Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2017

Surprise Wedding for the Groom...

HappyIvoryDiamonds414, 18 of October of 2016 at 15:28 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,

This may be an absolutely insane idea, and it may not work from what I have seen in regards to giving notice of marriage (requires both of us to be involved, not just a form filling out haha), but does anyone know if it would be at all possible to arrange a surprise wedding for my groom?

We've been planning our wedding for what seems like ages (only a year, with no venue booked yet, but we're about to put a deposit down, woohoo!) and we keep hitting roadblocks, mostly financially. I know that he wants to get married so much, and doesn't even care where or how... It's me who's being picky. I wanted to arrange something for him and totally blow him away, but I don't think it's possible! I'm not quite ready to give up on the idea though..

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. I have researched this but wanted some advice from fellow brides and grooms! Is it possible?!

Thanks for any help you can give Smiley smile

5 replies

Latest activity by Lapland2015, 25 of October of 2016 at 13:27
  • A
    Beginner November 2016
    Annaangeluk2016 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

It sounds like a nice idea but I'd imagine it wouldn't be possible. When we gave notice we both had to be there, with ID and were interviewed separately to give details.

Maybe tell him about it so he can give notice with you but then tell him you'll sort the rest of the details etc! In fact you can book the date, venue etc without his knowledge and then you have to give notice a min of 28 days before the wedding so you could tell him then!

Good luck!

Anna xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree that you could book everything as a surprise but you would have to tell him a month before so he can give notice with you. Unless you plan to elope I had imagine it would be hard to invite people who would need to keep it quiet from him so I wouldn't invite anyone until he knows and gives notice.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

You'd need to give notice with ID etc so it's not possible for it to be a complete surprise, but I think it's a lovely idea!

You could arrange everything and send him an invitation to his own Wedding (like they do on Don't tell the bride) and then take him to give notice Smiley smile

That way it's MOSTLY a surprise still Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

That's such a lovely idea!

If you really want to keep it a surprise, is there any way you could arrange to have something like a humanist ceremony that wouldn't involve the legal bit and then go to the registry office later? Like the others have said, if you want to get married legally I don't think you will be able to keep it a complete surprise as you both have to give notice x

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

You could give notice, so he'd know the date but maybe he wouldn't need to know the ceremony? I'd speak to your registry office and see what they advise. It sounds like an amazing idea!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

When I first joined there was a bride that did this. I think she did say it was a surprise so he knew it was happening and could give enough detail for the notice of marriage and I think it went down really well. My oh would feel he had been left out though as he really enjoyed being involved in ours so I would take the approach of suggesting you organise one with him just giving notice maybe and see what he says

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics