Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner July 2012

Sweet carts....

kittypuss85, 17 of April of 2013 at 13:16 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all,

I may have the opportunity of taking over a sweet cart business, but I was wondering if you all could give me an idea of how popular these are now?

Has the idea passed or are they still a popular addition?

Do people prefer to do these themselves, or hire them out?

Thanks for your help!

Kitty

13 replies

Latest activity by justus, 17 of April of 2013 at 19:02
  • cass_b
    Beginner April 2014
    cass_b ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kitty,

We went to a wedding fayre on Sunday and there was a lady there hiring out sweetie carts, personally even though they look lovely, we have decided to do our own, really as it's a nice thing to do, super easy and in inexpensive to do ourselves. Hope that helps.

• G
    Beginner September 2013
    Gemmy08 ·
    • Hide content

In my opinion, I think they are a great idea. I could not be bothered to go to the effort of making my own, so I hired one, it wasn't that expensive either. I'm sure it's lovely to make your own, but I think there would probably be a lot of people like me who just find it easier to have it done for you. The only thing they have asked me is my colour scheme, and if I would like to suggest different sweets for them, otherwise they will do there own thing.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to be honest I think the idea will soon be moving on to something else. It depends what you are investing in? If its something that you can switch up eg cookie bar/ doughnut bar / popcorn bar etc xx

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

Myself and my Fiancée are going to have our own sweetie table, with the plastic jars from Ikea and a big shop around pound land for the sweets I reckon we can save a bit of money doing it ourselves, although there will be many brides who it leave it to others so they can focus on other things.

I wish you luck with your venture if you decide to take it up.

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content

The current business that I have the opportunity to take over just literally does a traditional sweetie cart, hiring out for weddings either as a cart only option, so people can do their own but have the stand, or as a full package with all the traditional sweets.

I have ideas to offer additional options; just a few examples of

1) popcorn stand - with lots of different flavours of pop corn

2) chocolate indulgence stand - various options of chocolate related items

3) savoury cart - things like crisps / nuts / pretzels

Then I also thought I could hire it out at other events - birthday parties and the like

such as take it to bonfire nights with toffee apples, take it to Halloween events with a themed set of sweets, Christmas parties with Christmas themed sweets.

what do you think?

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

I think your ideas are good Kitty. You've got plenty of imagination so I'm sure you will always be able to come up with something different as trends change. It doesn't have to just be edibles either- just think of it as a mini market stall then you could alter your stock as seasons move on- Christmassy bits, glow sticks etc for concerts/ kids events, pick and mix goodie bags etc. There's certainly plenty of scope there. If it's not a big investment, I'd be tempted to go for it.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you have lots of room for development so as long as its not a big investment I would go for it! Xx

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

This might be an area thing..... but I havent seen a sweetie cart or even a sweetie table in about a year out here in Northern Ireland. I thought they were probably going out of fashion.

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'm doing my own as they're not too difficult to do.

But, the other ideas you have made my tummy grumble and they're not something I would do myself but would think of hiring depending on price Smiley smile

There are so many ideas you can add to it and like you said it doesn't have to be just weddings Smiley smile

Good luck! X

• G
    Beginner September 2013
    Gemmy08 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry sandy I cant agree. I'm from Belfast. I originally saw he Sweetie cart idea when they were at my venues open day. It put the idea in my head nut I didnt book there and then. I then saw another one at the wedding fair at Kings hall in October, and then again I saw another one at the wedding fair in titanic building at the start of this year which I then booked. My friend who got married in August had o e an again another friend in march. I'd say they are quite popular here too

• mandunc14
    Beginner July 2014
    mandunc14 ·
    • Hide content

Personally Id prefer to do own as well, but there are certainly a lot of people who don't like going the DYI route. I think as long as you are flexible and can do other stuff as well, its a safe bet.

Doughnuts are becoming very popular here in Canada. Ive also seen hot dogs!, cotton candy, ice cream sundaes,etc

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    maz80 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all i saw one of the sweet carts at a wedding fair local to me and i think its great to have my 8 year old daughter said mummy i can give out sweeties

she thinks its brillent and i told my mum they have all the old sweets flying saucers etc so shhould go down well with the guests too i hope to have one at our wedding

• J
    Beginner September 2014
    justus ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I like the idea of sweet carts, however you will need to stay unique and come up with ideas in order to keep it going as people now do their own sweet tables as a replacement. you need to think why they would want you with your sweet cart to come along. as its not so unique now.

Maybe look at different themes in sweets and chocolates and colour themes too, this might help you stand out.

All the best

• J
    Beginner September 2014
    justus ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I like the idea of sweet carts, however you will need to stay unique and come up with ideas in order to keep it going as people now do their own sweet tables as a replacement. you need to think why they would want you with your sweet cart to come along. as its not so unique now.

Maybe look at different themes in sweets and chocolates and colour themes too, this might help you stand out.

All the best

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics