Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

emabee
Beginner August 2014

Sweetie table alternative?

emabee, 12 of April of 2014 at 13:16 Posted on Planning 0 32

Hi!

I really want to have something for my guests in the evening and was set on having a vintage ice cream tricycle which is £420. My Fiance thinks its a waste of money and so does my friend and that I should put the money behind the bar instead. A sweetie table has been suggested to me as its cheap and I can get the bits I need from £1 shops etc. Trouble is, I've seen sweetie tables at every wedding I've looked at and we are having jars of sweets on the tables during the day as favours.

Can anyone suggest a quirky alternative or am I just being overly fussy?? We just have a DJ in the evening.

What else are you all doing for your evening guests? xxxx

32 replies

Latest activity by MrsW2017, 22 of March of 2017 at 20:04
  • H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I am jumping on the sweet table band wagon, however the idea of an ice-cream cart is awesome! Maybe there is a cheaper way to do it, like borrowing a chest freezer (far out suggestion I know, they can be bought for next to nothing on car boot sites) and either a member of venue staff or a person you know who could do with some money to dish out the ice-cream Smiley smile Do you have a local independent ice-cream shop near you? They might be able to do you a deal on a selection of ice creams. They might even chuck in a member of their staff to help out! Failing that, how about ice-cream sodas? Again, all you would need is a table, a person and small freezer (maybe you could borrow the venue's), and they just get a fresh tub of ice-cream when needed. Have a look online at some cool ice-cream soda combinations to keep it lively Smiley smile HTH x

• Mrs P to be 2015
    Beginner March 2015
    Mrs P to be 2015 ·
    • Hide content

You could always do a popcorn table instead. Different flavours of gourmet popcorn which your guests can scoop into bags or cones. It shouldn't cost much more than a sweetie table but is still a little bit different.

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

I guess I have to think about the cost....a sweetie table wouldn't cost me much compared to the ice cream thing. Also, we're getting married on August bank holiday so it'll probably rain! Ha ha!

I really wanted a magician during the day but couldn't afford that and the ice cream trike. Maybe I should spend the money on the magician instead?

It's so hard not to go mad!! x

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Popcorn table?!? AWESOME IDEA! Smiley smile

• TwoDucks
    Beginner December 2014
    TwoDucks ·
    • Hide content

I don't think its a waste of money if you really want it, but then again I love ice cream! I'd definitely have one if we weren't getting married in November!

i agree about the sweetie table, me and H2B are totally sweet fiends but I do think it's been done a lot, so will follow this thread for the different suggestions.

LOVE the popcorn table idea!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Who really wants to eat ice cream after a few drinks/in the middle of a party? I don't get the whole sweet table thing either though - it's a wedding not a kids party. We are serving cheese boards and wedding cake in the evening.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

If I could have anything it would be a crisps and pretzels table, those are the things I crave when I'm drinking. Would probably just be weird though and I also don't want to give myself anything else to have to arrange.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I love sweetie tables and had originally wanted one when I came across one at a wedding a year ago. Now they are everywhere and the wedding we're going to next month has one so I don't think we're going to bother tbh. But it's like all things wedding - if you want one then go for it. I like the idea of popcorn, it's alittle bit different although I've seenit now a few times as an idea fom people.

Weddings just seem to be getting bigger and more and more expensive by the season with every season delivering the new must have.

Are you not having any food in the evening? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I would offer a buffet of smoe kind rather than sweets. If there's a bar then people need something to soak the alcohol up imho. x

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

LOVE the popcorn table idea but we MIGHT be having popcorn instead of canapes with the Reception drinks, I haven't decided yet.

We're also having bacon sandwiches in the evening, cheese boards etc was too expensive at te venue unfortunately :0(

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! I would eat sweets all the time too if I wasn't trying to lose weight to fit in my wedding dress!!!!

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Candy Floss?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We're having a sweetie ferris wheel that OH is making himself but then we have loads and loads of kiddies coming to our evening do so it's mainly for them. besides, our wedding reception is going to be a bit like a kids school disco so why the hell not lol.

I think whatever you decide has to be a joint decision between you and your fiance rather than something just one of you wants but there are loads of other suggestions here - I love the popcorn one tbh and I've seen various adverts for popcorn carts on facebook so it can be done ?

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

Ha! OH doesn't really care what I do....he'll just turn up on the day!

He loves the ice cream idea to but thinks its a waste of money purely because he doesn't think people will eat it.......x

• beccak
    Beginner September 2014
    beccak ·
    • Hide content

I'm having crepes in the evening. I had sort of forgotten about this until this morning when I remembered again when on the phone to my mum and got really excited again! We're paying £265 which allows for 2 crepes (sweet and savoury options) for each of our 25 guests.

• D
    Beginner July 2014
    darren101 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We have a Dj and a Caricature coming so this is our gift to our guests - i did also want sweets but was told not many people would eat them but i would think that is a bonus as i could take all the sweets home with me Smiley smile hope you find something - popcorn table does sound good, or a chocolate fountain.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd eat ice cream anytime!

I know that sweet tables are really common now because we've seen so many in planning, but in practice none of my friends had one, and they haven't been at any with them! My 65 year old uncle asked me if we were having one, as he'd been at a wedding recently and loved the sweeties. So I'm happy that my guest will like it, even though it's not the most original idea! My MF is totally mad for kiddie's sweeties and people know that, so it is relevent to him. I've drawn the line at having Smirnoff Ice (his drink of choice) at the bar though!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm I'm having this dillema too. The last four wedding I've been to all had sweetie tables it's been done to death. We're having buffet, cake and a cheese cake in the evening might leave it at that or get a chocolate fountain too, don't see these much at weddings anymore.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My bets are the adults will be pushing the kiddies out the way to get to it!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• Cupcake26
    Beginner August 2015
    Cupcake26 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a candy cart and my BMs have told me that if I don't know where they at any point in the day then be sure to look there!

xXx

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I've never been at a wedding and needed entertaining. Wine, some people to talk to and music to dance to and I'm happy.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we did that mixed with our sweets! we also had cupcake bouquets put on all the tables at night.

• lottie.f
    Beginner July 2014
    lottie.f ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of crepes! To me the idea of a sweet bar fits in nicely instead of canapes during a drinks reception, but not instead of food in the evening. I wouldn't want something sweet after the meal/cake.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Mmm. I'd love an olive bar, but I'm almost certain that my family wouldn't go anywhere near it Smiley sad

Saw some pinterest pics of milk and cookies bars, they looked yum!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This with port and prosecco, no sweet tables here either.

• A
    Beginner August 2014
    AugBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing pic n mix bags made up already and presented in a wicker basket with my guest book xx

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Could the venue to make you a special cocktail or how about a piñata a slight twist on the sweetie buffet. Personally I would be hanging out with the ice cream.x

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

I watched 4 weddings once and they had a mash Potato bar and people picked toppings for the mash potato cone, very random!

Were having a sweet cart and a chocolate fountain (because we're big kids) and a cheese and pork pie cake (because we think the sweets and chocolate are not unhealthy enough!)

candy floss and popcorn are a good idea tho I think they would work well plus the smell of popcorn is amazing lol

xx

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyBrownCars761 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, my brother booked an ice cream tricycle for his wedding and we loved it that much we doing the same again for our wedding. We booked a company called my magical moments and they are very competitively priced. They also do a sweet Tricycle which again is a very quirky idea.

I'd definitely say go for it.

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I

love the popcorn idea and cheeseboards, breads, nuts etc

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I love the ice cream bike idea too. I saw a pimp your cupcake bar on Pinterest which I love, different icings and toppings to add to the cupcakes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics