Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WickyWack
Beginner July 2013

Sweden/Norway/Finland/Iceland honeymoon

WickyWack, 17 September, 2012 at 14:34 Posted on Planning 0 14

I've posted this in the honeymoon forum but have not had any luck..

Anyone been to the above or have any advice?

Ta x

14 replies

Latest activity by 2b_MrsB, 18 September, 2012 at 18:22
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

You'll love Iceland, Almost killed me twice but you'll love it.

Just don't go between November and February if you want to travel.

It's like being on another planet. It's half the size of the UK, 300,000 people live there and 95% are in the capital city. You can drive for 40 minutes without seeing a soul.

It's where I go when I want to be completely alone with my thoughts.

You can do the whole Island in a fortnight, something I intend to do myself although you need to book a hotel along the way. You could camp, renting a camper is a nice idea too, then you can just travel and not be limited to the hotel.

It's truly breathtaking and makes you realize just how small you are. Everything is super sized there.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I went to Helsinki (Finland) last year and can honestly say it is the most boring city I have ever had the misfortune of visiting. We only went on a day trip from Tallin (Estonia) and we couldn't wait to get the ferry back to Tallin (which is a beautiful city). A bar we were in was running a deal on pitchers of Pimms at equivalent of just over £30 a jug....if that was a deal I would hate to see what the full price was....I guess the north/Lapland would be more fun/beautiful.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

We went to Iceland last year in October , I wasb't sure what to expect if I'm honest but I loved it !!! They have a laid back approach to life and it rubs of on you when your there and the locals that we met were very friendly with a great sense of humour. As for the scenery is out of this world and truly STUNNING !! It really is out of this world , The vast scale of the place is indescribable ans changes through out the day depending on the light, we arrived and drove past lava fields which were so vast it was like landing on the moon.... waterfalls , geysers , whale watching, glacier trekking ....obviously volcanoes ! and the northern lights (sept to april ish ) ...and not forgetting the blue lagoon ? stop in there until your wrinkly !! lol....and more ......Some tourists excurisions are open at different times of the year due to the weather conditions etc. We were warned it could be quite expensive spending wise but were pleasantly surprised when we got there. We have every intention of returning in the next few years and I can't recommend it enough. ?

Couple of pics ! ( sorry about size !)

• Hide content

If you go to Iceland, buy your booze at the airport on landing.

Get a bit sloshed before going out. Food can be expensive but it's really good, big portions, lovely people.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I echo what everyone has said about Iceland and here's one of my fave piccies!

I had no idea how much I would love it, it was more OHs idea but now I can't wait to go back. We stayed more in the south at an amazing place called Hotel Ranga, and then spent one night in Reykavik which we didn't find too thrilling to be honest, but we didn't actually try to go out much as we had a very early flight. It was an incredible trip.

• Hide content

Cor, Hotel Ranga, you lucky lady. That's dead expensive (That's the one with the themed rooms right)?

Glaciers you can walk up to:

Waterfalls you can stand under:

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    LittleMiss4 ·
    • Hide content

I'm from Sweden and I have been to Sweden (obviously), Finland and Estonia. Unfortunately, I have not been to Norway or Iceland yet but I'd love to go to those places.

To me, Norway, Sweden and Finland are pretty much the same, but if you're looking for nice landscape and wild mountains/fjords, Norway is probably nicer than the other two, whereas Stockholm is the nicest capital city Smiley smile So it depends on what you're interested in.

Like others have said, Iceland is probably the most exciting place to visit and you will get to see lots of things that other countries can't offer. But I also agree that Tallinn, Estonia, is a very charming city if you're looking for something picturesque with nice bars and restaurants.

• Snowby
    Beginner September 2013
    Snowby ·
    • Hide content

I've not been on holiday but have been to both Oslo and Stockholm on work trips. Both were very nice but I'll echo what some of the others have said - VERY expensive for food and drink etc, Oslo especially.

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    LittleMiss4 ·
    • Hide content

I agree! Even for someone living here, it's not nice to think that I could eat out a lot more often if I lived somewhere else... But to some people, it's worth a visit anyway Smiley smile

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Just googled Hotel ranga....looks fabulous ? ....only decision would be which room to have ???

Bit if the budget doesn't stretch to that you could always take yourself off to the natural black sand beaches ( no bikini required ! ?)

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

We are planning our honeymoon to Iceland next Easter - I can't wait. Its more of a "trip of a lifetime" than a relaxing beach holiday.

Been to Stockholm and it was an amazing city so much to do

Enjoy!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I think we did more or less everything Iceland has to offer, except a pony trek (and the ice hotel gracey mentions, I freeze the moment the central heating goes off here!). I would love to go back although I don't know what there is new to try! We saw geysers, went snowmobiling, watched the sunset from the top of a volcano, swam in hot springs, had a relax on the black beach, walked behind a waterfall, visited Pengvellir (yawn but the massive plates fascinated OH).

Yup we were very lucky staying at Hotel Ranga. We got a great deal, but sadly couldn't afford the themed suites! The room we had was enormous and had a hot tub right outside. Nothing like starting your day with a steamy jacuzzi while watching the sunrise (at about 8.30-9am - October) By fluke, the travel company messed up. They included a meal on one of the nights in our package, but failed to tell us we actually had a price limit so we were able to get a free top class meal there when we really should have only had a selection from the cheapest menu! We tried reindeer carpaccio, puffin, some other strange things but everything was delicious. The best was the dessert that it seems is only possible to get in Iceland call skyrr, it was beautiful.

It really is another world there, the landscape is like nothing I had ever seen before, my hubby (bit of an amateur TOG) was overwhelmed! You will have an amazing time there.

A few more pics just because it has got me reminiscing:

Black sand beach

snowmobile sunset

Hot springs

Hilarious rock

• Hide content

Here's a timelapse vid from Vik Beach (From November, so windy the camera blew over)

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZJMiXIJB0E&feature=youtu.be:550:0]

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Chris...thanks for the video , it makes me want to return to Iceland again NOW !!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics