Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Runnergirl
Beginner November 2015

Sweet tables?

Runnergirl, 30 of August of 2015 at 12:27 Posted on Planning 0 57

Don't shoot me if you're planning on one or had one but I'm trying to see the point of them? Is this another American fad making its way over here like save the date cards? (Another money making pointless thing (IMO) what's next? Cocktail hour, ten groomsmen and bridesmaids to match?

Has the world gone slightly mad? Isn't just even more pressure on an already expensive time?

Just wondering, always good to have a bit of debate!

57 replies

Latest activity by Bobbys_Girl, 5 of September of 2015 at 22:44
  • K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

Do you mean sweets as in jars of sweets?

We had several sweet jars out in the evening as there were quite a lot of kids there. It went down well with adults too!

To be honest it only cost about £40-£50 and it was worth it.

I agree there seems to be a lot of pressure on the perfect wedding. We kept ours very simple and didn't feel the need to compete with or live up to anyone else's wedding. ?

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure how it has come about (we've been to two weddings where there were sweetie buffets) but they really work and guests love them!

We love sweets and so do lots of our friends and family so we are definitely having one. I am going to DIY it though so it shouldn't cost too much. I am also considering using it as my favours as I think that favours are pointless. I am also considering having a popcorn bar as I love popcorn and I think it will be good for the late night munchies and inexpensive.

Another trend is photo booths. They have suddenly popped up. I also love them and we are going to have one as it is a nice reminder for people to take away with them x

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

I was at a wedding recently who had a sweet table. It was all the children using it, most of the the children there were overweight, I'd say at least 40% were obese for their age. Eating sweeties after full Neal, drinks all day - full sugar coke etc, to me is a recipe for disaster with children? Adults can make to her own mind up but I'm sure ( well my friends anywAy) would prefer an extra drink rather than a refresher chew or a cola bottle

each to their own I guess, I just can't get head round it. We are thinking of photo booth at mo, and probably will but I guess folk don't care for that. But hey, at least we won't be responsible for rotting teeth and diabetes later on in life! ?

its not about money btw, we're not on any budget at all.

Like I say, my views and everyone's wedding is their own to do as they please,

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

We only have four children coming to our wedding and two are under two so I doubt they'll be having any, it's more for the adults! I have a bridesmaid who is obsessed with sweets (always has a cracking selection in her handbag!) so I am thinking of delegating this job to her!!

Each to their own I guess, that's what makes every wedding different :-) x

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I think favours are the most pointless wedding-related thing ever, they're invariably tat which I leave on the table. So we decided to do a pick n mix table as an alternative to favours. The intention is that people will take a bag home rather than stuffing themselves until they burst. We haven't done it because it's American or bang on trend or because we've gone mad,, but because we both have a sweet tooth and if there are leftovers we can take a bag of sweets on the plane when we go on honeymoon.

I think to suggest that people who have sweet tables are responsible for rotting teeth and diabetes is going a bit far, people are free to eat them or not - and one of my guests who is super excited about our sweet table is a dentist. So I will still sleep soundly.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

We aren't having children at our wedding but I'll be DIY a sweet table. i just think its something a bit different Smiley smile

each to their own though

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Favours are another thing I don't get and another total waste of money. Yet I am having them because my aunt who I was flower girl to and is my godmother insisted. ( my mum died when I was 21) so we're having homemade Scottish tablet made by her, bless her.

I just think there are lots of stuff that people could do without and people wouldn't notice one little bit. Most folk want to come to celebrate with the people they love and are not there to critique your decorations etc

would save people a lot of money for sure. Are the date cards? Wtf. Just email, phone or txt people. Then send out invites early. Anther cost you don't need?

• Jessyka1990
    Beginner June 2016
    Jessyka1990 ·
    • Hide content

We are considering a sweet table too, but also would like to do a diy photobooth so which one will depend on budget or possibly both if we end up with more budget left over than first thought.

Saying about obese children rotting teeth etc just because you have a sweet table imo is silly. People can say no.

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Adults can make up their own mind, children see what others children have and want same.

Like I said before, each to own etc.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I've been to two weddings with sweet tables. They were cool, but they weren't something I'd have missed if they weren't there. The wedding which had a "retro" sweetie buffet (think rhubarb and custard, cola cubes, flying saucers etc) was better than the one which just had the sort of everyday sweets you can find in any supermarket.

I agree that the pressure to have a "perfect" wedding (in your guests' eyes!) is getting ridiculous. As soon as we announced our engagement, we were inundated with comments like "You have to have a sweetie buffet/photobooth/marryoke! So-and-so had one at her wedding!" or "What are you doing for entertainment during the photos?" (Er, I thought people would, you know, talk to each other?!). It seems to be becoming a competition. It's great that there is all that choice, but to be honest, having been to several weddings now which have had something going on all day, I think it's just too much. It feels like the weddings are more about the guests than the bride and groom, and it loses my favourite bit of weddings (other than the ceremony, obviously) - catching up with people and having a good old natter.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Although its pretty common now, we had a sweet table for several reasons: 1) I love sweets, 2) we wanted evening guests to have a favour too (sweet table basically was our favours) 3) at roughly £60 it was cheaper than buying pointless favours, 4) it was decorative. We didn't have many kids at the wedding, none during the day and about 4 on the evening. I agree fat kids and indeed fat adults shouldn't be encouraged to eat sweets but it's a wedding for Christ's sake, are you also going to give them a low calorie meal and no wedding cake?

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

They're just a bit of fun. I hardly think a bag of sweets is going to give anyone diabetes!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One day of eating sweets is not going to cause teeth to fall out nor diabetes. What an utterly ridiculous and ignorant thing to say.

I trust you're serving salad (without dressing of course) for your wedding breakfast too to save your guests from obesity in the future.

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Just pointing this out, you do know that tablet is pure sugar and condensed milk?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Save the date, such a waste of money letting people know in advance your getting married so they don't book holidays etc on that particular date and as a way of announcing your engagement to people you don't necessarily talk to all the time .

Sweets... Have you seen how kids dance at weddings?? How do you know that they eat like that regular? I'll give an example of my wedding here, my neices due to their teeth have sweets once a week on Sunday however at special occasions they are allowed to have them at other time, so yes they would be digging in but that's all they would have for ages. And nope it's not due to bad teeth my sisters like that, they have something hereditary with their teeth.

I do think an expensive cocktail hour is a bit much imo however if affordable there's nothing nicer than a glass of sparkly I and perhaps a nibble provided whilst the wedding party are being photographed?

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm what some would call fat other cuddley..... I love sweets cake and ice cream so for my wedding I'm having all 3! There will also be favours on the table as they come in the package from our venue most likely they will be chocolate mini eggs..... I'm having a sweet cart with 30kg of sweets a huge 4 tier cake and an ice cream cart (my oh's choice as he doesn't like sweets) I'll probably forgo the food and just eat c*#p all day. Don't worry though I'll make sure I have some heartburn tablets on hand oh and there will be garden games to work it all off!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's not your responsibility to decree what people should eat based on their weight. Brides and grooms should have what they like at their weddings regardless of their reasons, and it's up to individuals to choose what they eat, or in the case of very young kids, their parents or guardians who are present. Unless you are the official health police, you don't get to say what adults should and shouldn't eat, and their weight is of no relevance. This is only one step away from shaming fat people "for their health", and it's called concern trolling. I don't care what you think about me eating sweets (and in fact I don't really like them), if I want to eat them I will.

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

re - save the date. When we got engaged and set a date we picked up the phone and told people, how novel.

Re - Tablet, yes of course I know that. I don't touch the stuff, bleeurgh- Only having it because my auntie insisted. I'd happily have no favours, no one would notice or care.

Re our meal, don't be ridiculous. its going be a regular meal which is well balanced, with a desert of course. bit touchy methinks. Smiley smile

Like I said, each to their own, if you like sweeties go for it. Its my own opinion and seeing all those kids run around with lollies stuck in their mouth made me think about it that's all. And I guess I see it as another expense in an already expensive day. But its your money and your day to spend how you like of course!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mrs Rees that sounds like my kinda wedding!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You've misunderstood me, did you read the rest of my comment? I was trying to point out the absurdity of the OP's argument that having a sweet table makes you responsible for diabetes! I'm of the opinion that no matter what size you should be allowed to indulge on special occasions e.g. Christmas, weddings... I certainly was not body shaming! I had a sweet table at our wedding ffs.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I did read the rest, but that part was what niggled me. And again, "people should be allowed to indulge on special occasions" is not great phrasing. People should be 'allowed' to eat what they want when they want. I get what you're trying to say, but it's just coming across a little bit contradictory.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Enjoy your think, I'll take a lolly in the meantime, I love them! I do agree that favours are expensive though. We also had Scottish tablet as we got married in Scotland, but I didn't eat any as I'm a vegan. I had a little bit of dairy free fudge as a substitute.

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

My big bro, his wife & 2 kids are vegan, didn't think about a dairy free option for them actually..

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I am touchy about any idiot that peddles the myth that eating sweets causes diabetes.

As you say, everyone can do what the hell they like at their own wedding, I am taking exception to your diabetes and rotting teeth comment. If you truly believe you are 'saving" people by not having a sweet table then surely you should carry on 'saving' people by not serving fattening foods or wedding cake. It's the same thing is it not?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, us vegans are used to not being catered for, but if it's your brother and his whole family it would be nice to come up with something for them. I'm sure it's possible to make vegan tablet but it would be difficult as it involves condensed milk - not something I would want to attempt personally, and I do a fair bit of vegan baking. You could always get the dairy free fudge I mentioned, they sell bags of it in big branches of Sainsburys and also in Holland & Barrett. I also had it for my SIL and niece who are dairy intolerant.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Alright, I'm going to bite, because I'm fed up, grumpy and if i vent it by responding to some of the more stupid comments here, then I might spare myself elsewhere......

It is YOUR wedding, do what you like and what suits you. But i would also hope that you and your guests will be in a celebratory mood, and your wedding will reflect that - do you spend the amount you spent on your wedding dress on every day outfits? Do you eat a 3 course meal daily, or eat cake, or drink champagne (or equivalent) every day? No, but for your wedding you push the boat out, you make it special - the same goes for sweet tables, it's a bloody treat for goodness sake, get over it and stop trying to be some moral guardian of other peoples lifestyle choices.

And as for favours being a waste of money or 'useless tat left lying around' what ungrateful guests you must be. As with every other aspect of your wedding, do what you want, and if you don't want them then fine, but it doesn't take much to put a bit of thought into them. Our favours were seeds, either sunflower seeds as they are my favourites and easy to grow, or a bee friendly hedgerow mix as H is a hobbyist bee keeper and bees are so vital for our environment. We had them in personalised envelopes with an explanation of why they had been chosen and a suggestion that people have a flower growing competiton with others on their table. I know for a fact that very few of ours were 'left lying around' as we cleared the venue ourselves, and i have had report from a number of groups since the wedding letting me know how their plants and competitions are going.

You know your guests, I will accept thst you can't please all the people all the time, but people are likely to be spending quite a bit to attend your wedding. In my opinion it doesnt hurt to give them a bit of thought and consideration.

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Think seeds are lovely idea, if I was having favours its probably what I'd have chosen.

not trying to be inflammatory, just voicing my own opinion, like I said above its your wedding & your money to decide what to spend it on , if we all agreed the world would be a boring place Smiley smile

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Inkeddoll, thanks for that. I did get them a nice vegan chocolate hamper at Christmas, might look at that site again. They're getting vegan meals obviously Smiley smile

• Runnergirl
    Beginner November 2015
    Runnergirl ·
    • Hide content

Dear Holey,

I am not saving anyone, nor trying to. I was merely voicing on my opinion on what I saw recently.

Ps, I am not an idiot but you are indeed very touchy, calm yourself down.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dunno YK, this sounds alright to me Smiley winking

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha ID, sounds pretty good to me too, but sadly but not within my day to day budget. I also doubt that you or I live up to Runner Girls obviously very high standards.

And RunnerGirl, yes, as you have stated, this is 'just your opinion' and indeed you are welcome to it, just as all the other posters are entitled to theirs. If you are going to be rude and self righteous though, you can expect to be called on it.

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

Go, find something on etsy...

thats many cool things there

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics