Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner April 2012

Swags, bows and pew ends - and general decor advice

clarabella1972, 27 February, 2012 at 15:39 Posted on Planning 0 8

This is a long one...With 6 weeks to go, I am now paying attention to the details of decorating the venue. I think I would like to make some swags and chair backs to decorate the ceremony room, but don't know how to do them. I'd also like to not have anything too flouncy.

The room is cream walls, with mid-brown wooden floors and mid-brown wood beams / roof joists. I have silver banqueting chairs with dark green pads for the ceremony.

The picture below is of where the ceremony will be held. Where the toys/rocking chairs etc are, will be where the chairs are - facing away from the camera. The grey doors will be removed and OH and I will be standing on the step, with the celebrant between us.

My colours are mainly moss green, with pink highlights (groomsmens ties and in flowers) and lots of white. Vases will all be mismatched and vintagey. The room will also have warm white fairy lights, which I could have behind the swags.

OH's tie:

Groomsmen's tie:

So my questions are:

- how do you make swags? I'm assuming you just drape and tie?

- how do you make some simple decorations for chair backs. Bows seem a bit too girly for my taste.

- What colour organza would you use? Assuming organza is appropriate.

- How would you decorate the doorway / doorway wall for the ceremony. Organza swags with fairy lights?

- How do I tie in (excuse the pun) the pink that the groomsmen have chosen with the rest of the wedding, while still keeping the look simple

Ta muchly!

8 replies

Latest activity by clarabella1972, 5 March, 2012 at 20:47
  • Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, you tube has quite a lot of tutorials......?

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you - I'll take a look. Trouble is, I still don't know what to do to the space, even if I work out how to do it IYKWIM ?

• butterpopcorn
    Beginner April 2013
    butterpopcorn ·
    • Hide content

Hi Clarabella1972, I love the paisley ties - I am having a white and green colour scheme so love the green one, can I ask where it is from?

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

It is a very neutral space but remember it will be filled with chairs as well......

I would def have a large pedestal type arrangement at either side of the doors, or if budget cant stretch, maybe you could hire bay trees and put fairy lights on them and an organza bow draping down from the head of the tree? Then as you said you could make an organza swag with fairy lights over the arch of the door( a full flower arch takes alot of time and flowers to do)

/for the backs of chairs you could take bunches of gypsophelia, wrap the stems in ribbon and tie with a bow or even just finish them with pearl pins(make them like a mini handtied shape)

You can get a 'band and buckle' to decorate chair covers instead of organza so you could have this and then just put small bunches of flowers(or the gyp idea) on the end of the end chairs to form an 'aisle'......

Hope this helps....?

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

• C
    Beginner August 2014
    CraftyBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi Clara, What about if you created an organza drape. This needs to be an inverted V shape up the wall and you will need 3 fixing points. Something like a cup hook is great for this. I would suggest the lights behind and then do the drapes in green with accents of the pink where you tie it, just to give the highlight. Something like this organza would work well. http://www.wedding-workshop.co.uk/catalog/index.php/table-decorations-table-runners-c-3_73

On the same website I also found these. What about if from the side ones you had 2 hearts coming down tied with the pink ribbon for hangers.http://www.wedding-workshop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/hanging-decorations-willow-hearts-other-p-2119 and you could also put these on the back of the 2 chairs at either side of the top of the aisle. Then down the aisle to pick up the pink you could scatter fabric petals http://www.wedding-workshop.co.uk/catalog/index.php/confetti-petals-fabric-petals-c-57_102

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I bought organza off ebay from china or hong kong. Worked out about 50p per length (although a year ago) but they had hundreds of colours to choose from, were about 3m long and could be used as drapes, chair bows/wraps, pew ends etc. Think they were called mysterious orient. If your theme colour is pink/sage green, you could have both colours, or just cream if you wanted it neutral.

What about a decoration from the ceiling?

Rather than bows at the back of the chair, what about this? Or, laying the organza length ways over the chair & down the seat rather than tying it around the top of the chair?

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its from the tie bar (https://www.thetiebar.com/) . They have a great range, and are US based but ship internationally.

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for all your ideas. I've been offline for a few days, but your ideas have given me food for thought!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics