it that way but you’re right , we need to start making decisions together based on what we want together ! I understand he’d like me to have his name as it’s his family name but he understands my reasoning to not wanting to take it .
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    I think in 2021 it is perfectly acceptable for you to keep your own name. You don’t have to stick with tradition at all! I don’t think it’ll matter if you both have different surnames. I have a couple of friends who kept their own surname and their husbands didn’t change theirs either.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Is your choice, as long as you are comfortable with your decision it is no one else's business. Why should 8t be the qone takes the name anyway? Friends did it where he took her name, his family were annoyed as he was the only male left so meant their family name wouldn't continue if they had a son. They went on to have 4 girls so was kind of apt anyway! You do you x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics