Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jay-Low
Beginner

Swarovski Rings

Jay-Low, 22 October, 2010 at 04:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

After much thought and lots of shopping trips, myself and OH decided to get his sister a lovely Swarovski ring for her 18th Birthday in December. Wanted something she could keep forever but a bit funky rather than a more classic piece jewellery - mainly so that she can get plenty of wear out of it.

Then my MIL2B tells me yesterday that apparently if you wash your hands or put hand cream on when wearing a Swarovski ring it turns your finger green! (A friend of hers told her this).

Anyone got any experience of this? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a piece of jewellery that turns her finger green!!

TIA

BTW it's between these two rings - I know you like a flash!!

5 replies

Latest activity by Jay-Low, 22 October, 2010 at 19:18
  • crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content

Found this, sounds like your mil2b friend might have a reaction to silver, or maybe the soap or handcream increased the acidity (only guessing here ?) if your sis has other silver rings and not had a problems with a reaction reckon it will be fine.

Will silver turn my skin green?

If you have a natural high acidity level in your skin, it is possible for your finger may "turn green". That does not mean that there is a fault with the silver or the manufacture of the silver jewellery. The green is actually caused by oxidisation, and all silver will oxidise. The oxidisation produced is also what gives silver a tarnished look. For people with a higher acidity level, it can stain the finger, giving a dark "green" look.

hth

• LuLu_x
    Beginner May 2012
    LuLu_x ·
    • Hide content

Heylo i bought a swarovski ring in Jan this year and my finger is still normal not even a tinge of green Smiley smile

• Mrs Singleton
    Mrs Singleton ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea about the green but I LOVE the 1st one x

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

The swarovski element is the stones, not the silver, so whatever the 'make' shouldn't make any difference unless silver is a metal she's had a reaction to before?

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I've bought loads of Swarovski jewellery and never had an issue....

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I thought the same - that it can't just be Swarovski rings because how can the silver be different to other rings??!! I think the person in question must have had similar reactions to other silver but my MIL2B assumed it was just the Swarovski brand for some reason. Haven't managed to find anybody else yet who has had "green fingers" from Swarovski rings so I'm just going to go ahead and buy it. Now just have to choose which one!

Thanks again.

X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics