Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becklarrr
Beginner

Sushi

Becklarrr, 18 December, 2012 at 13:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 28

We have just had a Yo! Sushi bar open up in our town and I am really keen to go and try it! I've never really tried sushi so don't know what it is like. What are people's opinions on here? I like all fish.

28 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 18 December, 2012 at 18:43
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Never been to a Yo Sushi but I love sushi. we have a lovely japense near us, I think I shall go for my burfday in Jan yumyumyum!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Repulsive stuff.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

Filth!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Bleurgh!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I like sushi and have only been to Yo Sushi once but did enjoy it. That said I think it gets called the 'Macdonalds of the sushi world' by a few people!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Some of it's alright.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

The word 'sushi' refers to the rice part. Sushi made with vegetables is lovely, one of my favourites things to eat. Oh, and don't forget to add a liberal helping of wasabi to your sushi pieces, more is better...Smiley winking

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I thought it would be great and figured I would like it because I like white fish (cod/haddock), salmon and tune, but it's really yucky. It just tastes like a fishmongers smells. I just ate lots of cheesecake instead Smiley smile

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I love sushi! My favourite food.

Yo! Sushi is very much the McDonalds of the sushi world but a good safe intro if you're new to the cuisine.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

There is a huge difference between Yo! Sushi and 'proper' sushi. Delicious!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WTS love sushi!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I do love sushi, and I like Yo Sushi. In the same way that I love burgers, and I like McDonalds.

Yo Sushi is gimmicky, and it's sushi for the masses. I think it's a fun place to go, and they have lots of veggie options, and options that may be more attractive to sushi novices. If you're looking for some authentic sushi though, it's not the place for you.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

So where do you get authentic sushi from? Do I just make it myself or from an actual Japenese restaraunt?

Is the stuff at Tesco's more authentic?!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Are you serious? Supermarket sushi is rubbish!

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't know where to start in making sushi, I may hunt down a Japenese restaurant & see what it is like, I know OH wants to try it too!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I think Yo Sushi is ok, exepcially for beginners, I love their katsu curry.

Supermarket sushi is horrid.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've made sushi a few times, it's alot of faff to be fair, and rather expensive to buy all the bits.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I do love a good California roll. Yo! Sushi is alright but I think it's quite expensive for what it is. But as someone has already said, it's a good intro to the world of sushi. I always mix a bit of wasabi with soy sauce and the pickled ginger and have that as a dip.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Pret A Manger sushi isn't that bad ....

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

PS Becklarrr, the Bulgarian guy in my Danish class selfishly decided to fly to Bulgaria last week so I wasn't able to ask him for tips! Sorry lady ☹️

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Making your own sushi is bags of fun. We do it at least once a month. H got the bug for it after visiting Japan and taught himself through YouTube videos and the Sushi for Dummies book.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I think Kulu Kulu on Brewer Street is a great low key Japanese place. It's small, seats maybe 20/25 people, round a tiny conveyor belt but excellent food. Cheaper than YS, too. I recommend the aubergine in miso, the soft shell crab hand rolls and the mackerel sashimi is gorgeous. Koya on Frith Street is great but a bit more noodle-y, Roka (Gt Charlotte St) is great but pricey.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if it's just a takeaway or a restaurant too but Sushi 54 in Putney is amazing. Such tasty tempura soft shell crab. YUM.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to go there!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I really like sushi - best one I've been too is a teeny place in NYC where you get free Saki as a lot don't have liquor licenses (so can't sell alcohol, but can give it away)

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Small world! We used to treat ourselves on student loan day each semester and order about £60 worth of sushi between the two of us. Once they sent crab futomaki rolls instead of temaki and when I rang up to tell them, they whizzed the temaki rolls over to us AND let us keep the futomaki at no extra cost. I was a happy as a pig in mud.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan. I love smoked salmon, but the texture and (lack of) flavour of actual raw fish does nothing for me. I also really don't like wasabi, or that rice vinegary stuff which all the rice tastes of, which probably doesn't help.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics